Aldi Costa Rica Instant Coffee

• Creator
    Topic
    Jojoe
    Participant

I usually buy Nescafe or Lor coffee, the purple jar which I think is a blend of Costa Rican coffee. They are both very nice. I try and get them when they are on offer at £3.50, but latest price increases mean the offer price is now £5 for 95g.

I saw Aldi had a jar of Costa Rican in the tell tale purple rip off jar, it was £2,09. It’s absolutely lovely, the taste is very similar to Lor, not quite as intense as the Nescafé version, but a more heaped spoon of coffee will help. I won’t be going back to the branded stuff and it seems I’m not alone, found this article online.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/22201522/shoppers-rush-aldis-own-brand-coffee-bargain/amp/

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

Does it have the number 3 on the jar?

Remember trying one not so long ago and can’t remember which was it was, other than the number 3, which wasn’t to our taste, I’ll give their Columbia one a try though, which will be a bit stronger.

Jojoe
        Participant

@kezo, yes it was number 3. For us, coming from the Alta Rica blend it was the perfect match. I’ll try the number 4 myself, at £2.09 you can’t complain.

kezo
          Participant

Exaxtly, £4.18 for 2 jars is way cheaper than named brands if after buying one jar you like it. If not giving it to a family member or friend won’t bankrupt you. Gave mthe Costa Rica to my parents to try, so not wasted. However I prefer real coffee 🙂

Jojoe
            Participant

I have a Dolce Gusto machine and like an Espresso, I do it with more water than recommended. Problem with these machines is the small size of drink they make, I like a decent mug full. I like the look of the bean to cup machines but I can’t justify the minimum £400 outlay for the 2 cups a day (before noon) I allow myself.

kezo
              Participant

You’d be better going with a proper e35 espresso machine but the aren’t cheap. My old machine broke and I bought a £1k Lelit Elizabeth, that went wrong in under a month so got a refund. @Struth has a Sage machinewhich again is around a grand butm you can get much cheaper ones, however its hardly wotyh the outlay for 2 mugs a day.

A modern take on a Percolator might benifit you, where you can buy ground real coffee or whole beans (need a grinder), which can be had cheaply circ £50 to more expensive ones like the Sage precision brew. Superior to these Dolce machine and jar coffee.

MickC
                Participant

No4 …for me bought it for a number years now.

Jojoe
                  Participant

You’d be better going with a proper e35 espresso machine but the aren’t cheap. My old machine broke and I bought a £1k Lelit Elizabeth, that went wrong in under a month so got a refund. @Struth has a Sage machinewhich again is around a grand butm you can get much cheaper ones, however its hardly wotyh the outlay for 2 mugs a day. A modern take on a Percolator might benifit you, where you can buy ground real coffee or whole beans (need a grinder), which can be had cheaply circ £50 to more expensive ones like the Sage precision brew. Superior to these Dolce machine and jar coffee.

I had a few types of percolator years ago, but always found they didn’t keep the coffee hot enough for me. I may go down the route of a grinder and cafetière.

Jojoe
                    Participant

No4 …for me bought it for a number years now.

Defo gonna try the No4 myself. I’ve been very surprised at the quality of No3 and how similar it is to the branded stuff.

Ioniq
                      Participant

Bean to cup machines, never paid more than £280 For one. Currently using the DeLonghi Magnifica, produces excellent coffee. My mates got a Sage and that is £500 plus and the magnifica is way better than the Sage. I buy my beans at Costco, its about £10-£12 for a 1 kg bag and they are excellent beans.

I make a cappuccino rather than coffee wi a splash of milk. I usually have 2 cups of cappuccino before breakfast.

Pod machines, I worked it out I would be spending £2500 per year on pods wi the amount of coffee I drink.

kezo
                        Participant

@ioniq a double boiler Espresso machine will produce superior coffee and frothed milk akin to a coffee shop – even with the fancy patterns in the milk, you won’t get from B2C machines lol.

Ioniq
                          Participant

@kezo

The machine I use is more advanced than your espresso machine.

It HAS a double boiler, and frothing wand. It makes a wide range of  coffee’s, and it has its own grinder. That is why its called a bean to cup.

The quality of coffee is determined by the bean and the brewing unit.

It produces consistency, and a wider range of drinks than an espresso machine.

The strength and quantity is easily and consistently controlled.

Participant

mine is a sage oracle touch.. alas its nearer 2k but is bloody great especially as i cant stand long etc[the main reason i spent so much really] as for coffee, there really imo no way round the expense of buying fresh and good beans from a good source. i get mine from wogan in bristol. i usually take their legacy blend for my flat whites..

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                              Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

kezo
                              Participant

@kezo The machine I use is more advanced than your espresso machine. It HAS a double boiler, and frothing wand. It makes a wide range of coffee’s, and it has its own grinder. That is why its called a bean to cup. The quality of coffee is determined by the bean and the brewing unit. It produces consistency, and a wider range of drinks than an espresso machine. The strength and quantity is easily and consistently controlled.

Depends what you mean by more advanced – All in one, one touch isn’t more advanced, its convenience.

Delonghi as with most B2C machines have one or two thermoblocks and are misrepresnted as actual boilers, which they are not.

The quality of coffee is determined by not only the brewing unit but pump pressure. E61 groupe Espresso Machines have a tightly controlled pump pressure of 9 bar, which is refered to as the Gold Standard. Delonghi and most other B2C have a pump pressureof 15 bar.

An Espresso machine will equally produce any drink you want. A double boiler Espresso machine has two actual boilers (similar to those seen in electric showers) one for brew, one for steam with back up of brew boiler, so steam is plentyfull and enables the milk constituency to produce the fancy bean or other patterns you see in coffee shops.

Your friends £500 Sage will have a single boiler, the £1k up Sage machines which @struth has, has 2 boilers and PID controlled equal to those in coffe shops.

I have a ceramic bur grinder which is by far the best type and a steel grinder (yes takes up space) each one cost a pretty penny. But I’m a massive coffee lover and like to make it as the best coffee houses do. I personally couldn’t go back to bean to cup machines and I doubt @struth would.

Don’t get me wrong bean to cup produce nice coffee and are more convenient one touch machines for most, even my parents have one. If you want the best coffee going equall to the most elaborate coffee house a proper machine s the way to go but, they are a steep learning curve and far less convenient 🙂

kezo
                                Participant

i get mine from wogan in bristol. i usually take their legacy blend for my flat whites..

I’ll have to give them a try mate.

I’m lucky there are two bean roasting companies near me Chimney fire and Ferrari’s both produce decent fresh roasted beans. I gave up on shop bought years ago.

Currently using my old Proftec pro 600, as sent the Lelit back if you remember, waiting on money tree to sprout and will get a Rocket.

Participant

i get mine from wogan in bristol. i usually take their legacy blend for my flat whites..

I’ll have to give them a try mate. I’m lucky there are two bean roasting companies near me Chimney fire and Ferrari’s both produce decent fresh roasted beans. I gave up on shop bought years ago. Currently using my old Proftec pro 600, as sent the Lelit back if you remember, waiting on money tree to sprout and will get a Rocket.

a good machine that. i have to say the top line sage is a stunning machine. its not all pipes and taps etc but it looks handsome, weighs a lot but has a pop out caster system and reall makes great coffee. you gotta set up right and as your used to pro stuff it would be aesy for your skill sets. then its just about tweaking it as milk and coffee ages etc.

Participant

this is one i use. https://wogancoffee.com/products/legacy-blend

kezo
                                      Participant

I’ll order some to try 🙂

Adrian_H
                                        Participant

@Jojoe I hear you re liking a good coffee but in a longer drink than the pod machines serve. The Dolce Gusto Piccolo machine isn’t an auto shutoff, you can let it run to give you the size drink you want and choose when to flip the lever to stop it. Of course the more water you add then the less strong your drink becomes but you can play around to find the right balance for you.

Jojoe
                                          Participant

@Jojoe I hear you re liking a good coffee but in a longer drink than the pod machines serve. The Dolce Gusto Piccolo machine isn’t an auto shutoff, you can let it run to give you the size drink you want and choose when to flip the lever to stop it. Of course the more water you add then the less strong your drink becomes but you can play around to find the right balance for you.

Yes mine has the lever to add more water, but as you say it makes a weaker drink. Dolce do a Grande coffee which is supposedly large. I’ve seen an empty reusable cartridge on Amazon that you can put ground coffee in, I’m thinking of buying one of them.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.