Bmw i4

• Creator
    Topic
    yasir247
    Participant

Hi everyone

I hope someone on here can help please.

I am due to collect my Bmw i4 on 20th may. I have purchased the bmw i4 m50 alloys am i okay to put them on the car? Also when I return the car does it have to go back on the original wheels? Or could i sell them as i dont mind giving the car back on the bmw i4 m50 wheels. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      72 dudes
      Participant

You have two choices as I see it.

Say nothing, swap them back when you return the car and hope that you never have occasion to claim on the insurance. There’s a considerable risk involved in this as it’s likely that any claim may be turned down as the car is not standard. You’re leaving yourself open to a huge financial burden if anything goes wrong.

The other way is to notify Motability and Direct Line that you intend to swap over to the M50 alloys which are one or two? inches bigger carrying wider lower profile tyres.

They may say you are not allowed to do this on a lease car which you don’t own. This is not just a cosmetic upgrade like say tinted windows but a more fundamental change.

My advice? Stick with the standard wheels and tyres and sell the M50 wheels.

Second option is to be open and honest and see if MB and DL will allow it.

I don’t recommend the keeping quiet and taking a risk option.

Others may disagree!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by 72 dudes.

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
        2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
        2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

JohnK
        Participant

You would be invalidating your insurance I wouldn’t risk putting them on.

kezo
          Participant

Aren’t the wheels bigger on the M50 than the 35 and does the PCD offset match?

That said, I would follow the advice given ans contact Motability/DLM prior to fitting them.

If they are the identical spec’s to the current ones, you may have a better outcome.

AKX
            Participant

@Yasir247

Speaking from experience in modifying and handing back over, I had a rear diffuser, front grill etc. changed previously and kept all original parts to go back to how it was, so without informing motability you can take off all 4 wheels and put on your M50 ones as long as when you return it, you put the original wheels back on. Just keep in mind you’ll lose some range with 20″ wheels and if you get a flat tire or any tire or alloy issues it won’t be processed through motability you’ll have to fix it yourself.

The spec that you picked up the vehicle from dealer is exactly how it should be returned, so yes you can modify the car but just be aware that in 3 years it’ll have to return back to its original state, apart from tints, motability approve of rear tints.

72 dudes
              Participant

@Yasir247 Speaking from experience in modifying and handing back over, I had a rear diffuser, front grill etc. changed previously and kept all original parts to go back to how it was, so without informing motability you can take off all 4 wheels and put on your M50 ones as long as when you return it, you put the original wheels back on. Just keep in mind you’ll lose some range with 20″ wheels and if you get a flat tire or any tire or alloy issues it won’t be processed through motability you’ll have to fix it yourself. The spec that you picked up the vehicle from dealer is exactly how it should be returned, so yes you can modify the car but just be aware that in 3 years it’ll have to return back to its original state, apart from tints, motability approve of rear tints.

But by not informing Motability and Direct Line, your insurance will be invalidated.

So put the wheels on and just never drive it 🤦

AKX
                Participant

@72dudes Yes the reality is it will be invalidated which will lead to termination on the scheme, the only way around it is to put them on and ensure that you never claim any accidents on the insurance whether it’s your fault or not, and replacing them when returning the vehicle. Most people won’t take the risk but it’s up to him.

Slimtrim
                  Participant

Here is the thing, back in 2013, I had a BMW 316i on Motability which came with an 18″ wheels. I swapped them out for a 20″ wide fitting wheels and also had the rear windows tinted.

In that period I had a rear quarter damage, punctures, theft etc….. all repairs went through Motability without any questions asked nor was the insurance invalidated.

Also handed the vehicle back with the modifications and still received the GCB.

72 dudes
                    Participant

Here is the thing, back in 2013, I had a BMW 316i on Motability which came with an 18″ wheels. I swapped them out for a 20″ wide fitting wheels and also had the rear windows tinted. In that period I had a rear quarter damage, punctures, theft etc….. all repairs went through Motability without any questions asked nor was the insurance invalidated. Also handed the vehicle back with the modifications and still received the GCB.

I don’t doubt it Slimtrim. You may have been lucky.

I think the rules are more strictly adhered to these days. Is the OP feeling lucky?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by 72 dudes.
                      • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by 72 dudes.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.