PPF . What should I do next.

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert88
    Participant

After numerous failed attempts at clearing ppf filter on sportage I’ve finally contacted dealership they told me to bring it in for forced regen but won’t do it again because it’s not a fault it’s because I only do short journeys also told me to fill with full as it may take them half a tank to clear what should I do when it obviously happens again.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

Which model year is it please

Robert88
        Participant

Gt-line manual petrol MY24. Also 2 friends who live 1mile away  got same model delivered 2months ago have also got  the filter warning on .

Participant

Ahh i do hope you get it sorted friend ,i too am low mileadge driver ,my mercedes cla 180 shooting break amg after 2 & bit years i have done 5000 miles, that could be that i dislike car its ,,FOR ME,  uncomfortable 4″ road clearance ,feel every bump in road,mbux has mind of its pwn ,door wont always lock ,then alarm sounds , handed back early , next week i pickup new kia sportage gt line s Fhev awd auto , in red ,my25 model i do short journeys but maybe will enjoy new car more ??. Sorry cant offer advice hope it gets soryed for you ..

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Avatar photomickyarmy.
            Participant

All can see is advice drive at speed for 30 mins to clear it ,  ??.

Phaedra
              Participant

Ring Motability on Monday and explain that you’ve tried numerous times to clear this recurring problem (they are well aware of it) and that the car is unsuitable/not fit for purpose.

There’s no way you should be expected to pay for future regen’s or indeed half a tank of petrol to clear a well known and documented problem with these engines that will keep happening time and time again given your low millage use.  Kia/Hyundai have previously released a software “fix” that didn’t cure the problem.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Participant

Robert88. There is thread on here im told you may like to read from max.

A WORD OF ADVICE KIA SPORTAGE GPF FILTER OR AS WE KNOW IT PPF

Google it should come up.

DisabledPaul
                  Spectator

Unfortunately you have picked a vehicle that does not suit your lifestyle.

you will have this problem unless you are prepared to change your lifestyle and do longer journeys which may not be ideal

most likely your best bet would be an BEV especially if you only do short journeys

but as advised above phone Motability and explain you will have to do an early termination

good luck

Participant

Ive just read its problem with many cars ,one suggested hyundai tucsan has it too.  Long journys or short , should not have this issue ,im not gona worry about it . ,myself & mates will visit coast now  & again  give it blast

But many have had sportage for years ,average journeys and no problems .

Robert88
                      Participant

Looked into aBEV but because of no off street parking space for charger it put me off.

Participant

So what is a bev ?? Or are we all supposed to know.

Participant

Ahh battery electric vehicles ,well isnt a Fhev part battery self charge ?? Googled it

Adrian
                            Participant

Battery

Electric

Vehicle

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                              kezo
                              Participant

Unfortunately you have picked a vehicle that does not suit your lifestyle. you will have this problem unless you are prepared to change your lifestyle and do longer journeys which may not be ideal most likely your best bet would be an BEV especially if you only do short journeys but as advised above phone Motability and explain you will have to do an early termination good luck

Don’t have an ICE because your pick a vehicle that does not suit your lifestyle and unless you change your lifestyle  your best bet would be a BEV. Thats bull shit and just scaremongering Paul!

I drove frequent long journeys in my previos Tucson, that had the same PPF problem, which would take 80ish miles to clear. Are you say as a high mileage the vehicle isn’t suitable for my lifestyle, because a BEV would be even less suitable?

Both Hyundai/ Kia are aware of this issue, and dealers should not charge you for a forced regeneration. They are actively working on a software/firmware fix, so its a manufacturing fault, rather than the vehicle not being suitable for the OP lifestyle.

There is alot of talk of dealers trying it on charging the customer after the first free regeneration. However, once challenged with the glut of evidence around the dealer will back down, once told to check with Hyundai/Kia however, for a scheme customer Motability is your friend.

As I understand, the fault has being sorted with my25 cars.

Participant

Well said kezo i agree, ive read Hev sportages less effected by this as they dont have GPF ??? ,im sure kia has sorted for my25 ,sportage an hyundai tucsan.

Bless all.

kezo
                                  Participant

Well said kezo i agree, ive read Hev sportages less effected by this as they dont have GPF ??? ,im sure kia has sorted for my25 ,sportage an hyundai tucsan. Bless all.

It has a PPF/GPF but its the ICE/MHEV only Sportage/Tucson that the problem was common.

You will be ok mate don’t worry 🙂

DisabledPaul
                                    Spectator

Unfortunately you have picked a vehicle that does not suit your lifestyle. you will have this problem unless you are prepared to change your lifestyle and do longer journeys which may not be ideal most likely your best bet would be an BEV especially if you only do short journeys but as advised above phone Motability and explain you will have to do an early termination good luck

Don’t have an ICE because your pick a vehicle that does not suit your lifestyle and unless you change your lifestyle your best bet would be a BEV. Thats bull shit and just scaremongering Paul! I drove frequent long journeys in my previos Tucson, that had the same PPF problem, which would take 80ish miles to clear. Are you say as a high mileage the vehicle isn’t suitable for my lifestyle, because a BEV would be even less suitable? Both Hyundai/ Kia are aware of this issue, and dealers should not charge you for a forced regeneration. They are actively working on a software/firmware fix, so its a manufacturing fault, rather than the vehicle not being suitable for the OP lifestyle. There is alot of talk of dealers trying it on charging the customer after the first free regeneration. However, once challenged with the glut of evidence around the dealer will back down, once told to check with Hyundai/Kia however, for a scheme customer Motability is your friend. As I understand, the fault has being sorted with my25 cars.

@Kezo

I did not say not to have an ICE vehicle, and it’s not bull shite, thats how you have interpreted it! so I suggest you re-read what I wrote again, for your ref”most likely your best bet would be an BEV especially if you only do short journeys”

I cannot comment on you driving of you Tucson, and I don’t know how bad a driver you are, so I will have to take this on face value, but your driving and the other persons is not comparable as you are NOT doing the exact SAME journeys.

Yes I have heard the the Kia/Hyundai brands do frequently suffer this issue a lot, any software update may help may not, every driver and ever journey will be different.

The dealers time has to be paid for and since not ALL Kia/Hyundai vehicles suffer from this issue it would not be a manufacturing defect thus unlikely the manufacture will pay for the dealers time. However I am NOT suggesting the OP should be paying for the labour time involved.

Before the I posted someone else has suggesting ringing Motability and telling them the vehicle is not fit for purpose in order to change the vehicle etc.

I don’t know if the issue is being “sorted” for MY25 vehicles, maybe it is, but if drivers do not do long enough journeys then the exhaust system COULD continue to have the same issue as the vehicle’s exhaust system will not get the extreme temperatures required to burn off the particles and clear the filter.

1, suggesting a BEV was purely based on the fact that ALL ICE vehicle have particulate filters and of course BEV’s don’t thus would eliminate the issue, this gives the OP an option or at least food for thought should a BEV vehicle meet their needs.

2, by getting another of the same vehicle or other ICE vehicle MAY result in the same issues, therefore the OP might find themself in the same situations so might want to explore other options such as the BEV.

Neither you or I can resolve this for the OP, but I wish them well of finding a suitable outcome that meets their needs without hassle.

DisabledPaul
                                      Spectator

Looked into aBEV but because of no off street parking space for charger it put me off.

Just for context, having a access to home charging is the easiest and cheapest form of BEV runnings costs, but having to use public chargers can be comparable to the cost of buying petrol/diesel, there is also lots of apps to help keep an eye on public charging prices

Goodluck

kezo
                                        Participant

Hyundai Customer Care Team have today (23.2.23) advised that a software update has been rolled out to dealers in the U.K to resolve PPF. Kia advised of a similar update in the same week.

It affects the Tucson/Sportage ICE/mhev, first registered 2022>

Participant

Yes kezo thankyou.

Participant

Thats good for those effected, hope it helps them

Phaedra
                                              Participant

@Mickyarmy That’s the software “fix” I mentioned.

It was 17 months ago, not only did it not work but there’s been no further movement on providing a solution and they still kept selling cars with the known problem and not advising buyers about it.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

DJP
                                                Participant

We have had our mhev sportage for 22 months and for the last 18 months only had ppf problem twice, and yes it’s been short journeys so I don’t see it as that much of a problem, I just did a 30 mile motorway drive at normal speeds.

kezo
                                                  Participant

@Mickyarmy That’s the software “fix” I mentioned. It was 17 months ago, not only did it not work but there’s been no further movement on providing a solution and they still kept selling cars with the known problem and not advising buyers about it.

Indeed mate and kept blaming owners they wern’t driving right or it wasn’t suitable for their lifestyle. A recall was never made public, which was probably to prevent a law suite in europe. Those that kept complaing to the dealer and HQ were offered potentially offered the software update as a trial. (Got email from Hyundai). It didn’t work and both Hyundai/Kia kept on with their mantra to new owners and a second forced regen would be chargeable. If it wasn’t for the power of forums, I guess many more would have been charged on second attempt for something that wasn’t the owners fault.

The strange thing is Hyundai/Kia use the 1.6T gdi engine in a number of vehicles but, the fault mainly manifested on the then facelifted Tucson/Sportage.

Fast forward to MY2025 which came a year ahead of its time, as MY24 didn’t exist, Hyundai/Kia have completely changed the characteristics of the engine line up, software and the exhaust PPF sensor is now new and I have had it on good authority the problem is no more, hence the reason for my recent lease.

A neghbour round the corner took delivery of the 2025 Tucson after trading his Sportage in. As a tower he said the engine is night and day to his Sportage and has not had the dreaded light come on 🤞

Its a shame europe isn’t like America with lawsuits.

Participant

Thats reasureing kezo.

I look forward to my new. FHev gts

Participant

Robert88

Look on utube theres irish bloke got vid

(How to clear your ppf light hyundai tucsan ) but sportage same ,

May help google it its on utube in killometers but convert 80 kl is 50 mph. May help. Put in sport mode on auto brings up rev counter.  It seems good advice. Check it out .

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.