what to do?

• This topic has 70 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Rene.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #170398 Reply
    struth
    Participant

So as it seems i wont get permission to fit the charger on my drive by housing association, what should i do?

Granny charging, especially in winter isnt really sensible as a window or door has to be kept open and an 8hr charge gives very little.  The fast chargers areoud here are very few and often not working .

Do i cancel the bev or keep it and hope it will get better?

Im at a loss tbh and ready to just throw in towel

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170400 Reply
    Harb
    Participant

You could get the granny through your letterbox maybe? I know a few people get by doing this. Not ideal though.

I’m in a similar position and will be going hybrid instead, until the infrastructure is more realistic.

#170401 Reply
    joss

Hey struth. Have the HA confirmed this in writing? What reason have they given you for refusal ?

Have you spoke to Motability about this? What did they say?

I found this which may be useful https://www.speakev.com/threads/advice-re-installing-ev-charging-point-in-rented-property.10157/

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#170402 Reply
    Brydo

Struth the rules for home chargers are changing from 1st April next year. The Government are encouraging housing associations to install chargers and grants will be available to do so.

In the mean time can you get an external socket fitted? Charging each night via a granny charger will keep you charged to a decent amount unless you do a lot of mileage each day.

#170403 Reply
    Ianfca

Could you have an outdoor 13 amp socket fitted on an outside wall ? Should be ok for granny charging

#170404 Reply
    Mike11

I live on a retirement development 33 bungalows and chargers no problem man across road charges his bmw

#170406 Reply
    Brydo

One hour from a granny charger will give you 9-10 miles.

#170409 Reply
    struth
    Participant

not sure if cable will go through letter box but worth thinking about,. cheers

#170410 Reply
    struth
    Participant

not been off icially refused but told verbally they are not allowing anyione to touch the fusebox, not even to connect to. wont allow another one to be fitted either. (its their property) asked if they would do it… nope.

i will probably get to motability, but wanted some options.

#170411 Reply
    struth
    Participant

em no they wont allow that either… unsurprisingly lol.

#170412 Reply
    struth
    Participant

hyundai say an eyewatering 36 hrs for full charge on the big battery. no idea how it pans out on hrs per mile.

i could i guess take the car i have out for longer and revisit the new car later, although that may not be a good idea tbh.  in a 20 mile radius there seems to be 4 or maybe 5 chargers(50kw), of which often at least 2 are down.  so everyone and there dog is after the other 2 or 3.  there is only one local. no idea how often its used, but no doubt it will get busier

#170413 Reply
    struth
    Participant

tbh i wish i did live on a retirement dev too. Ive a full drive, a free wall on house where electriciry is just on other side. It should be an easy job. Fuse etc has been upgraded but this new shower who took over the properties of my old association are just tossers

#170414 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

At some point they are going to have to do it. You would think they would jump at the chance of getting it done for free.

#170415 Reply
    Marie

As someone mentioned from next year they aren’t allowed to refuse it.

#170416 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#170419 Reply
    Fordmax

I too, live in a housing  association property.

When I had my charger fitted I did not ask permission. I simply paid all the associated costs out of my own pocket. The people who come round to conduct the yearly gas/electricity safety check are not directly employed by the housing association, and could not care less. They have NEVER questioned why I have one, nor flagged its appearance to the H.A.

Stop worrying the small stuff. It’s NOT grounds to get you evicted. It’s merely them trying to say “if you incur any costs it’s nothing to do with us”.

15 years ago I painted my H.A house (again, without permission). They came out, took pictures, then left and I never heard from them again. My house was a filthy pebble-dash. Now it’s a warm cream and looks lovely. I pay for it to be redone, and make sure looks nice, and they bask in the glory of people admiring their housing stock.

Do you want to live your life, or spend it in fear of others?

I PROMISE you. You will not get evicted. But you will need deep pockets for electrical alterations, depending on the age of your house.

#170420 Reply
    Fordmax

P.s. I have now had my charger 18 months. They still don’t care, and a H.A. new build opposite me now also has one, which tells me the H.A are coming on board that these are the future.

#170423 Reply
    Laura

I live in private rented house no drive have to park on street as and where I can get a space. I can usually park outside but it’s a good 15 ft from where I park to door. So how does this work for people like myself

#170467 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Just have an outdoor waterproof socket fitted (about £60 inc fitting) and don’t mention it to HA, not something any inspector would even look twice at.

#170612 Reply
    struth
    Participant

decided to just go ahead and fight them for the charger. thanks for all the input

#170617 Reply
    joss

Good man @struth. Fight the good fight. Keep us updated please. Good luck.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#170618 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Good luck Struth.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#170621 Reply
    ajn

Got to be worth it, people can give advice however each person will have different issues resulting in different results..

Think positive to gain positivity..

Well done

#171778 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Well im currently here.. Got a charger veto overturned and have now had it fitted.  Ive also ordered a 2 way hoist for kona(hopefully will get done and fit) and supposedly to pick up car on monday.

If all goes to plan.

so starting to feel like it might all go right now

#171781 Reply
    brydo

Great news Struth, a bit dogged percerverance and you got there, well done.

Fingers crossed for next week and please let us know how you are funding it, good and bad.

#171811 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Well done we got ours fitted after a lot of shouting but once HA realise it increases value of property that helped do now we even gave private Parking well done

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
Reply To: what to do?
Your information: