Leaser’s Remorse

• Creator
    Topic
    MickC
    Participant

Has anyone had leaser’s remorse when they leased an EV or any other vehicle type for that matter.

Act in haste…repent at leisure.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Fastbike1000
      Participant

Every time I pick and get a new mobility car I always have remorse about my choice.

Jojoe
        Participant

Love our current Octavia estate DSG mild hybrid. We hated a Nissan Micra in the mid nineties, it didn’t have power steering and Mrs Joe struggled with it. Motability agreed to let her change it after 6 months, only time she’s ever swapped mid lease.

Participant

PUG 3008 had to swap it after 9 months due to so many problems, all of them electrical.

----------------------------
            Hyundai Ioniq 6 Ultimate
            Scale modeller in my spare time

Participant

Had 3 golf’s 1.5 tsi 7 speed dsg best gearbox I ever had

Macca
              Participant

Yep, one of the original 1.6 manual Vauxhall Mokka’s. Piece of junk, .alfunctioning gearbox, seats that aggrivated back problems. Only lasted 3 months before Motability terminated the lease. Glad to see the back of thst one. Only one we’ve ever needed to terminate.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Macca.
                CraigE
                Participant

Yes had a Megane E Tech had to terminate the lease only 2 months in for various reasons. We collected the car prior to the attempted  home charger installation and it turned out they couldn’t install the charger as our home electrics required an upgrade which would cost thousands so we had to rely on local public chargers which was a nightmare and costly (65p kWh) probably more expensive than petrol. We also never had no more than 180 miles a charge and that was driving sensibly. Loved the car but hated charging it. I travel from my house in Cobham to Brighton once a week which is a 100 mile round trip and the car couldn’t make it without a charge (all motorway)  We would have kept the car if we could have had a home charger. We went back a petrol XC40 last week.

DBtruth
                  Participant

Of all the cars I’ve leased, I think the only time I had leasers remorse was when I switched from a Seat Leon mk2 1.6tdi to a Leon mk3 1.8tsi. On paper the mk3 was better in every way but I really missed the mk2 for a long time after I handed it back. It was a car that I really enjoyed which is something you can’t see on a spec sheet! I got over it eventually but even now when I occasionally see a mk2 I think ah I wish I still had mine

Adrian
                    Participant

Nope ? because I spend 3 years deliberating.

I do regret cancelling my Corolla order just before COVID.

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                      Fastbike1000
                      Participant

PUG 3008 had to swap it after 9 months due to so many problems, all of them electrical.

I’ve been having problems with my Ariya electrics. At the moment it’s been 6 different issues with the last being in the workshop for nearly 3 weeks, but I think I’ll stick with it for now.

Callmejohn
                        Participant

I’ve been having problems with my Ariya electrics. At the moment it’s been 6 different issues with the last being in the workshop for nearly 3 weeks, but I think I’ll stick with it for now.

That is why I ended up going for mechanical hand controls instead of electric hand controls, as I (rightly or wrongly)  thought, enough electrics to potentially go wrong in my new Ioniq 6 EV without adding more electronics.

Fortunately I have never had a car that I thought was a mistake and regretted, as I do my homework beforehand, although I have never had a test drive beforehand as it would need hand controls and I think it would be a different feeling from having a test drive as a passenger.

Although having said that, it is obviously down to luck if you get a Friday Afternoon car with loads of faults that you could not possibly have foreseen. Fortunately so far that has not happened to me in the 11 Motability cars that I have had, bought new (1) and leased (10).

Oscarmax
                          Participant

My first Mobility car 2006 Ford Focus C-Max 1.8 diesel in metallic silver AP£400 and paid extra for a factory fitted towbar, on collection they handed over a black 2.0 diesel but higher specification model the AP they could no longer order a 1.8 model ?

Told us the AP to us £400 if we excepted the car plus this one already had the towbar fitted, like an idiot we said ok especially as it had the later 2.0 engine.

From then it went downhill, the aircon dis not work back several time it only worked for one day, towbar not factory fitted but badly fitted by a local firm back several times for rectification, and then it rained and the boot filled with rain, several attempts to repair the jack had to be replaced as it went rusty, they eventually seal the roof bars with black silicon, what a mess.

As a car it was fine minus the none working aircon, but I lost any interest in the car, Mobility were not interested we ended up parking it up until the end of the lease, we left the scheme until 2017.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Oscarmax.
                            MickC
                            Participant

Some great replies.

kezo
                              Participant

Going for manual on current car. Regreted it ever since.

Phaedra
                                Participant

Got a Mk2 Qashqai when they came out absolutely awful car, 1.5 diesel manual.  Terrible fuel economy, frequently died pulling out of junctions and more  🙁

Returned it to Motability after about 4 months and got a Kuga, much better!.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Participant

Yes, mine has to be:  Getting a Tiguan DSG with the extra tech on without doing research that there is a known error/fault, and a 5 month lead time on parts to fix.

Motability had it back and said I could pick something else, I picked a Kuga 1.5 eco boost and manual – Regret!

Im now awaiting a Golf DSG regretted going back to a manual and i’ve also got newly diagnosed medical conditions which are making it really difficult for me to drive manual.

OH is doing all the driving until the Golf comes.

VW Basic model has better quality than Ford ST Line X ive also made sure it doesn’t include the tech that has common issues on.

Ford has so many noise issues too, wind getting in and random plastic tapping sounds coming from the seat belt retraction area whilst driving.

Also no longer need such a large car. Only ever me and my son in the car or me and my partner!

Give me a car that gets me A to B that’s smooth and comfortable, good on fuel and that’s all I ask for.

DumfriesDik
                                    Participant

I had to swap out a Ford Fiesta 1.8 diesel early. A truly shocking car and swapped for a VW Golf diesel turbo, an amazing car. Both were manual.

The CURRENT car I am very happy with. See what I did?!

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Southamman
                                      Participant

Mitsubishi Outlander Petrol, not PHEV, ok on test drive, but on longer journeys the seats were uncomfortable after a while and the CVT gearbox was noisy and gutless, had to early change that one to a skida superb estate, beautiful riding car

Ele
                                        Participant

Yes had a Megane E Tech had to terminate the lease only 2 months in for various reasons. We collected the car prior to the attempted home charger installation and it turned out they couldn’t install the charger as our home electrics required an upgrade which would cost thousands so we had to rely on local public chargers which was a nightmare and costly (65p kWh) probably more expensive than petrol. We also never had no more than 180 miles a charge and that was driving sensibly. Loved the car but hated charging it. I travel from my house in Cobham to Brighton once a week which is a 100 mile round trip and the car couldn’t make it without a charge (all motorway) We would have kept the car if we could have had a home charger. We went back a petrol XC40 last week.

Personally when having a choice when route planning with an EV

I would in this instance have chosen to avoid the motorway route you chose on this particular journey as its motorway for 60 miles (60% of your 100 mile trip )

imo

Using the available alternative 24min (12 ew) longer 100 mile total  A road route option would have enabled longer range to have been achieved, due to it now being regen territory unlike motorways

I have the exact same car and now driven 1600 miles and I don’t recognise your quoted range or even your journey details as its not all motorway as you have stated

Although now realised its always best imo to check and do homework into the possible extra charger installations costs before ordering an EV

A free home survey is available via Motorbility and that would have highlighted any extra installation costs prior to accepting a vehicle

Lease remorse in 2014 ( if remembered correctly ) Nissan Note

After driving it for just 7000 miles in the first year  the steering and  drive quality dropped off a cliff it became a completely different car

I had mixed feelings with the Ford Grand C Max 1.5 Diesel

I still rate as the best car to drive steering and comfort wise

But biggest downside it was gutless when pulling out and onto a roundabout a change to the 190bhp Bmw tourer was a big step up although it liked its juice when pushed but that’s to be expected

Present car Megan E Tec Iconic no regrets now or expect there to be any

Loving it each time I look at it let alone drive it

Participant

Definitely had buyer’s remorse with my current vehicle, a Ford Galaxy.

Had a list of problems, from seven software crashes, an engine that cuts out whenever the Adblue level drops below halfway, windscreen wipers that come on on dry days if you put the aircon on high, an oil leak that has been looked at (and supposedly cured) four times and two manufacturer recalls. It also has a really annoying habit of activating collision assist braking whenever a car passes too close in the opposite direction.

My Ford dealer service manager tells me that they just get one like this now and then. That doesn’t help and I will be really happy to see it go once another suitable car comes onto the scheme.

Adrian
                                            Participant

@Willis you have stronger resolve than me, if my car tried to kill me I think that would be reason enough for divorce!

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                                              Glos Guy
                                              Participant

Having had 3 VW Tiguans that, whilst lacking any character and being functional rather than exciting, I was very glad to get rid of the 4th. Very poor infotainment system, unrefined engine, adaptive headlights too slow to react, adaptive cruise not good and, worst of all, the crash avoidance system activated in error several times which could have caused a serious accident. Changed to a BMW X1 which was SO much better in every respect, other than the fact that the standard seats in the Tiguan were more comfortable so we had to opt for Sport seats in the BMW, albeit leather was standard in the BMW and around £1,600 extra in the VW, which is daft.

It taught me a very important lesson, which is that you shouldn’t just judge a car by a tick list of what standard equipment it has, but how well the systems actually work. I knew that BMWs infotainment was the best on the market, but I hadn’t  appreciated that there was such a huge difference in how different manufacturers safety and driver aid systems worked.

ChrisK
                                                Participant

Hi Glos Guy

I know you’ve had, along with others, slight problems with your previous Tiguans but my Mk 2.5 Tiguan has not put a foot wrong (I’m touching wood as I said that ) including all the adaptive stuff.

Motorways or A-Roads are a doddle and the car more or less drives itself including the steering though I add you still need to take full control of it when the display and sensors tell me its having trouble reading the road ahead and you can’t not take your hands off the wheel indefinitely but can let it just feed itself through your light touch fingers on the wheel.

With the headlights I did take onboard what you have said about the auto lights (thanks for that) so added IQ Lights to my order and they are brilliant and by brilliant I don’t mean just the brightness of the light but the tech that makes them work and how they work. It really is a joy to watch them preform on dark countryside B-Roads. The IQ Lights have had an upgrade on the new Tiguan to IQ Light HD that increases the definition of the light from hundreds to thousands spotlights.

I was a bit wary of the black headliner but soon fell in love with it making the car feel very cosy on cold Winter nights but I’m still not a big fan of touch sensitive controls on the steering wheel though I’ve got on OK with them and regardless of what car reviews say the ventilation control panel does have back lighting, may have been added on the Mk2.5 face lift.

Only one tiny niggle I have with build quality is the nearside back passenger doorhandles doesn’t retract sometimes though the door closes proper but its such a tiny niggle I’ve not bother to report it and will ask the dealer to have a look at it in February 2025 when the car is serviced.

But yes I think the BMW’s are more prestige than VW even though you’d think the way VW have increased their prices the past 5 years there trying to force prestige price on a, just a little bit up market car.

Back to topic, the only remorse I’ve had was my last car (KIA) because I was told it had an electric handbrake but it never.

Glos Guy
                                                  Participant

Hi @ChrisK I’m not being sarcastic when I ask this, it’s a genuine question, but have you driven modern BMWs? The reason that I ask is because I wasn’t implying that the VW systems didn’t work, but just that they work so much better on BMWs. You have to drive both side by side to really notice the stark difference. As I say, I will definitely be looking at the new Tiguan, but I will be checking very carefully to see if they have addressed many of the issues that frustrated me before, which may not be apparent to those who haven’t experienced how some other manufacturers systems work. I always thought that the build quality on the Tiguan was pretty good. Admittedly not quite BMW level, but better than most.

The other thing that I will be looking to see if VW have improved is engine refinement and economy. Their diesel engines are quite loud compared to the BMW equivalents and our 2.0i petrol BMW achieves 4mpg better fuel economy than our previous 2.0 diesel VW!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Glos Guy.
                                                    ChrisK
                                                    Participant

Hi GG

No not driven a modern one, can only drive adapted cars these days but used to use the bosses BMW sometimes going back to 2006, can’t say what the model was except it was expensive ?. As it happens my grandson owns a 2005 BMW and still preforms well for it’s age.

None of those car had anything like today’s driving aids so not driven anything in the modern motoring times other than my 64 plate Golf had the jumping on the brakes effect that gets the old heart pumping a bit when using ACC but not seen anything like that in my new car other than it can get confused reading speed limit signs. I think it reads the signs on the street with a camera in front of the rear view mirror plus a data base from the satnav. Only thing that’s made my heart skip in this car was when I was first trying out the automatic driving as the ACC has a data base linked to the satnav that slows the car to the right speed for taking a given bend and that drivers display shows the speed that will be used. However not all bends are included and when I drove down through the Wye Valley with its winding roads it was a bit of a fairground ride. I’ve since read the manual that tells me on some of those occasions the system should be turned off. Well you live and learn, then sometime you live and die if you don’t read the manual first.?

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by ChrisK.
                                                    Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.