A guide to buying an EV charger.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Oscarmax 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #107571 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

A guide to EV chargers – Buyers guide.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #107575 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Cheers for that

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#107595 Reply

Carl

Great video brydo

I did pop down to the DS showroom in cardiff to acquire about the ds 3 crossback EV.  But the dealer had not sold this new model before to a mobility customer and was unsure if mobility put in the charging home unit? Or the dealer puts it in?? Or if this was an added cost for us???  Additionslly, she mentioned that the EV car could be available in 7-10 days but the home charger unit may not be available for several month or so.

#107596 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Carl most dealership’s put in the charger free of charge so I hope they come back with a big thumbs up.

#107598 Reply

Lee

Great Video.

We are looking at the moment at a full Electric or PHEV.

None of the dealers have said that they can provide us with a free charging point. All have said we would have to pay. (Vauxhall,Kia,Hyundai,Mitsubishi and MG)

Also one dealership said we would not get a charging point OLEV grant because we are getting the car through Motability and not purchasing it new, like normal customers.

Maybe there should be a thread on dealers that are giving free charging points to customers.

#107599 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Great Video. We are looking at the moment at a full Electric or PHEV. None of the dealers have said that they can provide us with a free charging point. All have said we would have to pay. (Vauxhall,Kia,Hyundai,Mitsubishi and MG) Also one dealership said we would not get a charging point OLEV grant because we are getting the car through Motability and not purchasing it new, like normal customers. Maybe there should be a thread on dealers that are giving free charging points to customers.

I have already completed the paperwork, the grant has been excepted EV charger to be fitted on the 20th March, you can order you charger once you have a signed vehicle order from the dealership.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#107600 Reply

Lee

Hi Oscarmax,

What car did you go for ?

Was the charger free ?

Did the dealer arrange the charge point ?

It some like its pot luck from dealer to dealer.

Lee

#107601 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Oscarmax how much did you have to pay?

#107604 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Lee Brydo I went for a Podpoint 32amp tethered EV Home charger  before any discount a 32amp tethered unit would have been £409 fitted, Podpoint arrange all the grant £500 application, I have gone for a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Mitsubishi actually make a contribution to both Chargemaster and Podpoint, I ended up paying £290 after discounts.

In my case dealership arranges nothing, I think is different if you buy an EV BMW car.

I went for the Podpoint as opposed to the Chargemaster after reading online reviews, Chargemaster did not fair well, I did however contact Chargemaster their standard fitting seemed to be very basic plus they wanted to charge extra for very basic thing, it was like they were doing me a favour. On the other hand Podpoint fitting was much more comprehensive and included everything, so I went with Podpoint, I made a couple of mistakes on my grant application, but they contacted me so we could correct the mistakes, absolutely first class service.

lee if you go onto Podpoint site you can input your choice of car and it will tell you the price you pay and the correct charging lead. Either way go for a 32 amp rather than a 16 amp it will save you upgrading in the future.

#107605 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@oscarmax, some great advice there for everyone. Thank you for posting.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#107613 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Have you seen the posting and AP prices for the new Ford Kuga PHEV, I would have definitely gone for the new Kuga PHEV but unfortunately it has a towing limit of 1200 kg, I need 1500kg

#107614 Reply

Carl

I did speak with a peugeot dealer to advise me that for the first 500 208 or 2008 EV cars they are giving free podpoint home charger units and 6 months subscription to pod point external network.   I had the impression they do all the paperwork side of things.

#107617 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I did speak with a peugeot dealer to advise me that for the first 500 208 or 2008 EV cars they are giving free podpoint home charger units and 6 months subscription to pod point external network. I had the impression they do all the paperwork side of things.

You are probably right, are you going for the Peugeot

#107639 Reply

Peter

@Carl

I have a DS3 Crossback E-Tense to collect on Monday.  I had to wait about a month for the wall charger to be fitted.  This cost me nothing, as a Motability customer.  DS has an offer on where customers ordering a car before the end of March get a free charger.  Actually, the small print within the terms and conditions says this offer excludes Motability customers but I had no issue whatsoever. I dealt with Christopher Andrews at DS Durham who has supplied fantastic service. Certainly the best I have ever received as a Motability customer and before!!  No discount though 🙁

The Installation – this is carried out by Pod Point, as DS appointed installers.  Took just over 3 hours and a lovely, neat and tidy job done too!

Potential issue – the installer removed the main fuse from the meter cupboard.  This fuse said 100A on the sticker yet the engineer said it was actually only 60A!  He recommended I contacted the power grid for my area as they would upgrade the fuse to 80A for free.  Anything over 80A is chargeable.  This isn’t proving totally straight forward but I’m sure I will get it sorted soon (fingers crossed)!

#107641 Reply

Peter

@Lee

“Also one dealership said we would not get a charging point OLEV grant because we are getting the car through Motability and not purchasing it new, like normal customers.”

This dealership is telling you complete rubbish!!  Really they need to be hauled over the coals for this.  In your shoes I would report them to Motability.

My Install detailed above would have cost £859 all in.  I filled in the OLEV paperwork sent by Pod Point as a Motability customer and this went straight through at the £500 standard grant.  This left £359 to pay, which came through from DS, leaving me £0 to pay.

#107669 Reply

Carl

Oscarmax, I really liked both the peugeot E2008 and Ds crossback electric.  From what I’ve read they both share the same power train so it comes down to design of the vehicles.

The E2008 is larger and would accommodate a family much better, the DS is very stylish but smaller so they both have their merits.  The peugeot dealers test electric vehicle  was already broken after a week of use…. which is quite off putting when making a consideration.

The Ds dealer still hasn’t got back to me regarding the pod point fitting?  She did contact mobility while I was in the showroom but they were unsure.   She was oung to referring to their HQ to query it.  Peugeot on the other hand stated it was included and additionally a 6 months subscription to the power point grid.

Clearly, there is no point in getting a EV in 10 days but the power point home charger in a 4-8 week window as the car would be stuck on the drive.

Pod point would need to be fitted prior to collecting the new car in my opinion.

#107670 Reply

Carl

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Peter, that’s re assuring that you have revieved the pod point free of charge from DS dealers… I will be contacting the one I visited to advise accordingly…..because she was really unaware.</p>
    Oscarmax….I to really fancy the Outlander phev, great decent sized SUV  and in my opinion the best of both worlds, shsmevthey are charging for pod point installation thou.  I am checking out the alternative Ev’s to see what’s available before making my final decision.

#107720 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Oscarmax, I really liked both the peugeot E2008 and Ds crossback electric. From what I’ve read they both share the same power train so it comes down to design of the vehicles. The E2008 is larger and would accommodate a family much better, the DS is very stylish but smaller so they both have their merits. The peugeot dealers test electric vehicle was already broken after a week of use…. which is quite off putting when making a consideration. The Ds dealer still hasn’t got back to me regarding the pod point fitting? She did contact mobility while I was in the showroom but they were unsure. She was oung to referring to their HQ to query it. Peugeot on the other hand stated it was included and additionally a 6 months subscription to the power point grid. Clearly, there is no point in getting a EV in 10 days but the power point home charger in a 4-8 week window as the car would be stuck on the drive. Pod point would need to be fitted prior to collecting the new car in my opinion.

Carl you can sign up and download the Podpoint app for free there is no contract, were I live there are several free charging points, plus there are some were you pay 12 pence per hour.

There is always the BP Chargemaster Polar Plus network, at present if you sign up the first 3 months is free, then £7.85 per month (Brydo is the best person to advise on this). There are thousand of charging point some are free, however, you have to vacate your charging point within  one and half hour otherwise you will be fined £10, I think it is designed to stop PHEV blocking up the network.

#107752 Reply

Carl

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Oscarmax – thanks for the information.  I did check out a few ev forums and there seems to be network little bit of  friction between Pure EV owners and PHEV owners regarding the charging network..  surely there will be sufficient charging points for everyone in due course.</p>

#107761 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Oscarmax – thanks for the information. I did check out a few ev forums and there seems to be network little bit of friction between Pure EV owners and PHEV owners regarding the charging network.. surely there will be sufficient charging points for everyone in due course.</p>

Using a fast charger an Outlander PHEV can be charger up to 80% in 25 minutes, but to be honest it is not worth it, on a 7kWh it takes about 3 hours, PHEV including the new ones VW PHEV, New Ford Kuga PHEV etc can only charge at 3.6kWh.

EV can charge up much quicker and are very reliant on a charge, were as the PHEV are not, I suppose it is down to etiquette. It not really fair for PHEV to block the network.

#107796 Reply

Carl

Oscarmax, that is a very valid point.  The beauty of the phev is not reliant on electric only.

I test drive the outlander phev and it is outstanding….

Decisions decisions!!

#107828 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Oscarmax, that is a very valid point. The beauty of the phev is not reliant on electric only. I test drive the outlander phev and it is outstanding…. Decisions decisions!!

We test drove the Outlander PHEV and like you we loved it, all he bull about whining transmission and engine revving away are completely unfounded. We found the transmission and ride ultra smooth and when the engine kicked in you struggle to hear it.

Our test drive: we test drove the dealers top of the range demonstrator so not quite the same as the Design. The dealer filled in the insurance and gave us some basic instructions. The Outlander has just under 3/4 of a charge, it was freezing cold, the heater, aircon, electric steering wheel and electric seats on high, we did not have much of a clue so we carried on.

The Outlander was showing 42mpg, we travelled along the A5 to Telford about 20 mile at approximately 50/55mph, we left the car setting alone as we did not have a clue. By the time we reached Telford the battery was almost depleted but we were recording about 120mpg.

On the way back the wife managed to turn off the heated seats, we returned going down the M54 travelling at the traffic speed, slowly the fuel consumption dropped by the time we came off the motorway we were recording about 67/68 mpg, travelling along the A road back to Cannock fuel figures started to get better, by the time we got back to the dealer we were recording 70mpg. If we new what we were doing these figures could have been improved.

When we got back to the showroom the dealer had the order forms on his desk and asked us how we got on with a smile? guess what we did next.

I have added a link of a long term family test of the 2.4 Outlander PHEV.

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-4wd-2019-review/

#107829 Reply

roly
    Participant

Yes, I pretty much concur with your experience Oscarmax, although the battery was empty at the start of my test drive so I didn’t see anything above 40mpg.

I couldn’t order one there and then, but I did go back a couple of weeks ago to place the order. Roll on May.

Just need to decide which charge point to get now. My dealer couldn’t offer any special deal with a particular supplier but said they normally recommend Rolec.

#107833 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Roly they recon about 35 ish mpg  on pure petrol  mode.

I have gone for the Podpoint 32amp tethered home charger Mitsubishi make small contribution, I paid £290 as opposed to £409, the 16 amp unit is a bit cheaper.

As I have a 100 amp supply we went for the 32amp unit to save us upgrading in the foreseeable future, if you only have a 60 amp supply you would be better off with the 16 amp unit, as you know the Outlander on board charger is only 3.6kWh

#107834 Reply

roly
    Participant

Yes I averaged 37mpg over the extended test drive which included an element of charging the battery.

#107853 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Yes I averaged 37mpg over the extended test drive which included an element of charging the battery.

because of the cold weather I am getting around 38 mpg from our ford Kuga diesel 150 bhp powershift, have you had the chance to read my link

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: A guide to buying an EV charger.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: