Torn between two… well options (and you're probably old if you get that )

This topic contains 56 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Kev 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #90722 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Think I have nailed my next car down to one of two.  Either the Tiguan R-Design or the Skoda Superb Estate. Equivalent power and economy, not too far apart anyway, the Superb is the car I really wanted when I let the wife talk me into the XC60 I have now but the Tiguan has all the toys I kinda fancy, most importantly the 360 camera which I loved to bits when I rented a Nissan Rogue (Qashqai equivalent) in the USA last year, not available on any Superb anywhere – not a deal-breaker but a big negative in my head.

As far as I can see there are no mega deals on Skoda anywhere (I don’t see me driving hundreds of miles for a £50 m&s voucher) and the discounts being offered by JCT600 on the Tiguan make them roughly the same AP too – just a case of if they can get one for me in time to qualify for the offer – already been told that Skoda can get me a car very quickly as there are cars in UK stock, and I do kinda miss having a regular “car” as opposed to the SUV.

I was pretty much decided on the Tiguan Allspace but with the extras I need (ok I admit, want), I’m looking at 6+ months for delivery and I want out of the XC60 sooner rather than later.  I don’t have the AP to hand but I have no doubt I can find up to £2k pretty quickly if needed so not too worried about that side of things.

Any thoughts? Reasons to go one way or the other? Warnings (other than the 1.5 TSI stuff which already has me concerned even after the VW group claim to have fixed it).

Feel free to blow my precarious two-option situation with another option I haven’t noticed, but not the Seat Leon – I just don’t like them).  £2k is about all I’m willing to spend, I can go more but there’d need to be a VERY good reason)

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90875 Reply
    Philjb

Mike it’s a panoramic glass roof it opens I’d say half the length ot the roof so a fairly large area, it also tilts if you just want added ventilation and on really hot days there is an electric blind that completely covers the roof glass, or you can stop it in any position to let more day light in.

#90876 Reply
    Mike

Sounds fantastic phil

#90879 Reply
    Philjb

Some people don’t like sunroofs as they say they reduce head room (not noticeable in the Tiguan unless your 7ft or taller and make the interior too hot in summer ( The blind makes sure it doesnt).

For me personally I prefer to use it on those slightly grey autumn or winter days, as the extra day light lifts the feel of the cabin and my mood.

I wouldn’t say I’d have to have one, but given the choice I would tick the box.

#90960 Reply
    Mike

Phil was the sunroof standard or extra cost ?

#90963 Reply
    Philjb

Standard mick.

#90977 Reply
    Mike

That’s great cheers Phil

#90978 Reply
    Mike

Will try to sit in one in showroom this afternoon

#90986 Reply
    Winston

The panoramic roof is a great feature, I’ve never had one before and doubt I would pay the money if it didn’t come standard. But now I have it I love it, I was pretty amazed than you can still drive 50/60 with it fully open without it bothering you

great feature 👌🏻

#91041 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

My other half has a very specific question for anyone who already has a Tiguan (ideally the exact model but I think in this case, it won’t matter too much).

On our XC60, when my son opens his window (passenger rear) we have to open one of the front windows too or there’s a horrific booming noise and air pressure pulses through the car. Does anything similar happen with the Tiguan if just the rear window is open?

I saw on a youtube video that the sunroof stops opening a couple inches short automatically and if you press the button again it slides back another few inches but then it gets noisy so I’m hoping this is an indication that VW have already tested and made appropriate adjustments to the systems to allow for different window open options…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Avatar Colin.
    #91106 Reply
    Macca

Can’t answer your question Colin, but I think I’ve that buffeting in every car i’ve ever driven, drives me crackers to the point where the windows have to go back up.

#91107 Reply
    Winston

I’ll give it try later on if I pop out in the car

#91109 Reply
    Winston

But you could buy wind deflectors , lots of good ones on the market

#91110 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Buffeting! That’s the bloody word – would NOT pop into my head, hence the booming air pressure pulses description!

#91111 Reply
    Mike

Surely it’s ok up to about 40 mph nice country roads I’d never have it open on the motorway be too much traffic noise ?

#91112 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

On the Volvo it’s around the doors as well, Patrick tends to like his window open on the drive back from school and those are all 30’s and 20’s and I don’t have THAT heavy a foot 😀

Having said that, I’m going to pop down to a second local dealer this morning so I can test it out to be sure.  Mill in sunderland annoyed me yesterday. They have a Tiguan in the showroom covered in Motability stickers and offers, and right in the centre of the bonnet is a big “Never beaten on price. Price promise” sticker – when I asked if they’d match the JCT600 offer I got the standard lie about “Motability sets all the prices, we can’t do anything”.  Yes Motability may well set the prices but as there are dealers all over the place doing deals on all makes and models, saying you can’t is the lie – if he’d said they wouldn’t, I wouldn’t have been as annoyed because at least that’d be the truth.  I told him they should remove that sticker if it doesn’t apply to motability, especially as it’s on a car heavily stickered up FOR motability…  He didn’t seem to like that comment but at that point, I was past caring as he’d already lost my business anyway.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Avatar Colin.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Avatar Colin.
    #91117 Reply
    Mike

Yes Colin please keep us informed on the sunroof boom I didn’t know this

#91119 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Just to clarify, the video I saw on Youtube (so I freely admit, not the most reliable or reputable of sources) mentioned than the R-Line sunroof only booms IF you open it fully. It naturally stops opening just a couple of inches short of fully open. At that point it’s fine, it’s only if you override the “normal” stop point and make it open those extra couple of inches that the noise becomes an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lInKMH1zZBQ – skip to about 16 mins for the details, and DEFINITELY skip the first minute or two of stills and annoying music 😛

My question above is related to the rear windows, not the sunroof as my young son likes his window open but on the  Volvo XC60 we have right now, that causes a buffeting/booming unless you also open one of the front windows.

#91121 Reply
    Mike

I would never override it

#91124 Reply
    Macca

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I would never use it 😎 .. light sensitive eyes, haha</p>

#91129 Reply
    Philjb

It’s never been a problem on ours. On motorway or long cruises we just use the tilt function, at normal speed the panoramic sunroof causes minimal noise, certainly less then in a convertible car.

In other cars if my kids need the rear window open then opening one of the front windows or even tilting the sun roof reduces that buffeting.
    I had the problem for years as my youngest daughter would be car sick without fresh air in her face, even in winter. 🥶

#91188 Reply
    Winston

I’ve never had an issue with the pano roof fully open at speed, believe me I’ve tested it out lol. But my and my friend were really surprised/impressed how little disturbance there is , same goes for the windows

the only reason I’ve closed the roof ( when the weather actually permitted me opening it  ) was my fear of a bird doing a shit on it or a wasp flying in 😭😭 , but it’s a great bonus to have , even if you park up somewhere , take in the vista and let loads of light and fresh air in 👌🏻

in my previous 2 cars both Audi Q3, if you went more then 20mph and opened a window I would liken it to Chinese Water Torture ( never had that obv. ) but it was horrendous , felt like your ear drums were getting sucked out

it’s very much different in the Tiguan, so fear not you’ll be able to have the windows open get a taxi driver tan and let that wind blow through your hai….. beard 😉😂😂

#91715 Reply
    Colin

I miss my xc60. It was a d5 lux nav. Quick and well spec’d.

Am I correct in thinking you can order a Tiguan r line plus 4motion for £1699? I don’t really want another diesel, but for that price I’ll order one tomorrow.

Really wish the 2.0 tsi was on the list. So frustrating. I know if I order a diesel the petrol will be on the next list

#91716 Reply
    Macca

Can’t see a 4 motion R Line listed on the scheme even in manual form at the minute.

The auto 2wd R Line is £2199 for the 2.0 Tdi, and JCT600 are currently offering £500 off that AP

#91719 Reply
    Philjb

I believe the only Tiguan 4×4 on the scheme now is  the SEL 190 tdi  7 speed Dsg

All R lines are front wd only

Unless the 4motion Ael has been removed. Still comes loaded and with pano sunroof as standard.

I got my discount at Reading Vw.

#91724 Reply
    Colin

That’s is a shame. I need awd as we get bad snow most winters.

The 20” rims and suspension are my fav things about the R-Line and the sel won’t have them.

volvo XC40 is a good alternative for me. But 20’’ wheels are a expensive option.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
Reply To: Torn between two… well options (and you're probably old if you get that )

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: