golf gte

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155134 Reply
    matt

anyone fancy the new gte?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155141 Reply
    Matthew

Does look good . Good electric range and 0-60 but boot not very big due to battery

#155143 Reply
    joss

It looks very nice I have to say. However. The AP is a killer..

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155148 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well, as I’ve said elsewhere today, just ordered a T-ROC 2.0L 4×4. Really rather fancied the GTE, having driven one, but with hindsight I will definitely stick with the T-ROC. It is only half a second slower to 60, although some testers got the same 6.7 figure. It is much more comfy, has 4×4 which is better than the electronic LSD in the GTD. Best of all, AP £1K as opposed to GTD’s £3k plus. Also won’t run out of charge and leave you with a 1.4L lump.

#155156 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

How long have you been quoted for delivery Tharg.

#155159 Reply
    Rene

I’m not sure that this comparison is valid. You got a brand new top spec hot PHEV Golf on one hand, with all the new toys like matrix LED units etc, and a mid spec end of life T-Roc (with a facelift confirmed in march, release around q4 this year where it will get the fresh infotainment, probably matrix LEDs as well, and potentially a 48v hybrid too).

The price for the GTE is fair (ish), the only Golf with an outlandish price tag is the Golf Style eTSI for £2800.

That said: the GTD just blows all the things out of the water, in terms of value for money, at £1800 for the GTD, there’s no beating that.

#155161 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@Elliot I was given a 12 week delivery for the T-ROC and the GTD was 24 weeks. The extra wait was the major reason for choosing the T-ROC (am changing from a Mini hatch because of the ride and my backbones can’t wait that long).

@Rene
    I take your point. I was merely saying that, given the APs and spec’s involved the T-ROC makes more sense for me. I really do not care about new looks, infotainment, LEDs etc. The car felt good on the road, is capable of being prompt when required and is dead comfy.

#155164 Reply
    Appleman

Got my T-Roc in May,great to get in and out of, small suv,the infotainment system great,and non of these stupid touch and slide with your fingers, proper knobs you can hold , great car,great price, new one will no dought have sliders not switches,tried and tested them , not for me, as for the car very quite,very comfy and great vision  T-Roc SEL DSG very pleased and not a smelly noisy diesel, or an electric milk float running around in a panic out of juice . Enjoy Tharg i know you will mine was 11 weeks order to dealer

#155165 Reply
    Richardw

Smelly, noisy diesel? Milk float?  Some people are so protective

#155166 Reply
    Appleman

Protective of what ? driven em all over last 58 years to this Feb. just a statement after all tests, electric still 5 years off good intrastucture,diesel glad when i moved it on, petrol no issues so just my experience , hols coming up hopefully for many,get down cornwall with a ev you will spend many hours waiting to charge due to others in front of you,

#155167 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, Mr Appleman. You put my mind more at rest that I’ve chosen the right motor. One of the car magazines described it as a “slightly detuned GTi wearing a posh frock and high heels”.

I also considered the ID3. But found it a bit uncomfortable. Moreover, even the car salesman said that he felt that VW have not got the electric thing quite right yet. Few year to go before they’re as perfect as VW customers come to expect. Agrees with you then!

#155180 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Whilst any Golf is too small & low for us, I really welcome the addition of the GTE. It was nice to see so many people get excited about the GTD when that joined the scheme and, as others have said, both have different strengths so it’s great that customers have the choice. I’m sure that both are excellent cars in their own way.

#155187 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Despite choosing a non-Golf for myself, must agree with GG, above. The GTE drove very well. Relatively comfortable for a car with point-and-go handling. Sure it would be a most satisfying motor long-term, Similarly the GTD. Had the combination of that engine and gearbox in a Superb and it worked very well. Effortless, smooth and powerful.

Got used to the whole touch-screen thing quite comfortably and quickly. Surprising, but the system seems quite intuitive. Managed to reset aircon, drive profile and intrusive radio without even thinking about the manual. Only reservation was the amount of choices available.  Three or four suspension settings, same again for driver profiles and then the whole electric/petrol/hybrid settings. Bit confusing but I’m sure you’d get used to it quickly.

#155188 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Thanks @Tharg. I think you have definitely gone for the correct car there. If it hadn’t been for the 3 series coming on to the list it was one I would have considered. The GTE is fine for mainly short trips, but when the electricity has run out you are left with that puny 1.4l engine which definitely won’t achieve a 0-60 time below 8 seconds on it’s own.

#155255 Reply
    JamesH

I think your interpretation of how a PHEV works is a little bit off.

“but when the electricity has run out you are left with that puny 1.4l engine”

I drive the outlander PHEV and have never experienced the electricity “running out” and being left with a slower car. It is just not the way they work. Even when your prestored electric miles are used the car’s engine will power the battery and your still left with a hybrid drive that utilises both. Your MPG will be a lot less but you won’t suffer a loss of speed or pull away as a result.

Personally having moved to a PHEV I would never want to go back to a Petrol or Diesel engine. Such a great driving experience even in the brick like Outlander.

I agree with the comments about infrastructure although it has massively improved and will continue to do so. If you regularly make longer trips a PHEV is the best option. If you don’t then go the full electric.

#155265 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

JamesH Thank you for that. I thought that battery could discharge completely. Assumption based on stuff in motoring mag websites. Hmmm. Sorry.

#155270 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Well it must be different then to other hybrids I’ve driven and certainly the ones the motoring press have driven. I must congratulate VW on their unique technology.

#155271 Reply
    Mike

Just ignore Elliot with his uninformed, idiotic, negative comments. That’s what I do.

#155278 Reply
    joss

@Mike There is no need for your vitriolic comments towards Elliot. Please read the forum rules.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155279 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Hardly vitriolic, Joss. One insulting word, the others factually correct.

vitriolic
    /ˌvɪtrɪˈɒlɪk/

adjective
    filled with bitter criticism or malice

#155280 Reply
    Richardw

Oh Appleman, dishing it out is one thing but you have to learn to be more accepting of others comments. Smelly diesel and milk float are comments which are both inaccurate and likely to wind people up. I will always prefer petrol cars but people chose their cars for lots of different reasons

#155281 Reply
    joss

@Wigwam I am well aware of the meaning of vitriolic thanks. While it might be too strong an adjective. My point remains. Mike’s comments are against the forum rules.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155282 Reply
    Richardw

Oh and one insulting word is one too many regardless of the accuracy of the sentence as a whole.

#155283 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yes, I agree Richards. My objection was to Joss’s hyperbole.

#155285 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

They are not my comments that’s another Mike

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#155286 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Other matters aside, can someone please tell me whether a PHEV loses power when the battery is depleted on a long or energetic journey. Some Car Mag sites say it does, most just ignore the issue.

Have looked for and engineering/science site for explanation but drawn a blank.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
Reply To: golf gte
Your information: