Colin's own Tiguan Thread

This topic contains 54 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #106385 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Thought I’d stick up a new thread to avoid re-re-re-re-hijacking the other Tiguan threads, and as a bonus, you can never have too many Tiguan threads, right?

Got my R-Line today, about 10 days after the original collection arrangement, no explanation but I got it so happy enough.  First two thoughts are a little on the negative side to be honest. The car FEELS a lot smaller than the Volvo despite only being slightly smaller mathematically but time and adjustments to seating etc. will no doubt have an effect on that – I pretty much got in the car and drove off without adjusting anything lol.
    The second is that there is a BIG difference in the level of “luxury feel” – there’s not a single thing about the Tiguan which I don’t like but coming from the Volvo there’s no denying it doesn’t feel as premium. Having said that, the Volvo had a list price close to £50k and the Tiguan a little over £30k so its absolutely understandable – there’s no way the Volvo is £15k more luxurious than the Tiguan, that much is for sure.

There was a little theatrics in the dealer, car all covered up and the guy asked if I wanted to pull off the sheet – wet blanket me said something along the lines of “If it was MINE I might be tempted but it’s a long term loan at the end of the day” lol

Every bit as good looking as expected once the sheet was off, don’t have loads of pics, just a quick one as I didn’t want to look an idiot running around the car with the phone…

I’m going to reply to this thread over the next day or so as I fit the extras I have bought – this way the other people thinking about what to buy or not buy can get a before and after of each item so they can make a more informed decision…

First impressions are positive, especially on the MPG front – the Volvo deliberately teased me on the way to the dealer, lighting up the E symbol which means you’re getting really good economy compared to recently, but the truth was it was still low 30’s. Bearing in mind I’ve done little more than drive home from the dealer and then a quick school run to pick up our 7-year-old, the Tiguan is already showing 37 and I’ve read in several places I can expect that to improve once the engine has a few hundred miles of running in done…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #106386 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Boot light upgrade – this is the only thing I’ve done so far and I wanted to do it tonight to get pics in the dark. At the same time it’s bloody freezing so the other stuff can wait till tomorrow or the next day when it’s only REALLY cold 😛

Pics don’t really do it justice as my phone went into special low-light mode, and made them both look better than they are, but there’s a definite improvement, both in brightness overall, and in colour, but that’s a personal preference – I like clean cool white as opposed to bright yellow on the interior.

Original halogen light bulb…

And new LED bulb…

Even in the pics, you can see the light travels further etc. but in person, there’s a definite improvement in my opinion…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#106388 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Colin it looks great it really does, it would be good to see some inside photos to show the wife.

Every time I right your name I’m tempted to follow it up with “all cars” lol.

Hope it serves you well.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#106390 Reply

Winston

Congrats on finally collecting the new car 👍🏻

just one I thing I picked up on at the start of your thread when you said the new car was just over £30k , yours without any options and the free paint is still worth over £37k rrp ( if u went for the DSG )  , so that’s a lot closer to 40 than 30 in my book lol, but I Too saw differences in finish quality/sow materials compared to my Audi but nothing major

but you’re right VW isn’t a luxury or premium brand , top of the middle I’d say though lol

anyways please don’t think I’m mentioning this for the sake of it, I’m just stating a fact because I like facts 🤓👍🏻

hope you enjoy it a bit better tomorrow 🤣

#106392 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Yes Winston your correct I would put it top of the middle. The xc60 guys have been ruined, I fear whatever car I get next I will be disappointed.

Having said that the Tiguan is a very good car and the tech in it makes my xc60 look as if it’s from a different era.

#106393 Reply

Winston

I was at my mums today for a bit and my younger brother popped round and he had a  brand new XC90 Hybrid thingy ( no idea what the model is ) but after sitting in it then sitting in mines I felt like I was sitting in his kids toy car that your feet stick out the bottom ( like the flint stones ) 🤣

when you put it into all full electric mode it’s a strange sensation alright , one I’m sure I’d get used to 😎

so I guess it’s all about levels and how you view and find a way to appreciate what you have in life ( not just cars lol )  🙌🏻

#106395 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

She looks absolutely amazing Colin. Congratulations.

Itd be great if you could add some links to the goodies your adding.

Dive safe and enjoy. 👍

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#106401 Reply

Debs
    Participant

Looks lovely Colin, looking forward to more pics and following the upgrades you have planned

#106405 Reply

Elly

Congratulations, looks great. May be my next car too!

#106406 Reply

Colin
    Participant

As requested, the LED bulbs I bought are here – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-White-Car-Bulbs-C5W-12-SMD-Error-Free-Lights-Festoon-LED-Interior-31-42mm/202665748695
    The 42mm long option – I personally bought 4 just because the price works out better but chances are I’ll never use them all so it might be a saving not worth making.

#106411 Reply

rox
    Participant

Kind of funny how  sometimes it’s always.. I dunno. A trade off.. No cars perfect. Looks good though

One thing for sure is you’ll deffo save on fuel. Compared to the volvo.. With acc you can drive further.. Great in traffic, once you know the perimeters, been awesome in my current golf.

I got 2 months to go till my next car.. Enjoy

#106413 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Looks like we have a host of female Tiguan fans here. What can we call them “The Tigets”, “The tigys” lol.

Joking apart the VFM is insane, when you break it down, especially if you don’t need an auto, £1745 – GCB – any discount you can get, and you have a great car for less than a grand, phenomenal.

#106416 Reply

Philjb

Welcome to the brotherhood Colin the new car looks great.

Isn’t it amazing a nearly 40k car and they skimp on an LED boot light?

#106417 Reply

Philjb

As I said before Bri if i had the choice of the new xc60 or a top spec Tiguan the Volvo would win for me, I must be old. lol

#106419 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Not at all Phil I think everything in life is down to choice and opinion, I would do the same. Comparing these two cars is not comparing like with like, it’s like comparing the Tiguan to one of the new MG’s., they are in different classes.

#106420 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Thanks Colin. 👍 They do look good. 💡

Brydo, my shout for a name is the Tiguana’s 🤣😂

Oh and isn’t it just plain cruel to be showing this ad on this site? 😮😂

#106423 Reply

Winston

Let’s just hope it’s not a couple of blokes who pretend to ladies online 🙈🤣

#106424 Reply

Winston

Be*

#106425 Reply

Elly

I’m happy to be a Tiguana … and I promise I’m not a bloke!! 😳

#106430 Reply

joss
    Participant

Nice motor Colin. Wheels look abit like mine on the BMW X2. I have to say I do like the white. Thought I would never say that but it looks great on SUV’s. Enjoy the new toy Colin

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#106435 Reply

Colin
    Participant

I think that in all of my years of driving, and I’ve driven a LOT lol, at one point I was a delivery driver doing over 200 a day in the van and was hitting about 18k a year in my personal car, so probably 80k a year, the hardest thing I think I’ve EVER had to do is NOT brake when using the new auto cruise control. Sitting there with my foot hovering over the brake, thinking “Cmon car, BLOODY SLOW DOWN” and then it does a quarter second before I would have given up and hit the brake lol

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Colin.

#106437 Reply

Anneka

Your wait is over hope your enjoying it and the bulbs to the boot definitely make a big difference think I’ll be copying u there lol

#106438 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Next minor upgrade – the centre console tray – bought this one for £13.99 on Amazon at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NRP6WDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The storage compartment between the seats is pretty deep, no unusably so but it’s big enough that, over time, you could definitely put enough stuff in there that it’d end up being hard to find stuff – this tray adapter will allow you to hide the less-used stuff underneath as there’s still room, and gives you some useful high level spaces for coins and other regularly used items.

Standard compartment…

And with the tray in place…

This is definitely a recommended item for me, I’m a clutter bug and the Volvo had a similar centre cubby which I massively overfilled with stuff and then I could never find anything when I wanted it so, yup, definitely a good one, especially for me…

#106439 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Oh someone on another thread asked about the seat edge height at its highest setting, I’m going to find that post and add to it BUT I’m running out the door so don’t have time right now, here’s the answer for anyone who cares lol

Just under 40 cm or just over 15 inches depending on your preference of scale 😛

#106449 Reply

rox
    Participant

very Nice, wish i’d had one of those in the golf… make use of that space that useless and most of the time small stuffs in the cup holder bit as only real place to put it.

#106554 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I love the tray. I tried to get one for my X1 a while back but found only one and the finish in the pics was appalling.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
Reply To: Colin's own Tiguan Thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: