what to do?

• This topic has 70 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Rene.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #170398 Reply
    struth
    Participant

So as it seems i wont get permission to fit the charger on my drive by housing association, what should i do?

Granny charging, especially in winter isnt really sensible as a window or door has to be kept open and an 8hr charge gives very little.  The fast chargers areoud here are very few and often not working .

Do i cancel the bev or keep it and hope it will get better?

Im at a loss tbh and ready to just throw in towel

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Viewing 20 replies - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #173702 Reply
    Simon

Hi Struth

Not sure if you have Octopus go tariff, its 5p from 12.30-4.30 am. I can give you a link for £50 each if you go to them.

I would recommend joining Speak EV forum cos they great I am on there. Was but huntingtons put me out of work.

so even cheaper than petrol. You say the unit slow charge is it a 7.4 kw, One thing i remeber best is I was never fully charging only topping up. And as I said grazing is the charging at shops restaurants. remember rapids expensive so grab enough to get home,

ABRP is a great app whjat battery size?

Let me know if you want the referral code for octopus.

I am using the forum as I will get the kona for my wife to drive and let the kids have the Zoe.

Sorry if this jumbled I loved ev driving wont go back. Not been to a petrol station 3.5 yrs

Simon

#173704 Reply
    Simon

forgot to add they defrost  with snow too!

#173705 Reply
    Simon

pooh, just read post again i meant i was driving but dr says no with huntingtons.

Also quite a lot of main dealers have chargers and you can use them if you ask.

#173739 Reply
    struth
    Participant

mine is set to 3.7 kw max currently, so too slow to take advantage of a 4/5 hr deal really. i still have a cable and a fuse to be uprated before i can safely up it to 7.4kw.

#173745 Reply
    Simon

Hi i see, the thing is you can start it at midnight and take advantage of the hours. Makes for very cheap motoring.

#173748 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Yes and I intend to look into it once fixed. But the charges out with are a bit higher so it might not be as cheap as I use a lot of Lecky.

But will let you know if I do

#173753 Reply
    Windy

It’s very hard to be sure of any electric prices but I use Octopus go faster which gives me 5 hours at 5.5p and I take that from 20.30 to 1.30 now that is quite a good time to do washing heating etc so can combine with car so when you get bill it’s averaged over total and last time came in at 9.2p per unit overall so makes a bit more sense when trying to compare I use about 300 units per week including car charge

#174527 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Fitted the cable protector so you can walk past car and get bucket etc without hopefully tripping.

#174538 Reply
    joss

Nice job there @struth

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#174540 Reply
    Brydo

Nice looking car there struth, although im not sure that “reg” is legal lol.

#174555 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Nice looking car there struth, although im not sure that “reg” is legal lol.

lol, yup, i have an app for removing letters. works well when i remember about it. Quite pleased overall with it; not sure about the seat. hard to say at moment as ive done my leg again so it may be contributing to the discomfort im getting at back of leg. 18 days since i did it on same knee i did before so its gonna be longish term. depressing.

#174687 Reply
    struth
    Participant

was out for a short run there. didnt have the climate on at all, as i pre heated it on mains for 10 mins before i left as it was plugged in.

i got over 5 miles to kwh,

that would, if you managed to keep it up give over 330 to the tankless tank.

#181104 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Mileage continues to improve, especially when not using motorways etc. A trip to hospital there ended up costing 3.85p per mile and thats from a electric charge cost of 21p a unit. Driving on such roads in this weather(which isnt overly warm at 7c) a charg should return about 350 miles of driving.

i continue to be impressed with the kona.

#181106 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Isn’t considered the most efficient EV for no reason. 😉

Looking good mind. Still confused as to why the association didn’t give permission for the charger, took us 2 days from sending ours a message to receiving the letter telling us that it’s all good in the hood, carry on.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#181108 Reply
    struth
    Participant

@Rene..

good question.. i don’t know tbh. they said they didn’t want anything added to the electric supply. Now they know that it has its own supply, they changed mind(or so they said). they wanted me to get all the info on the install etc , but now cant be bothered. they sent someone out on a standard check on all the electrics in house, something they do every 5 years or so. the guy checked a couple of sockets and looked at install; said, em yes i was on a course on these and left stage right lol.

As for the Kona, its very good value and thrifty i think. The build quality is solid, although its fairly cheap inside surface wise. (no soft surfaces really) but its got physical buttons for most things which is great.  although wired, android auto works really well, as does the bluelink, although it seems to go down a lot. might be the mast around here so cant really blame it for sure.

Alas im still charging at 3.6kw as the replacement of a cable hasn’t happened yet. Not sure if it will anytime soon either as they needed to speak to my neighbour who has now split up and house is empty. so that might stall it for who knows how long. 22% will take about 5hrs or so when going to 100%.. a bit less(4hrs) if i was say going to 90% say. it takes a while with last 10 %

#181110 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I wonder if it has something to do with what we experienced, the company that came out to install the charger fixed something with our leccy supply. When i asked what that was, he wasn’t able to properly convene what they did (try explaining colours to a blind guy) – but we settled on “they’ve cut corners that you really shouldn’t cut”. He fixed it free of charge.

As far as installations go, our association has been pretty lenient. From ceiling fan to charger, all just waved through basically.

And yeah, your summary about the Kona is spot on. Thrifty, in every way. Sadly that includes the interior, wasn’t impressed either but truth to be told, rather have a car that i can afford to run but has cheap plastics, than a car that’s amazing on the inside but i can’t afford to drive it.

The last 10% take a while because that’s where the charger balances the cells. Technically, if you want the most longevity out of your pack, you shouldn’t charge to 100% but stop at 80%-85%. That’s where the battery wants to be. After that, you’re putting strain on the pack.

Probably not that important if you only stick three years with it, but over five you might lose a significant amount of range (by significant i mean noticeable).

#181114 Reply
    struth
    Participant

I think they were very uptight re the box on wall being”THEIRS” and nobody can touch it, which is comedic when the electricity board men have better quals than their men etc. Interestingly they will have to replace “THEIR” box anyway as there is a fault on the rcd which i called them about lol. so all their crying for nowt really.

Yes i think i need to work out how to set it to 90% again, but i do like it at 100…. i suppose its a bit of anxiety.. I was always same with ice. i liked the tank full. thank God i dont have to by petrol now.

#181126 Reply
    Rene

Understandable in regards to range, we will most likely end up charging our PHEV to 100% too. If it ever arrives.

To be honest, sounds a bit arse but “after me the flood”. Condition doesnt really matter in our case, what do i care how much range the next guy has left in the pack. Not preserving anything for the next owner.

#181238 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

“Technically, if you want the most longevity out of your pack, you shouldn’t charge to 100% but stop at 80%-85%. That’s where the battery wants to be. After that, you’re putting strain on the pack.

So I was reading about the Kona and I’m not sure if other cars do this but, basically the Kona technically has a 67.5kwh battery but only makes use of 64kw to basically protect the battery pack. It equates to 94.8% of the available size but from what I’m reading should provide some extra longevity to the overall pack.

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

#181247 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

“Technically, if you want the most longevity out of your pack, you shouldn’t charge to 100% but stop at 80%-85%. That’s where the battery wants to be. After that, you’re putting strain on the pack.

So I was reading about the Kona and I’m not sure if other cars do this but, basically the Kona technically has a 67.5kwh battery but only makes use of 64kw to basically protect the battery pack. It equates to 94.8% of the available size but from what I’m reading should provide some extra longevity to the overall pack.

That’s indeed correct, all EVs reserve “x amount” of battery for protection.

Usually it’s on the bottom end though, so you don’t “overdischarge” the battery which irreparably damages it. Basically, you discharge from 100% to 5%, rather than 0%, leaving a little bit of buffer against draining the cells below 3.2V.

Viewing 20 replies - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
Reply To: what to do?
Your information: