Colin's own Tiguan Thread

• Creator
    Topic
  • #106385 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Thought I’d stick up a new thread to avoid re-re-re-re-hijacking the other Tiguan threads, and as a bonus, you can never have too many Tiguan threads, right?

Got my R-Line today, about 10 days after the original collection arrangement, no explanation but I got it so happy enough.  First two thoughts are a little on the negative side to be honest. The car FEELS a lot smaller than the Volvo despite only being slightly smaller mathematically but time and adjustments to seating etc. will no doubt have an effect on that – I pretty much got in the car and drove off without adjusting anything lol.
    The second is that there is a BIG difference in the level of “luxury feel” – there’s not a single thing about the Tiguan which I don’t like but coming from the Volvo there’s no denying it doesn’t feel as premium. Having said that, the Volvo had a list price close to £50k and the Tiguan a little over £30k so its absolutely understandable – there’s no way the Volvo is £15k more luxurious than the Tiguan, that much is for sure.

There was a little theatrics in the dealer, car all covered up and the guy asked if I wanted to pull off the sheet – wet blanket me said something along the lines of “If it was MINE I might be tempted but it’s a long term loan at the end of the day” lol

Every bit as good looking as expected once the sheet was off, don’t have loads of pics, just a quick one as I didn’t want to look an idiot running around the car with the phone…

I’m going to reply to this thread over the next day or so as I fit the extras I have bought – this way the other people thinking about what to buy or not buy can get a before and after of each item so they can make a more informed decision…

First impressions are positive, especially on the MPG front – the Volvo deliberately teased me on the way to the dealer, lighting up the E symbol which means you’re getting really good economy compared to recently, but the truth was it was still low 30’s. Bearing in mind I’ve done little more than drive home from the dealer and then a quick school run to pick up our 7-year-old, the Tiguan is already showing 37 and I’ve read in several places I can expect that to improve once the engine has a few hundred miles of running in done…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #106560 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Had mine for 2 years now and the only thing that disappointed me was the fairy light bulb in the boot. Thanks for that Colin just ordered 2 from the bay.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#106745 Reply
    Winston

Not sure what the weather has been like down your way Colin, but just wondered how you were getting in with the new wheels?

#106759 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

IF you ACTUALLY mean the wheels themselves, I am yet to kerb one lol. 2 days old and already had a low tyre pressure warning. I visually checked them and they seemed fine so I reset it until I have time to properly check it – figured if I actually had a puncture it’d come back on and my son who has a 66 plate Seat Ibiza told me that you get a red puncture warning AFTER the yellow check pressure warning.

As for referring to the whole car as the new wheels, if it’d stop raining for half an hour, I’d go check them properly but I can’t do it at home now as I gave my little pressure testing gadget to my son for a weekend away when he thought he might have a slow puncture a couple of years ago and unsurprisingly haven’t seen it since lol.

No more progress on the “mods” – don’t see the need to swap the glove box bulb really, never really use it, and I want a couple of dry days so there’s zero moisture in the doors before I fit the wind deflectors – call me paranoid but I don’t think the double-sided tape which is part of the fitting will play well with the damp.

In general, I’m happy enough with the car – my sons, both 23-year-old and 7-year-old seem to like it a lot more than I do lol but defnitely happier, especially my geeky side…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#106771 Reply
    Winston

Yeah I was just meaning “ how’s the new car mate?” Lol

but I’m glad to hear the alloys are still pristine , 6 months in mines are too but I have probably just jinxed myself 🙈😭

when I collected my car my tyres were set to about 48 which is about 10 higher than recommended , my pals was the same when she collected hers , so I’m sure once you’re able to check them, reset them and store the new values you’ll be cool 🙌🏻

hopefully the weather picks up a bit and you’re able to put some miles on the clock soon!

I can imagine your boys liking the look of the car with the lights and the digital screens inside etc 👍🏻

#106780 Reply
    ZaheerUK

Wow! Nice car Colin! Glad you’re enjoying it! Trying to keep it clean in this weather is the hard bit! Good luck mate!

#106784 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Had it 36 hours and it got its first clean as it got dive-bombed by a bunch of sadistic seagulls lol, but even then it just got a blast where the crap was, didn’t do the whole car

#106796 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

I can imagine your boys liking the look of the car with the lights and the digital screens inside etc

The 23-year-old is a self-confessed VW nut so he was easy lol – the 7-year-old loves swinging his foot to open the boot and is over the moon that he has his own cup-holder on the aircraft tray

#106797 Reply
    Winston

They have good style 🙌🏻

I’ve never sat in the back of mines yet, are the trays sturdy enough to actually work and have a purpose?

#106801 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Oh yes, you just have to remember the button to release the lock of you may snap the damned thing trying to get it up or down lol. They aren’t huge but they’ll do the job

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Colin.

#106803 Reply
    Winston

That’s good to know cheers 👍🏻

my back seats are permanently forward , but if I go a wee run in my pals and we grab snack, I’ll suggest we sit in the back and use the trays lol

#106805 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

I think the drivers-side rear seat in mine may well end up permanently folded too – with the smaller boot than the XC60 and the failed experiment with the new wheelchair it’s the only way I can get much more than a single bag of shopping in :s

#106806 Reply
    Winston

You can always squeeze some bags of shopping on the floor behind the front seats even when the back seats are forward 👍🏻 It’s amazing how much you can fit there

and if you’re travelling alone the front seat and floor holds a fair bit aswell

I turned off the warning beep of the seatbelt reminder for that very purpose 🤣

#106823 Reply
    Winston

Another thing I bought for the car was these key covers, they keys look and feel exceptionally cheap so I think these were about a tenner from amazon , can get a few different colours , it’s a kind of vinyl cover the key slips into , looks ten time better and also protects the key if it’s dropped!

Key fits in nice n snug 👍🏻

#106824 Reply
    Winston

#106840 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

That’s one thing I don’t have an issue with in my new motor, boot space.

The mat that’s in there was the old one out of the Alhambra (got a new one now that fits), as you can see it’s much bigger that the Alhambra and the height is massive! 😁

#106858 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

9 times out of 10, its me in the drivers seat, with my wife in the front passenger seat. We have an ISOFIX recaro car seat pretty much permanently fitted to the rear passenger seat for the 7-year-old, and it’s a pretty side seat with added side impact protection so it makes it difficult to have the centre section down so I’m basically limited to the rear drivers-side seat for folding.

Pretty much every day we have a postal tube or two from my business to drop off at a Hermes parcelshop on the way home from the unit so that seat may well never come up again lol.

I was very tempted to get the Caddy Maxi Life but it was pretty basic and while I felt I could deal with dropping from the 190bhp in the Volvo to the 150 in the Tiguan, I didn’t fancy the 101 in the caddy (which is mega annoying as it’s the same basic engine as the 150 and 187bhp 2 litre diesels so it’s 100% a choice by VW to de-tune the hell out of it as I didn’t fancy the potential hassle of a remap.)

As regards turning off warnings, I keep meaning to turn off the speeding warning, there are a shocking number of roads in my area where the car has the wrong speed. We have 20mph zones all over the place but the car doesn’t have accurate data on where they go back to 30 and then back to 20 so it moans at me regularly in the 30’s as it thinks its still a 20. There’s also a stretch of 70mph dual carriageway nearlby I use a lot which the Tiguan thinks is a 60 so it pesters me there too. I’ve already changed the warning from 3mph above to 12 so it isn’t as bad as it was the first couple days but I think I might turn it off altogether.

Need to decide if I want to spend the money on the OBD gadget to make some other changes or not – need to do more digging and see what it can do and what I will use. So far the only think I KNOW of I’d like to change is the heated seat memory – wife has said something about having to turn it on every time we get in but it isn’t enough to justify it alone – I’ve heard about an accelerator edit which people seem to like, but not sure how much more I’d do/need.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Colin.

#106862 Reply
    Winston

You do like your edit button don’t you 😉

if you have an android device you can download the OBD11 app then search for your type of car and it will show you exactly what it can do

you also have the ability to do the long coding to do more , but I’ve never bothered with that side of thing

Carista is the other device you can buy , and will work on both iOS and Android , you can select the better Throttle Response on Carista and it does make a bit of a difference to be honest 👍🏻

ive got both and did lots of wee tweaks and personalisations

very handy Little pieces of kit

#106868 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Hi winston

Which Carista did you buy if you dont mind me asking. Do you still have to pay a monthly subscription to use it once you have bought the adaptor ? and whats the difference between that and the ODB11 one

regards

Stuart

#106875 Reply
    Winston

Just the one on amazon that’s about 20 quid the now

I think once u buy it and activate it you get a week or months free trial and then after that it’s like 25/30 for the years subscription , 30 bucks over the year is peanuts so that’s the option I went for , it means you can use it on other cars aswell , as many as you like infact

it can be used in iOS and Android

OBD11 pro I got a good few years ago, I think it was around the £50 mark , no yearly subscription charge

the app is android only , like Carista it comes with preset mods for your car , but to make a change is usually about 120 credits – that works out about £1

but the good thing is if you log into the app you get a free daily credit , so whether you are going to use it or not , just log in to obtain your free credit , they soon build up

OBD11 seems to be a little bit more refinfd than Carista and let’s you save the changes you have done and reverse it , incase you make an arse of things

both do more or less the same thing , one can do a few things the other can’t and vice versa

ive never had an issue with any of them or any time I’ve had the car back at the dealers , both can be used of family or friends cars too

so that’s why I went for both , relatively cheap and future proof as cars become more and more computerised 🙌🏻

#106877 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Cheers for that, well explained.

#106884 Reply
    Winston

Non probs mate 🙌🏻

it’s not very technical at all to operate , simple really

and def worth the 50 quid or so 😎

#106909 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Well fitting the Heko’s was a bit of a disaster lol – the front went in no real problem (ironic as it was harder to align with the corner but the mirrors do touch them, and touch them hard so it may need some modification to make it behave 100% although the mirror was happy to force its way into the folded position – probably not the best solution long-term. The rear one was “easier” to fit but the window wouldn’t close – tried pushing it in a little harder and repositioning the clips and managed to snap the edge off of the unit so now it’s useless.

I did take pics but at this time of the evening they were worse than useless so I’ll try the passenger side tomorrow when there’s a bit more light – if I can get the rear one in and secure with the window working, I may look into getting a rear only for the drivers side – probably have to go to HEKO direct but I’m sure as hell not paying another £40 for one – will see how it goes…

#106917 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Fitted 4 to my Alhambra but removed the rears as they put too much force on the window when fully up and didn’t have the same affect when driving with water ingress so off they came, as for the mirrors touching when folded, mine did exactly the same so I got a marker pen and marked where they touched, removed and drew a nice curve around that area then I just trimmed them down (either a junior hacksaw or dremmel type tool) and then I just sanded them back smooth so looking at them you wouldn’t know they weren’t like that from factory, refitted and the mirrors missed and they still worked just the same, took me 20 minutes a side.

#106920 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

Basically my plan to be honest. I’ve done computer case modifications for years so I have more tools than any sane man needs lol, including a Dremel clone and more bits than you can shake a stick at.

I just like the way the rear ones carry on the line of the front ones but I may just do without as I don’t expect it to be easy to get a single rear

#106923 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I still have the rear ones for the Alhambra, not sure if they would be the same size but you’re welcome to them mate.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
Reply To: Colin's own Tiguan Thread
Your information: