How do the figures add up?

This topic contains 55 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #103257 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Some of the figures quoted are just plain ridiculous.

An example –

Dacia Sandero 0.9 Tce Comfort

List price excluding VAT £7756

Manufacturers discount say 15% £1163

Net price £6593

Services £250 x 3 £750

Insurance 3 x £350 £1050

Total cost £8393

AP £0

Weekly amount £57.50 x 156 £8970

So even if the car was worthless after 3 years Motability will make a profit of £577

Surely this is exploitation of disabled people.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #103258 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Blimey Eliott you do love a little of the inflammatory language. ‘exploitation’

The blanket costing model does make the ‘cheaper’ cars more expensive but If you run the same experiment for a Tiguan R-Line Tech and then take into consideration that a lot more people will be ordering the Tiguan, then work out a ratio of orders and then take the profit of the Dacia verses losses of the Tiguan, factor in the costs of running the Business and paying the staff and you will find that no one is being exploited.

#103261 Reply

mitch
    Participant

its called selective hyperbole, pull one fact that shows the point you want to make and apply it accross the board. the gutter press have been doing it for years.

wind people up with an explosive headline “fact” and youve sold a lot more papers, by the time someone sensible points out its a load of hogwash youve banked your money.  lol

#103263 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

I could do the exercise with more expensive cars.

Remember the BMW 3 series tourers that Motability were getting dirt cheap yet charging top price for.

They really are making the most of their monopoly and VAT free status.

#103265 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Blimey Eliott you do love a little of the inflammatory language. ‘exploitation’ The blanket costing model does make the ‘cheaper’ cars more expensive but If you run the same experiment for a Tiguan R-Line Tech and then take into consideration that a lot more people will be ordering the Tiguan, then work out a ratio of orders and then take the profit of the Dacia verses losses of the Tiguan, factor in the costs of running the Business and paying the staff and you will find that no one is being exploited.

So the poor old dears who can’t put together an AP are subsidising those that can?

#103266 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Oh please. It’s ‘not for profit’ any money they make goes back into the system. Yes – the top brass make good money but who do you want running the company – ‘Swiss Tony’ (younger people use google again)

#103268 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

So the poor old dears who can’t put together an AP are subsidising those that can?

What makes you think they are poor or old? Perhaps they just really want a small ‘simple’ car and are really happy with the security blanket of Motability. Not everyone is looking for the biggest bargain or discount.

#103269 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Oh please. It’s ‘not for profit’ any money they make goes back into the system. Yes – the top brass make good money but who do you want running the company – ‘Swiss Tony’ (younger people use google again)

It should be not for profit in order to get it’s VAT exempt status.

#103270 Reply

Michael

Hi,let’s look at how those of us would run such a Company so as to make provision for diffent needs of people, how about setting out how you or I would do this then compare the two, Cheers

#103271 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Not true. Motability have the VAT free status, motability operations could easily be ‘for profit’ we have motability to thank for this.

#103272 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Hi,let’s look at how those of us would run such a Company so as to make provision for diffent needs of people, how about setting out how you or I would do this then compare the two, Cheers

It would depend on whose benefit I was running it for.

#103278 Reply

Philjb

Lucky you didn’t buy one on the scheme then, you’d never sleep.

#103282 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Oversimplification is a dangerous exercise. There are a host of costs not allowed for in this example, there’s 3 years RAC service, Tyres, non-warranty repairs and maintenance like brakes, clutches etc, Business Overheads, offices, salaries, etc, and that’s before you talk about grants, subsidised adaptations, the cost of early lease endings, the good condition bonus most get which isn’t strictly reduced like most leases would do, on top of which, the average car insurance is closer to £450-500 based on my quick googling and has most likely gone up since, all relatively minor things but I’m willing to be there’s 2-3 grand per lease in those things alone and I have zero doubt that there are things I’m not even considering.

EDIT: Adblue, there’s one lol, wipers for two, and still bet there are loads more

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#103287 Reply

mitch
    Participant

time and again people come on here to wind people up saying its a rip off there are better deals out there etc etc. and none have shown anything apart from the odd lease that is slightly cheaper but with none of the benefits of motability, insurance recovery tyres etc etc. esp the fact that most people get the good condition bonus whereas a lease from elsewhere try and bill you for every scratch etc etc. then they go on about the staff wages and the running costs etc.

sure any large organisation could do stuff better no one is perfect and i am sure we could all come up with stuff we think would improve things. most forget that there are two organisations involved here not just one and different rules and regulations apply to each. motability the charity and motability operations.

motability operations is the entity that supplys the cars etc and if it makes a profit it goes to motability the charity which gives the grants etc.

i just wish people would do their homework before mouthing off.

i for one think they do pretty well given the scrutiny they have. and hopefully they will improve.

#103290 Reply

Andy
    Participant

It’s just Elliot, he doesn’t have a car on the scheme, I doubt there will ever be a car good enough for him on the scheme, and seems to hate the scheme anyway so I would question his motives when they post.

#103294 Reply

jamesg

Just  someone  with  different  views from  yourself .  Dont let it  wind  you up !

#103295 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Lucky you didn’t buy one on the scheme then, you’d never sleep.

No I would be very annoyed.

#103296 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

It’s just Elliot, he doesn’t have a car on the scheme, I doubt there will ever be a car good enough for him on the scheme, and seems to hate the scheme anyway so I would question his motives when they post.

When my current deal is up I would love to get a car on the scheme, but there’s no way I will as it stands.

#103301 Reply

Winston

Nope you’ve made that absolutely clear time and time and time and time again…

you’ll just log in here and slate the scheme and the choices we and every other Motability customer all make and save up hard for over 3 years

classy guy 👍🏻

#103304 Reply

Bandit
    Participant

It’s exactly like pretty much anything else in commerce.

Ya pays YOUR money and takes YOUR choice.

#103311 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Nope you’ve made that absolutely clear time and time and time and time again… you’ll just log in here and slate the scheme and the choices we and every other Motability customer all make and save up hard for over 3 years classy guy 👍🏻

Och aye the nooo

#103312 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Confucius say “to put a fire out you starve it of oxygen” aso lol

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#103314 Reply

Winston

Wise words Brydo, slightly more elegant than this persons review lol

my friend just sent me it, so I thought I’d share on here  to give our Southern friends ( and Elliot ) a laugh at our lingo 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

#103317 Reply

Winston

I can translate it for anyone who can’t decipher it 🤣

#103319 Reply

Philjb

Elliot my post was in jest I can’t even see why you’d be angry?
    you continue to make post like this thinking it’s some kind of amazing wisdom.
    we know there are other car deals out there, we also know they are not like for like.
    If I wanted to leave the scheme and find a new or used car again I wouldn’t need to keep trying to justify my decision on here get over it.
    you made your decision it’s fine.

Now if you find a decent discount for cars on the scheme then we are all ears.

#103320 Reply

Philjb

Subtitles please 😂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
Reply To: How do the figures add up?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: