Update on subwoofer/sound system quality

• Creator
    Topic
    Phaedra
    Participant

Spoke to Skoda UK who said talk to other dealers, waste of time basically.

Mine said nothing wrong.

Skoda Newcastle said talk to Skoda UK (who had already told me to talk to them)

Skoda Darlington said they could have a look but it’s £126 for non-warranty inspection, it’s only 3 weeks old!!

Think I’ll just have to accept I’ve wasted over £2000 on the Advanced pack and got a cr@p sound system. The HUD is nice, heated windscreen isn’t needed with car pre-heating and the heated rear seats will never be used.

Chap on Briskoda forum was more help, I sent him photos of the unit and where it is, he was surprised it produced any bass at all being enclosed in a polystyrene box and shoved under the floor in a small compartment, there’s very little air for it to move so very little bass.

Here’s the actual installation, under the boot floor!

And as guessed, made in China!

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

I thought they didn’t have another Enyak at the time, thus the reason they used 2 Superbs!!

The garage will say what Skoda wants to hear but, at the end of the day its one of 2 things (1) Faulty (2) Not fit for purpose.

Given you made contact and complained within the first 30 days of ownership, it is up to Skoda to decide which one of the 2 it is and put it right in one way or t’other.

There is/are video’s on YouTube showing water vibrating in a glass and the glass moving. Download one of these so you have it offline. Make a note when you took it into the dealers, you had the car off and what you were told at the time.  Also note when you took it to the second dealer and what they said. Keep a record of your first complaint showing the date it was sent and a copy of your second complaint, after getting no reply from the first.

If Skoda doesn’t deal with your complaint satisfactory, all this information will be very usefull if you need to go to the Motor Ombudsman.

I’d also start recording any further telephone converstions on  your mobile or even better push for email correspondance from now on.

Phaedra
        Participant

Never got to a second dealer, they wanted £106 for a “non-warranty” inspection!!

I have the dates and emails for the original return to the supplying dealer etc.

We’ll see how it goes from here.  I can always live with it for the next 3 years if I have to.  The Ateca wasn’t bad, I had thought of adding an under-seat sub to that but didn’t bother.  I think I’m just rather P’d off that a £600-£800 upgrade makes so little difference to the sound quality.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
          Participant

As I said its for them to sort it and as long as you have copies there is little in the way of involvement sendining it off to the ombudsman should it get to that stage, which I doubt 🙂

MissingSound7
            Participant

@Phaedra – Don’t forget you’ve spent £2000 plus on something that doesn’t work like it should. Skoda want you to think: “I can live with it for 3 years I guess”. Point is that your money is now sitting in their pocket, for no end result. May be dramatic but it’s a kind of theft. You suffer, not them.

I’d keep pushing; do what @kezo says about the videos with vibrating water on speaker.

Gutted for you as this was something you were looking forward to utilising. I’d push back and raise a stink, hopefully leading to change.

Ele
              Participant

Didnt think the Harden karmen was much cop on my E TAC until a month later found out the sub is switched off by default lol

Although its wasted on me as only turn the thing on a couple times a month

Phaedra
                Participant

@kezo

Had a call from Skoda UK, said dealer had told them I’d been told it had been inspected, parts swapped etc. and not faulty!.

I explained that wasn’t what happened at all, she agreed to escalate the complaint, asked for 2mins to update the system then said couldn’t do it as I wasn’t the registered keeper or driver!.

Explained about it being Motability and that I’d personally paid for the upgrade pack.  She said ring the dealer and ask them to put me on the Skoda system as the driver and get back to them after that.

I rang the dealer and unsurprisingly Motability salesman nowhere to be found so left a message.  Call me psychic but I have a feeling this is going to be a PITA 😠🤬

kezo
                  Participant

Whos’s the driver then Mary Poppins!

Motability says…

“Although we own the vehicles leased through the Motability Scheme, we are not the ‘registered keeper’. The registered keeper is the person whose name is registered with the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency in Section 5 of the vehicle’s log book or V5C.”

https://news.motability.co.uk/scheme-news/manufacturer-recalls/#:~:text=Although%20we%20own%20the%20vehicles%20leased%20through%20the,5%20of%20the%20vehicle%E2%80%99s%20log%20book%20or%20V5C.

So all what you have been told is a bit odd mate!

Do remember it is either faulty or not fit for purpose – If they say its not faulty your comeback is its not “fit for purpose” then!

I would ring Skoda UK back and state even though its a Motability vehicle, I am the registered keep and registered driver as far as the DVLA are concerned.

MissingSound7
                    Participant

@Phaedra – It’s already a “PITA” as you’re out thousands of pounds. Good on you for making the effort but keep pushing.

As @kezo says, go back to Skoda UK now. Doesn’t matter about the Motability dealer as they don’t want to resolve the issue do they?

Phaedra
                      Participant

I’ve emailed Skoda UK again explaining I’m the registered keeper as recorded by the DVLA

Also made it clear the upgrade was part of a pack personally paid for by me directly to the dealer.

We shall see 🙁

kezo
                        Participant

As Motability would say , the “contract” for any options is between you and the dealer/manufacturer, as such any complaints is between you and the dealer/manufacturer.

Meaning you are cover not only by consumer rights act 2015 but, also the motor Ombudsman.

Keep up the good work and don’t let them fob you off!

Phaedra
                          Participant

@kezo

Small update, I’ve tried using an SD card reader in palce of the the USB stick.

Found out the USB C sockets are not wired correctly.  The drivers side only charges in one orientation of the plug.  I’ll have to check the passenger side socket but I think it may be the same but also with no power when the car is shut down.  Looking online the same problems were in the last verion of the Kodiak (with the 2 C ports) as well.

One other thing, with the card reader connected and working, turning off the car and re-starting it loses the reader and can’t see it.  You have to turn the car off and remove the reader.  Then power up and re-insert it again.  Looks like Skoda haven’t followed the USB C specifications.

kezo
                            Participant

I wonder if a cheap usb tester may prove usefull?

Phaedra
                              Participant

I had thought of that but I think I’m at the point of just being fed up with it all!.

I have more important things to sort out at the moment with a funeral and taxi duty all day tomorrow then going on holiday with my daughter early thurs morning.

Also have to take my Autistic son shopping after the funeral to get stuff in for him cat/house sitting while we’re away.  Then drop him back at home and bring his gaming PC here so he can use it, and no doubt a couple of carrier bags full of his washing to do!.

kezo
                                Participant

I take you put the USB issues in your complaint to Skoda.

For now just get funeral out of the way and go and enjoy your holiday 🙂

Participant

I agree with Kezo, a USB tester can be got from Ebay for between £5 & £10 with free delivery. I have one and they are useful!

It will be interesting to see if they are faulty or wired incorrectly! Further back in this thread I mentioned the subwoofer plug being wired incorrectly too, I read in on one of the Skoda Forums. I think it affected the Kodiaq & Superb Canton subwoofer. They found the solution was to flip the connector plug 180 degrees so the wiring was the opposite way around. The plug on the loom had either been wired wrong or the suwoofer wired wrong. Either way, it solved the problem!

Could be there is a communication issue in the electronics department at VAG?

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June)

Southamman
                                    Participant

So, I picked up my Sportline on Monday, compkete with Canton soubd system.

I have to say, personally, the soubd and bass is more than adequate, very rich sound and if played at  full volume, would vibrate people outside the xar!

I don’t find anything wrong with mibe

Phaedra
                                      Participant

With the Bass set to +9 and volume fairly loud (60-75%) is there much of a diffence in bass with the subwoofer increased from -9 to +9?  There’s very little difference on my system, it’s noticable but only just, the front speakers almost completely drown out the sub.

kezo
                                        Participant

A scientific experiment if @Southman is game.

A clear glass in front centre of boot, filled quarter full with water and a photo taken of the water bouncing and the settings noted or those specified by @Phaedra and each put a photo up to compare 🙂

Participant

That would be a good test! As the Canton advertisement video shows that happening, it would be a good comparison! 👍

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June)

Phaedra
                                            Participant

I’ll see what we can arrange when I’m back in the UK at the end of next week, as a rough guide,

Standard 1 pint glass filled with say 400ml (mixed measurements!)

Placed dead centre of boot floor, hatch open.

Test track, Giorgio Moroder – Utopia, Me Giorgio or from Here to Eternity, can be downloaded from YouTube

Settings, full bass, subwoofer at -9 then +9

Volume at 75% where the line turns into dots on the screen.

I’ll do 2 videos, one at -9 one at +9

Will have to get my son to sit in the car as the system doesn’t run if you lift your bum off the seat!.

Would also be interesting to see if the other Enyaq has the same problem with a USB stick, ie plays the same track every time you get in, not what was playing when you got out.

In other news, finally got a reply from the dealer, they sent me the Skoda documentation which of course clearly shows me as the registered driver, so much for Skoda UK saying it doesn’t.

Participant

kezo
                                                Participant

Are you back home?

Phaedra
                                                  Participant

Not until next Thursday afternoon.

kezo
                                                    Participant

Not until next Thursday afternoon.

Enjoy 🙂

Phaedra
                                                      Participant

I left a bad review on TripAdvisor first day we were here!

Lunch was extremely poor to say the least!. About 3 hours later I got a call from the hotels “Experience Ambassador”, could she come and have a chat with us.

She was very apologetic to say the least! She agreed lunch was not up to their usual standards and I wasn’t the only one who had mentioned it!.

There were also a few issues with the suite and she had someone come later to fix them so top marks for effort. I said I’d take down the review and see how things went for the rest of the week.

Food is getting better, breakfast and dinner are pretty good but lunch again today not so much. We’ve decided to just do lunch if we’re out and about somewhere instead of having it here.

I think we’re off out to Alcudia old town tomorrow and I’ve been recommended a Chinese restaurant there. Monday or Tuesday my daughter wants to walk/hike in the natural reserve a few miles down the coast, I shall do the decent thing and stay here 😂

One thing I really miss is my wet room! No grab bars in the shower here, very worried tonight as it doesn’t drain very quickly so lots of soapy water on the floor 😕

Not to worry, home next Thursday for 2 weeks then back to this hotel again, this time with the ex wife!!. I’m actually back to Majorca again at the end of April as well!, I’m taking my best friend and his wife.  He has idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, so not a great prognosis 😕 As I recently got the car accident payout I thought why not do something nice for them while I can.  Last time we went on holiday together was about 1986 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.