Anyone having problems with xc40 seats?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138565 Reply
    Brydo

We had an xc60 for five years, best car we ever had, the seats were very supportive and comfortable. We recently moved over to the xc40 expecting the same level of comfort, however over the past few weeks, I have experienced a problem with the sciatic nerve in my left leg. Initially I just ignored it but its gradually got worse. I didn’t,initially,  put it down to the xc40 seat but after feeling it being aggravated during driving I inspected the chair and found a “hard” section to the front of the seat, exactly where I am experiencing the pain in my leg.

I have booked it in for an inspection, so let’s see what that shows up, and I am about to phone motability to keep them in the loop.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #138597 Reply
    72 Dudes

Hi Brydo,

Sorry to hear this.

As you know, Bionic Rusty has been having similar problems, and I recall somebody else over on the XC40 forum having problems earlier last year.

Ours is an Inscription (non Pro) and the seats are marvellous.

From the little I know, it does seem to be the Pro models with the extendable bases which account for the few affected.

Hope Motability are sympathetic – this may be a way to change the car, as I recall you’re also disappointed with the MPG!

#138598 Reply
    martinod

that is worrying iv still got my xc60 over 5 years now and i agree its a great car yes best car iv had , since theres no xc60 on any more iv been looking at xc40  thought cant go try it cause of lockdown , the volvo dealer when i picked my xc60 after mot in aug told me you cant try the xc40 but its almost the same as xc60 , that sounds great .

But listening to people on here complain about different issues with the xc40 maybe its not as good as the salesman made out

one issue the mpg and heres another issue the seats

brydo google problems with xc40 seats see what comes up because the dealer same one as my xc60 the dealer will look at it and say no problems with the seat its just you , i wounder what other issues will appear  ..

they did that with me when my xc60 kept cutting out yet when i google it volvo have knoen about the issue for years , so i dont trust them

#138600 Reply
    72 Dudes

Martinod said:

“But listening to people on here complain about different issues with the xc40 maybe its not as good as the salesman made out”

Lol, I think that goes for all car salesmen Martinod, not just yours!

To paraphrase Judge Judy: “How do you know when a Car Salesman is lying? His lips are moving”

#138603 Reply
    martinod

72 Dudes yes you correct one is as bad as another , when you get a car and it makes you sore/unwell and your stuck with it for 3 years you end up not going out , one issue i see is only getting 15 min test drive maybe 1 hour i dont think thats good for lots of motability customers because its not just to see how it drives but how you can manage getting in n out how you are after a long time driving

#138606 Reply
    Brydo

This is a problem going forward as I’m doing very few miles and it’s still a problem. I could, and will, try a cushion and see if it makes a difference but I don’t really want to drive about sitting on a cushion.

I contacted motability and they were sympathetic so let’s see what the inspection brings.

#138607 Reply
    Brydo

The problem with any test drive is the car you drive isn’t the car you get, so although very similar, not identical.

#138618 Reply
    Louise

Yes the seats are awful!  When I had a test drive, my husband drove the majority of the time so I was in the passenger seat, when we came back to the dealer I remarked on how uncomfortable the passenger seat was and the salesman made me feel as if I was imagining it.  He moved the seat and said I had it in the wrong position etc and wouldn’t accept that it was the cushioning.  The drivers seat seemed to be a little less like sitting on springs.  At least I now know I definitely wasn’t imagining it!

#138628 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

I think Volvo must’ve gone through the Geely reject bin for some spare seats for the Inscription models recently! We’ve had an R Design since last October and the seats are really good, comfortable, supportive, and well padded. Of course, like most of us, I haven’t done more than 70 miles in one go yet thanks to lockdown, but I’m fairly sure I could do a good distance without issue. I will say that the lumbar support isn’t as good as the XC60, it just doesn’t go rock hard enough for me, but for most people it’d be fine I’m sure.

#138651 Reply
    des

Brydo I’ve been sitting on a folded up towel now for 3 years. The seats in the 3008 are brutal tbh

#138656 Reply
    crippleddad
    Participant

I’ve lots of criticism for the xc40, my r design pro seats are the most comfortable I’ve ever sat in.

#138661 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Different car i know but this is exactly the issue i had with my 3008, a hard lip across the front of the seat that after almost 8 months was causing so much pain i could hardly walk some days. Had it inspected several times and as predicted they could find no faults whatsoever but Motability agreed to swap it, they were brilliant the way they handled it.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#138712 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Prior to re-joining the Motability scheme we owned a high specification Honda CRV the seats were very supportive and comfortable especially on long journeys.

Our Motability Ford Kuga seats were nowhere as near as comfortable very similar to what you are experiencing Brydo, despite have a long test drive these thing do not really show themselves up until you travel a very long distance, then it is downhill from there uncomfortable most journeys.

Our latest Motability car Mitsubishi Outlander seats very comfortable but I could do with the seat just going further back . No were near as comfortable as either our Audi A4 or Honda CRV

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#138814 Reply
    Gordon

I had a Volvo a number of years ago and had exactly the same problem with pain in my left leg. It turned out to be the seat and I had to terminate the lease early because the pain got worse and worse. It was pressure under the leg.

#138820 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Morning All.

Yes, it’s true. 72 Dudes is spot on.
    I have an Inscription Pro and the seats have the knee extension. As far as I can make out, this is causing my problem.

The seat pad is split into three sections and it’s the middle section that is the issue. It had a solid plate underneath that the seat pad is sitting (🙄) on and I am, in turn, sitting right on this. I’ve likened it to sitting on a wooden stool, on a towel. It was due to go back in but it’s been postponed. This delay is only adding to the issue as the pad itself is compressing/bedding in and becoming worse. And it’s not like I’m heavy, I’m under 10 stone.

The problem, as I see it, is that there’s no way on earth that Volvo will rectify this due to cost. At best it would need a modification and at worse a new seat.
    I am going to get it in ASAP but I’m not hopeful.
    There’s a number of posts about this on forums (web and Facebook) and appears to affect the early MY21 cars.

Apart from a few other niggles, I love it and so will be gutted if it needs to go back. And added to that, the current AP’s will mean most of my previous choices just don’t make financial sense any more.
    😞

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#138841 Reply
    Macca

It’s a little ironic that I found the seat in the old XC60 really uncomfortable, yet the seat in our XC40 is great. I’m 6’2″ and 19 stone too.

#138862 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It’s a little ironic that I found the seat in the old XC60 really uncomfortable, yet the seat in our XC40 is great. I’m 6’2″ and 19 stone too.

Which exact model do you have Macca? As far as I can tell (and I’ve only been half following this), the problem seems to be mostly with Inscription Pro models. That car is on my shortlist but these seat issues and the poor mpg being reported is putting me off. Reviews that I have seen say that the best model to get is the R-Design, but I tend to go for luxury over sporty looks.

#138876 Reply
    Graham

Hi……Like the others, I to have had the pleasure of having a Volvo XC60 on the scheme. Definitely the best car I have had in the 28 years with Motability. Superbly comfortable, only complaint was from my 6ft 3in son who found the rear legroom to be lacking. After having it for over 5 years I had trouble finding a replacement, the obvious choice being the XC40, my Volvo dealer loaned one to me for a 48hr test, during which I realised it was not the car for me as the driving position/ seat was hugely different to the XC60. I found myself sitting far to low in the car.  After shortlisting the Ford Kuga, Peugeot 5008 and Toyota Rav4 ,I have ended up with the Rav4 ,and so far am not regretting it and really happy with my choice. Even got £500 discount of the advance payment 🙂

#138897 Reply
    Macca

It’s an R Design Pro 2wd B4 Auto

Mac.

#138899 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It’s an R Design Pro 2wd B4 Auto Mac.

Interesting. Are the seats in the R Design Pro different to those in the Inscription Pro?

#138902 Reply
    Macca

They look the same to me just in a different covering, but who knows what’s under the skin. I was gonna pay extra for the leather upgrade in ours, but went with the standard half leather after seeing it in the flesh. No regrets on that and saved £900.

#175153 Reply
    Jonathan BOWMAN

Just bought an XC40 and the front seats definitely have a bar going across which causes discomfort. Did not notice it on the test drive, but when I was sitting in it after I had just bought it, and the salesman was talking me through the features for about 30 minutes I commented on it as it had just become apparent. His reply: ‘you’ve just been sitting in the same position too long!’ I have tried various adjustments but the problem remains. I suspect it has to do with the leg length extension. Not impressed.

#175159 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Just bought an XC40 and the front seats definitely have a bar going across which causes discomfort. Did not notice it on the test drive, but when I was sitting in it after I had just bought it, and the salesman was talking me through the features for about 30 minutes I commented on it as it had just become apparent. His reply: ‘you’ve just been sitting in the same position too long!’ I have tried various adjustments but the problem remains. I suspect it has to do with the leg length extension. Not impressed.

Jonathan – I don’t have an XC40 but I have a BMW X1 with sport seats and extendable under thigh support. I have sciatica so am quite sensitive to these issues. If I extend the under thigh support I can feel a slight ridge, which isn’t a bar but the inner edge of the extended cushion beyond the ‘gap’ that it creates between the pad and the seat. If I retract the pad completely I can’t feel anything. Even though I am 6ft 2 I find that this position provides more than enough under thigh support for me and I don’t have any discomfort driving the car, even on long journeys, which is a relief as I was worried that we might regret opting for them. I’m sure that you’ve tried this, but I thought that I’d mention it as most people with sport seats seem to have the under thigh support extended, even if only slightly.

#175173 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

This question of a bar was being discussed in a forum when we test drove XC40s last year, so I made a point of feeling for it. I could detect a bar in the standard fabric seats of one car we drove but not so as to cause discomfort, but not in the Pro seats. We have the leather Pro seats with extensions on our present XC40 and obviously there is a ridge and gap when the seat is extended (I have it in the second of three positions) but I have not found it uncomfortable.  I also suffer from sciatica, Glos Guy!  I have the seat position such that I get light support of the backs of my thighs, not such that my legs hang off the seat creating pressure.

#175178 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

This question of a bar was being discussed in a forum when we test drove XC40s last year, so I made a point of feeling for it. I could detect a bar in the standard fabric seats of one car we drove but not so as to cause discomfort, but not in the Pro seats. We have the leather Pro seats with extensions on our present XC40 and obviously there is a ridge and gap when the seat is extended (I have it in the second of three positions) but I have not found it uncomfortable. I also suffer from sciatica, Glos Guy! I have the seat position such that I get light support of the backs of my thighs, not such that my legs hang off the seat creating pressure.

I forgot to mention that I find the tilt function on the Sport seats on our BMW to be very useful. I found that rather than having the under thigh pad extended, if I tilt the seat backwards very slightly (so that the front of the seat base raises) I get more than adequate under thigh support even with the pad fully retracted.

#175251 Reply
    sif

Oscarmax. Its easy to get the seat sorted. There’s a company in Derby comes to your house and extends the runners, for a modest amount.  My Kona is perfect, but I looked into it because some other cars I tested would not go back far enough. I am sure other companies do it. When I was young all we did was swap the seats out from a scrap yard. Lots of forums on every car are full of people who do the same thing. You can always find out which other seats would fit and just swap them over. Maybe the xc60 seats are a straight swap.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Anyone having problems with xc40 seats?
Your information: