Blue Badge holders are permitted to use our Parent & Child bays

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Georgie 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117476 Reply

martino

i found this, i didnt know you can do this

from saga magazine web site

Can blue badge holders park in parent and child spaces?
    I can confirm Blue Badge holders are permitted to use our Parent & Child bays if the disabled spaces are full. The vast majority of our customers are very considerate of parents with young children and respect family bays.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117479 Reply

Michael

Hi, who’s bays are they referring to all supermarkets shops who

#117492 Reply

Matt

I think the word ‘our’ is important. If a car park is privately owned then the landlords can make certain changes/allow for discretion where they feel appropriate. Suspect checking with your local council will give more general clarification on this.

#117498 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

It all seems a bit unfair to me. I would never deprive anyone with a baby a space.

#117499 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

I only park in then if I have one of my grandkids in the car with us.
    I agree we shouldn’t use them as I can see it causing arguments and people with kids parking in disabled bays.

Tiguan fan boy

#117504 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Good man Phil

#117506 Reply

martino

Michael after reading they say to check with the car park i think

#117509 Reply

72 dudes

News to me.

How many of us would be happy if a people carrier full of kids rocked up in a disabled space because the parent and child spaces were all full?

#117519 Reply

martino

i seen that

in supper market car parks people without badges always park in disable bays

iv spoke to staff i know and they said theres nothing they can do

#117536 Reply

crippleddad
    Participant

I absolutely hate using my badges. It’s like a thousand eyes on me when I do park in one, even from other disabled drivers sat in their cars.

#117537 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Maybe it’s just the area I live in, North Wales, but parking abuse is the norm here. Work vans in both disabled/parent parking, people with no kids in parent bays and, at times, when disabled bays are full, ~30% with no badge.
    I am disabled from birth but absolutely refused through sheer bloody mindedness, to have a badge until my late 40’s and would never have parked in a bay except with our children!
    I’ve never been able to get in and out of a car without having the door fully open and have to slowly swing myself in and out and, at considerable discomfort, always used to park in the farthest corner of a car park so other cars were less likely to be parked near to me.  But now I’ve succumbed as my condition has deteriorated and use a badge, I’m surprised at how rife it is here.
    Tesco were in the news about this about 12 months ago and stated they took parking abuse very serious and managed it well. Sadly, not here they don’t.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117538 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I also park in disabled bay at my big Tesco can get in easy as go at 7am in morning last week a lovely old man in a Toyota Chr came along side me we had a good chat about the car mpg etc I find the drivers in the disabled spaces very friendly

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#117540 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Very true Mike. 😁

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117541 Reply

Ian

On the odd occasion they are closer to the doors than the disabled bays I use them.  While we all appreciate how much we need room to fully open doors and it can’t be easy with prams etc. Usain Bolt could be the parent parking up, why does he need to park right next to the doors?

#117554 Reply

Saintsman

I use them all the time when I go out with my kids. The fact that my youngest is 20 doesn’t matter, she’s still my child…………………..

Only kidding, obviously 😀

#117559 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I think the parent and child parking spaces get more abuse than BB spaces.

The definition of a child for these spaces is 12 years old and would say 25% or more have no child with them and another 25% the kids are over 12.

On the rare occasion I’ve had to use P & C spaces has been because of BB spaces are being used by cars with no BB. On any given day I estimate the BB abuse runs at about 10 to 15% though the past few months its about 80% as I assume people think all disabled folk are locked up in their homes so the spaces are not needed.

#117560 Reply

Georgie

I’ve never had a problem with parking in a Parent and Child Bay using my Blue Badge when the Disabled Bays are full, which is usually the case at my nearest shops because there are only 2 Disabled Bays in the ‘level’ car park, but 6 Parent and Child Bays.  To be fair, there are 6 Disabled Bays on the other side of the shops, side-on down the length of a really steep hill.  It’s all ‘up hill’ getting back to your car with your shopping, naturally. 🙂

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Blue Badge holders are permitted to use our Parent & Child bays

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: