Are motability “fines” punitive?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #178672 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

From what I can make out, from posts on the Forum, changing your car early invokes a “fine”. The first being for £60, if you change early, a second time it’s £250 and if you do it a third time you are, apparently, removed from the scheme. Surely it should be a simple “yes you can change early” or no you can’t”. I fully understand that changing your car early is at the discretion of motability operations and I accept that.

I was charged £60 last year for an early change, which is not a problem for me but many on the scheme are struggling for cash so a fine on top of paying an AP seems punitive and in my opinion there shouldn’t be a punishment on a scheme for the disabled for something like this.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #178675 Reply
    rox
    Participant

It’s one of those catch 22 situations, I guess it depends on your reasons for changing. No one knows what will happen in the next 3 years regarding there condition or what life changes will happen. all imo are valid reasons why a car may not be suitable anymore and you should not be charged, but we all have agreed to a 3 year lease and that the car is suitable for our needs.

I guess after the 1st time one should know better and make sure it suits your needs, but even then things might change. The issue is some might change for other reasons, like they just want another car thats new on the scheme and wasn’t available before. So they do need to have something in place, to protect us all and the scheme viability.

Many because of covid didn’t get test drives or the car you test drove is not the actual model you will be getting, so thats another thing to consider.

I personally make sure i get to sit in the exact seats i will be getting after a bad experience with the golf match edition seats, I didn’t cancel early though got a padded seat cover thing, but I hated driving that car as it became more and more uncomfortable the longer the journey, after 20 mins was unbearable. The honda civic i got now the seats are great.

#178673 Reply
    Michael

Hi, It would appere it could be anadmin charge and cannot be a fine in the legal sense.

Secony, why the constant changes of a car you have chosen prior to accepting the car, carfull thought and research in to your situation should reduce such changes to maybe once.

Just a opinion

#178699 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

When I had to terminate early I was quoted £50, this fee was to cover the additional admin involved, which I thought was reasonable. Again I was told if a 2nd early termination was necessary, it would be the full £250. I am not sure if other leasing companies offer early termination?

#178708 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

I think so. To dissuade folk from changing cars willy nilly.

But as others have said, if there is a ‘need’, I hope it could be waived.

If you pay an AP, don’t you get a proportion of that back?

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#178715 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I think so. To dissuade folk from changing cars willy nilly. But as others have said, if there is a ‘need’, I hope it could be waived. If you pay an AP, don’t you get a proportion of that back?

I think so. To dissuade folk from changing cars willy nilly. But as others have said, if there is a ‘need’, I hope it could be waived. If you pay an AP, don’t you get a proportion of that back?

Yes, Ap is refunded pro-rata.

#178718 Reply
    Gordon

As per some of the comments, there will be people changing for all sorts of reasons and sadly some will be because they want something new or better that previously wasn’t available. I ordered a Toyota Prius + a couple of years ago but there wasn’t a single dealership in Scotland (I phoned them all) who could offer me a test drive. Having previously encountered very uncomfortable seats, I took the chance and ordered it. Thankfully the seats are extremely comfortable, unlike my friends Volvo where I manage about 20 mins max. If I had had to change, I would expect motability who is sitting on enormous cash reserves to cover the admin cost but I know the answer would be that I shouldn’t have ordered it without a test drive. Catch 22 as I wasn’t prepared to drive 350 miles each way for a test drive in England.

#178733 Reply
    BobMac

I collected new Mokka in Dec last after a 6 month wait. During this time the condition of my spine deteriorated. I could not get in or out of the seating position without discomfort. The car is advertised as high seating position, i did not find this to be the case. Motability have allowed me to change the car with a payment of £50 which i found to be reasonable. Motability adviser told me i was entitled to some new payment when i collect the new car, a Grandland ultimate, and there may be a further repayment to come. I will wait and see, plenty of time to wait and plenty of driving time for my wife between now and July when car should arrive. All in all a very good response from Motability.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Are motability “fines” punitive?
Your information: