Blimey Northern Lights in my back yard tonight Thats a 1st for me

• Creator
    Topic
    Ele
    Participant

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MickC
      Participant

Ive been watching them here in Sheffield.

Ele
        Participant

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Ele.
          joss

At what time was  it visable to you guys?

Joss
            Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

kezo
            Participant

Wow!

Something I have always wanted to go and see tbh.

DumfriesDik
              Participant

How it started

And it went on with:

And ended with:

Irongrey Church near Dumfries from 11.00 til 12.00.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Ele
                Participant

Saw this around midnight

S/UK

Only knew as my daughter got wind as it was trending on social media

Ele
                  Participant

Stunning 🙂

Glos Guy
                    Participant

Some great photos. Out of interest, could you see much colour with the naked eye? The reason I ask is that when we get the lights this far south they generally appear white to the naked eye, but the camera lens picks out the colour as it can detect things that the human eye can’t.

DumfriesDik
                      Participant

The lights were right above us and yes you could see them but not as in the photos that is for sure. You could see the curtain moving around and the colour changes, but nothing like the photos.

I am glad to have ticked it off my bucket list!!

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Glos Guy
                        Participant

The lights were right above us and yes you could see them but not as in the photos that is for sure. You could see the curtain moving around and the colour changes, but nothing like the photos. I am glad to have ticked it off my bucket list!!

If you saw any colour in them with the naked eye then you did really well and were very lucky, as that’s very rare in the U.K. other than sometimes in the North of Scotland. The photos that we see taken in the rest of the U.K. are almost always as seen by the camera lens and not as seen by the naked eye.

I’ve been to the Arctic Circle twice specifically to see them, around the Spring Equinox (March) when they are most active. The second time we saw nothing other than a few white whisps. Photographers were very excited as they came out as bright green on camera, but that’s not what they’d actually seen. However, the first time we went coincided with a solar flare that had left the sun a few days before (as has just happened) and we had two nights of stunning displays. At one stage, the entire sky was alive with them, greens, purples and reds in all sorts of shapes and patterns, like a ginormous animation show – and the colours were all visible to the naked eye. That was in Alta at the top of Norway and it was -25 degrees at the time, but it was a bucket list thing that I shall take to my grave.

kezo
                          Participant

There’s been this extreme geomagnetic solar storm over the past couple of nights, which probably explains why they are being seen much further south of the Shetlands etc.

@DumfriesDic nice pics mate.

Rich44
                            Participant

Yeah visible with the naked eye in North Norfolk really enjoy lack of light pollution

This was over our house

Rich44
                              Participant

This is all pretty and all, this was a glancing blow from a G5 storm. This was nothing compared to the Carrington event in 1859. I dread to think what’ll happen when we get smacked with one of those because it’s when not if and we’ve had plenty of very close calls, 2012 was the closest I think. The quote was if the 2012 storm had directly hit us we’d still be picking up the pieces today.

Knowing how daft humans are we won’t use the 24 hour notice to save the power grids etc and we’ll get blasted back 200 years.

Just wanted to cheer everyone up after looking at all the nice pictures 😁

DumfriesDik
                                Participant

If you saw any colour in them with the naked eye then you did really well and were very lucky, as that’s very rare in the U.K.

At the start of darkness you could see the white veil like streaks above the tree as per the first photo. It was kind of eerie. And as it became darker so you could see the reds and greens dancing around, it was easy to see where to point the camera. The final picture of the church, you could not see the purple, but you could see there was something there, the photograph revealed all.

And you are right, I did feel very, very,  lucky. All images taken on an iPhone 14 Pro Max and no processing.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Rich44
                                  Participant

A lot of people went out looked and went nothing there and gave up but if you went out and looked waited for the rhodopsin to do its job after 10-15 mins what you could see with the naked eye was amazing and via a normal photo incredible not even a long exposure.

Like with any phone photo tho Inc the iPhone there is a lot of processing done to enhance the image even if we don’t do any ourselves. This is as it came out it wasn’t quite that clear with the naked eye but it was really close

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.