The £30,000 cap

This topic contains 32 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Philjb 6 days, 21 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #87111 Reply
    SaintsMan

Why don’t Motability raise the cap every year? It could be done using the same figure used by the railways to raise their prices.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #87118 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I’m sure there is an answer (perhaps?) but it’s a very good point.

I would have thought an increase based on GDP would be standard procedure.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it🏎

#87123 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Increase based on GDP lol oh no we would be back to the pale blue mobility 3 wheeler !

RPI or CPI maybe

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#87128 Reply
    Philjb

A £30k car isn’t high end these days or even close, it may have been decades ago.

#87130 Reply
    SaintsMan

Mike

It’s not that I expect a high standard of car, it’s that if the cap stays at £30,000 a lot of cheaper cars will hit that cap in a few years time due to manufacturers price increases, mid life facelifts etc.

Paul

As a disabled veteran who served in the Falklands, Gulf x2 and Bosnian wars, I can tell you that our freedom had nothing to do with it 3 of those conflicts were about money. The cap was brought about by Tory Daily Mail readers not the Labour Party.

#87133 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

in fairness dont forget effectively motability negotiate a considerable discount with manufacturers so that cars are affordable on the scheme as our  allowances dont go up that quickly either when you compare it with the ever increasing price of cars. and the lease is mostly cheaper than an equivelant lease elsewhere.

now i am all for us having the widest choice possible but if it was unlimited can you imagine the backlash when they realise how much less a jag or land rover on the scheme costs compared to what joe public would pay if motability got the sort of discount they get on other models. at the end of the day the scheme is there to help us get a suitable vehicle to keep us mobile not a discount scheme for a posh car.

now thats not to say that there ought to be some sort of indexing increasing the cap etc as the price of any car only ever goes up rather than down so having a fixed cap only reduces the vehicles available. also the hp cap really needs looking at even if it means some sort of additional insurance payment if needed. now i am 60 its not going to be that expensive for a high hp car for me given my clean record and low mileage. the insurance does seem not to take into account individual records.

what the answer is i dont know as i can see both sides, anyone should be able to have any car they can afford but any government scheme even backed/run by a charity will have limits imposed on it.

now ive read and reread this as i am not trying to have a go at anyone just trying to be reasonable and pragmatic and i am still not sure ive expressed it very well so i apologise in advance if anyone is offended.

#87142 Reply
    martino

You use to be able to have almost any car , sorry most cars on motability i remember jaguar, land rover , ect  it always changes i think it more how much discount the manufactures will give motability , if its not a big enough discount for motability then they don’t want it on motability ,

motability customers want a higher price cap or in fact no price cap at all just to get a more suitably vehicle , like wider doors or more space inside, higher seating , not just to get a prestige fancy car ,

lots of people still think motability customers , disabled people just get fancy prestige cars for free and forget why we need the cars .

I think the price cap started because people complained because they where envious of their  friends and neighbors driving about in a new motability car and they work hard and can only afford a banger or cant afford a car at all.

If i didn’t have access to motability i couldn’t afford a new car, thank goodness i have a disabled and am in pain constantly , so I can get a car ,

If people could mind they er own business , be content with what they have and what they can afford with there means, but that is never going to happen .

Motability don’t supple the cars and service for free like all bushiness and charities they do it to make money …..

Just another rant from me

thanks martin

#87156 Reply
    Philjb

Yes there has to be a cap, but it should be a realistic one that moves with the times. I’m not complaining as I managed to get a car on the current scheme that suits my needs, but if the cap stays as it is while prices rise it may be a problem next change.

I’ve witnessed it first hand the daily Mail effect From my outlaws.

As soon as they heard from my wife I’d ordered a car from motability the sly comments started. Both are daily mail readers both in there late 70’s early 80’s.

My mother in law said ooh very nice for some. I wish we could have a free car.

Father in law kept saying what brand new? and that’s where all our taxes are going and but you always look so well.

Till I pointed out I’ve paid more tax then both of them put together over the last 45 years of my working life and he was a policeman for only 15 years before taking medical retirement for flat feet? She was a part time teacher.

So they’ve both been on an index linked police pension for over 40 years.  I wonder who pays that? lol

I’ve had 6 spinal operations, two major operations on my legs, my chin is fused to my chest and my spine has a 95 degree forward curve with multiple fractures, I’ve been using a motorised chair for 15 years, before that I used crutches, plus I have long term heart and lung disease. Which has nearly killed me on  three occasions.

But I look well. 🤣🤣🤣

You’ve got to love that daily mail.

#87159 Reply
    Michael Seignot

A banker, a Daily Mail reader, and a Motability customer are sitting at a table sharing 12 biscuits.

The banker takes 11 and says to the Daily Mail reader: “Watch out for him, he wants to steal your biscuit”.

#87161 Reply
    martino

Michael Seignot lol i like that

#87165 Reply
    martino

Philjb where to begin i can relate to everything you say     ”I wish we could have a free car”.  ”sly comments started”  . ”what brand new”

one of my favorites Iv never had a brand new car , I use to try and explain,  know i dont.

If the government  didn’t think we needed the DLA or PIP or WAR PENSIONERS ALLOWANCE  they wouldn’t offer to us to help us  i don’t think it will ever change people are always going to have something negative to say about it

#87166 Reply
    Macca

Oh yes, i had the ‘free car’ thing thrown at me by a colleague many years ago. The monthly DLA payment was about £176 at the time. I said if you regard £176 a month a ‘free’ then yes absolutely its free.

#87169 Reply
    Philjb

Martino completely agree.

These are people who call themselves working class who I thought would be supportive of any help, but the green eyed monster brings out true colours.

Sadly they are the kind of people who stare in anger at anyone younger then themselves having a blue badge or sitting in a disabled seat, looking so well.

Until you’re in the same boat as us lot they’ll never understand what it’s like, so it’s a waste of time trying to educate them.

#87173 Reply
    Macca

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I have another colleague who complained “we never get anything” yet their annual  household income is in the £70k to £80k range. So my question is what exactly is it you need?</p>

#87174 Reply
    SaintsMan

Phil, an ex policeman moaning about free cars, I remember when policemen got free houses!!

#87188 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Joss, RPI I meant. 😮I must have been having a brain storm . I blame the drugs 😂

#87193 Reply
    Dragonfly

Would a non disabled person exchange their good health for a “free” Motability car, I very much doubt it.

Good health is priceless.

#87194 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Absolutely agree Dragonfly. Let then live for a week in my body and I think they’d change their mind.

#87197 Reply
    Philjb

Saintsman

Yes they had a house with his job, they are thoroughly nice people, who have believed what they read I guess.

when I wasn’t on the scheme they never spoke about my health, so it can only be jealousy.

Even if the cap was lowered some folk would still just see it as a free car. So let them get on with it, I don’t have the time or energy to educate them, it would only be a complete waste of time.

#87212 Reply
    Dragonfly

It is all about perception, if you chose to keep your Mobility allowance and spend it solely on Taxi’s people would see you paying for Taxi’s and they would be no comment about “Free” Taxi’s.

#87221 Reply
    Philjb

Dragonfly I also have a taxi card so also get free taxis. 😱

A benefit from living in London.

#87239 Reply
    martino

i might be showing my ignorance but whats a taxi card

#87241 Reply
    joss
    Participant

i might be showing my ignorance but whats a taxi card

You asked hahahaha

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#87244 Reply
    Dragonfly
    Participant

@philjb

I’ve never heard of a Taxi card but more to the point has The Daily Mail 🙂

How does a FREE Taxi card work ??????

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Dragonfly. Reason: spelling
    • This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Dragonfly. Reason: addition
    #87248 Reply
    Philjb

It is basically like a travel card with photo ID on it and a magnetic strip.

You have to phone and book a black cab, I’ve never actually used it yet so I’m not too sure exactly how it works.

I know that my council allows me to double swipe the card on a single trip I think it’s then up to a max of £18 per trip.

Reading online there are mixed reviews of booked cabs not turning up? No good for me.

#87253 Reply
    Dragonfly
    Participant

@philjb

Sounds a good scheme and its FREE ? 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
Reply To: The £30,000 cap

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: