Update on subwoofer/sound system quality

• Creator
    Topic
    Phaedra
    Participant

Spoke to Skoda UK who said talk to other dealers, waste of time basically.

Mine said nothing wrong.

Skoda Newcastle said talk to Skoda UK (who had already told me to talk to them)

Skoda Darlington said they could have a look but it’s £126 for non-warranty inspection, it’s only 3 weeks old!!

Think I’ll just have to accept I’ve wasted over £2000 on the Advanced pack and got a cr@p sound system. The HUD is nice, heated windscreen isn’t needed with car pre-heating and the heated rear seats will never be used.

Chap on Briskoda forum was more help, I sent him photos of the unit and where it is, he was surprised it produced any bass at all being enclosed in a polystyrene box and shoved under the floor in a small compartment, there’s very little air for it to move so very little bass.

Here’s the actual installation, under the boot floor!

And as guessed, made in China!

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      vinalspin
      Participant

@Phaedra

It’s nice to see true friends still exist in this age of social media morons!

Top banana 👍

Participant

not keen of sub woofer bass, and especially in cars. that said, in that sealed plastic container its not surprising that you dont get any; in fact it might sound louder outside the car

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
          Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Participant

The same Subwoofer is used in the Audi Q4 E-tron as part of the Sonos hifi system & VW ID4 as part of the Harman Karden system. There’s not any complaints there, only praise for the subwoofer!

Subwoofer2

Subwoofer1

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar photoSolymar.
            • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar photoSolymar.

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June)

Phaedra
            Participant

Had another call from Skoda UK.

Basically reiterated that the dealer said they fully tested it and there was nothing wrong .

I explained again that they could not have swapped parts to test it as they didn’t have another Enyaq with the Canton system, all they did was compare it to 2 Superbs.

She asked how I wanted to proceed so I said at least a partial refund of the £2035 as the system was not what was described or advertised, compared to previous systems it was very poor.

She’s emailing the dealer and they have to respond within 24hours. She’s then going to ring me again on Friday.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
              Participant

Had another call from Skoda UK. Basically reiterated that the dealer said they fully tested it and there was nothing wrong . I explained again that they could not have swapped parts to test it as they didn’t have another Enyaq with the Canton system, all they did was compare it to 2 Superbs. She asked how I wanted to proceed so I said at least a partial refund of the £2035 as the system was not what was described or advertised, compared to previous systems it was very poor. She’s emailing the dealer and they have to respond within 24hours. She’s then going to ring me again on Friday.

They will keep trying it on to wear you down but keep at it.

I forget whats in the advance pack (crystal, Canton heated, screen?), The Canton would be the single most expensive of the pack. so in realistic terms your looking for at least £950 back if not more.

If the dealer offers you silly money, which I guess they will try just refuse and name a realistic price you will accept or you will be taking matters further and will inform Skoda UK of your next move.

Participant

Oh! my Enyak will have the sub when it gets delivered. Following this with interest. Surely all Skoda need to do is order a new sub and plug it in? It seems unfair for them to be comparing its effectiveness with other models- they need a like for like comparison.

I think Skoda offering money for your inconvenience could well be their kick to order a replacement sub and try it first. At least then if the quality is the same then its the sound system quality in general- that wouldn’t be something you could do a lot about I think though but it at least gives peace of mind that you’re not driving around with broken parts fitted.

looking forward to you getting this resolved as soon as possible.

2024 Skoda Enyaq estate- 85x Sportline plus in Race Blue . Transport Pack, Supernova 21 inch wheels, Maxx Pack, Transport Pack, Heat Pump and Pano Sunroof.
                  Ordered 31/10/23, Delivery 27/3/23

Phaedra
                  Participant

There’s a lot of discussion on the various Skoda,VW and Audi forums about the quality with some saying it’s great, some not much of an improvement over the standard system and others saying it’s really poor.
                    As an audio engineer in a past life, I worked for NEAL Ferrograph, I know what a decent system should sound like.  I’ve had upgraded systems in previous cars and this is not one of the better ones.

Fitting a subwoofer inside a plastic box, then burying it in a close fitting metal well with nowhere for the sound to escape and covering it with a thick sound deadening polystyrene box and a boot mat is a really bad design.

Putting it in one of the side recess’s in the boot or under a seat would give it a much better chance of being heard.  Even on +9 the front door speakers almost completely drown it out.

Tam
                    Spectator

There’s a lot of discussion on the various Skoda,VW and Audi forums about the quality with some saying it’s great, some not much of an improvement over the standard system and others saying it’s really poor. As an audio engineer in a past life, I worked for NEAL Ferrograph, I know what a decent system should sound like. I’ve had upgraded systems in previous cars and this is not one of the better ones. Fitting a subwoofer inside a plastic box, then burying it in a close fitting metal well with nowhere for the sound to escape and covering it with a thick sound deadening polystyrene box and a boot mat is a really bad design. Putting it in one of the side recess’s in the boot or under a seat would give it a much better chance of being heard. Even on +9 the front door speakers almost completely drown it out.

Are you any further on the refund/compensation?

it does seem silly to bury the sub away with sound deadening materials around the enclosure.

Adrian
                      Participant

If you remove it from its cosy prison is it markedly improved? Can you remove it/the lid?

Is it possible the thing is wired upside down? I doubt they’d be silly enough to give the fitter the option but that says nothing for the loom manufacturer who last I heard was coming under mortar attack in Ukraine

Source: I have an unusual birth mark

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                        Phaedra
                        Participant

I ran it with the polystyrene box and boot floor removed and there’s very little difference. I need to remove it fully and see how much difference that makes, the plastic box will be of very little help to low bass frequencies. I need a second person to help as once your bum comes off the seat it turns the car off.

My son is house sitting so I may have another go when I get home.  I think realistically I’m going to have to add a sub of my own either in the boot or under a seat, probably not permitted by Motability though!

Participant

could be a wire disconnected?

Phaedra
                            Participant

Apparently they swapped it out to test it (big fat lie) there is sound coming from it just not much!

If I could find someone local I could swap it myself, 5 to 10mins to get it out, lift floor, remove plastic boot trim piece,  remove poly box and then 2 screws!

Adrian
                              Participant

probably not permitted by Motability though!

I won’t tell if you don’t. I theoretically may have done something similar in the past and will deny it if asked 🤭 good luck

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                                NanasRob71
                                Participant

I’ve mentioned this before, but I really think you should take this to a local car hifi shop and ask them to test it.

It won’t cost much, and you’d get some idea!

MickC
                                  Participant

I ran it with the polystyrene box and boot floor removed and there’s very little difference. I need to remove it fully and see how much difference that makes, the plastic box will be of very little help to low bass frequencies. I need a second person to help as once your bum comes off the seat it turns the car off. My son is house sitting so I may have another go when I get home. I think realistically I’m going to have to add a sub of my own either in the boot or under a seat, probably not permitted by Motability though!

How would you wire it into the current factory system ?

Phaedra
                                    Participant

I’d have it fitted by a local firm, apart from Halfords!!! 🙂

Participant

I agree- running a new sub woofer in the car would mean a dedicated power line from the battery and in line fuse- I remember having one when I was younger (boy racer days!) plus hard wire connection to the stereo system. Given that I read hardwiring a dash cam is prohibited, I think you would be in breach of your contract with Motability unless you get their agreement but I struggle to see them agreeing to it. Ive read that you cant even ceramic coat a motability car and they don’t appear to move on their ruling.

2024 Skoda Enyaq estate- 85x Sportline plus in Race Blue . Transport Pack, Supernova 21 inch wheels, Maxx Pack, Transport Pack, Heat Pump and Pano Sunroof.

Participant

sorry,

I ran it with the polystyrene box and boot floor removed and there’s very little difference. I need to remove it fully and see how much difference that makes, the plastic box will be of very little help to low bass frequencies. I need a second person to help as once your bum comes off the seat it turns the car off. My son is house sitting so I may have another go when I get home. I think realistically I’m going to have to add a sub of my own either in the boot or under a seat, probably not permitted by Motability though!

sorry- I meant to quote this message- newcomer woes- still learning!

kezo
                                          Participant

I agree- running a new sub woofer in the car would mean a dedicated power line from the battery and in line fuse- I remember having one when I was younger (boy racer days!) plus hard wire connection to the stereo system. Given that I read hardwiring a dash cam is prohibited, I think you would be in breach of your contract with Motability unless you get their agreement but I struggle to see them agreeing to it. Ive read that you cant even ceramic coat a motability car and they don’t appear to move on their ruling.

I don’t understand why you would need a dedicated 12v powerline to run a new sub. especially when the car is equiped with a dedicated Amp, which has all the wiring you will need.

Checking the wiring is relaively simple, with a little knwledge of Ohms law.

Adrian
                                            Participant

Source: yeah I’ve done some Buddhism 😬🤭

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                                              kezo
                                              Participant

In all ŠKODA cars, the amplifier processes the audio signal, converting it from digital to analogue and then amplifying it. (skoda story board 22/6/22)

(If you can call it 16ch that is) PCB from top of Amp….

Only 11 channels are used on the Enyak and likely the full 16 channels on the Superb. There is consensus that there are 7 chips on the board, of which from looking at least some of them appear to be generic SSOp36 chips, which are often seen in class D Amps.

There is talk on the internet 2 of these are TDF8599CTH and 3 are 75610DAA however, I can’t say for sure.

The issue appears across all models of the Skoda range fitted with the optional Canton sound. The overall consenus is there is no actual fault with the system other than the sub polarity is wired incorrectly with either + – crossed or the wiring is revered at the factory

1 2 3 4

| | | |

4 3 2 1

However at this stage whils’t @Phaedra is still actively in discussion with Skoda UK, it is not worth tampering with the plugs or wiring. Once Phaedra knows where he stands we can look into getting the same plugs and making a short wiring harness to connect in between, so not interfering with manufactures wiring but reversing connections where required. My neighbour 4 doors down has the same issue on the 80x so will be testing this out when the weather warms up a bit.

Participant

wiring the sub out of phase will cancel most of the bass

Participant

Like I’ve said previously, on the Kodiak & Superb forums they have solved the problem by flipping the plug 180deg. Now whether that’s actually physically possible I don’t know but that solved the issue. They may have swopped the wiring over as Kezo states. The loom wires look to be all white sheathed so I would imaging it would be an easy mistake to make in manufacturing, hence the connector plug to the subwoofer being the wrong way around! Time & testing will give the answer!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar photoSolymar.

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June)

Participant

Maybe it’s worth engaging  another dealer is the OP has lost co dude ce in the current dealer as warranty will be applicable at any dealership? A second opinion from another dealer could be helpful.

i wouldn’t be making any electrical alterations unless ŠKODA and Motability agree because it may risk the warranty and contract with Motability- I hear they can be very strict on this type of stuff and they wouldn’t want to be making payments to ŠKODA for any repairs that would have been covered under warranty which was subsequently voided by making unauthorised alterations. It’s not worth it in my opinion.

Participant

I’m not sure what the wire colour coding represents but it shouldn’t be too difficult for a person with the correct knowledge & experience to drop a multimeter on it to determine the correct polarity.

Subwoofer plug

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.