Bang for your buck

This topic contains 62 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Speedy James 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104171 Reply

Speedy James

Car change due in August so I may ask again next quarter but requirements are:

Small/medium SUV or slightly raised height

Flat as possible load area for wheelchair (maybe with small hoist)

Petrol  (probably)

Automatic gearbox essential

Electric leather seats (so can adjust easily and slide in)

Interested in ideas and particularly biggest bang for buck.  Will do circa 15,000 miles a year including city so reluctant to go diesel. Interested in electric but sadly seems a way off and need a real range of 200 miles. May have to come off the scheme  and wait. Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104216 Reply

Macca
    Participant

I don’t think compromise is a bad thing. We’ve got something of a loose wishlist for the next car, but we’ve realised after checking out so many cars that realistically we’ll likely get some of what we want in a car that is right for us, and we’ll compromise on the rest

#104218 Reply

Speedy James

Thanks Macca. I agree. From these discussions I’ll certainly try:

Tiguan (of course!)

Tucson

New Ford Kuga

BMW X1

and probably look at Citroen, Volvo and Mazda too.

Hardly a small list and cost for electric seats will probably knock a few of the list quickly.

#104222 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

At 15k miles a year you really need to be looking at diesel, of course electric would be the ideal but I don’t think there is anything that meets your needs in that department on the scheme right now.

#104240 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

Just to add Partridge Hampshire mini are also offering £500 off AP across the range

#104241 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

Kia Niro Hybrid is getting great reviews and is something worth considering imo

#104246 Reply

Dante

Not forgetting the Skoda Karoq (which I have and great but it was the AP / dealer discount at the time that sealed the deal 09/18)

and the SEAT Aleta or Tarraco

and I’ve test driven all the cars  already mentioned & for me / my personal choice would be if I was getting / changing a car now – I would go for the MG HS in exclusive trim auto (personal choice not asking for people who don’t like to comment either – I’m well aware lots of MG haters but to each their own 🙂

sexind would be the new Kuga or the Tiguan

my I so wish Audi would put the Q3 back on the scheme

have a good day one and all

#104259 Reply

Speedy James

Thanks for the extra ideas.

Has anyone been to see or drive the new Mazda CX30 yet? I know from this forum the CX5 is well loved.

#104267 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but i just think they got the proportions of black plastic very wrong on that car.

#104268 Reply

Philjb

I’ve seen it and it’s a cracking looking car, but it’s too small for me sadly.
    I like mazdas ever since I had a new mx5 several years ago

#104342 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

Bang for your buck – was my mantra and the winner…. X-Trail Teckna.

Electric (leather) seats, heated seats/steering wheel, pano s/r, 360 camera and the list goes on and on. Yes the dash is dated but as others have said, you have to compromise. It’s our 2nd consecutive car on the scheme, need I say more.

Good luck with whatever you choose Speedy 🙂

#104345 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

HammerHead, that’s a great choice. The Tekna is high up on my list for change in Sept and the electric seats pushed it up there. All others on my list want up near a £thousand or over for them and this time I’m struggling so hard to justify the spend. Without them entry/exit is agony to impossible.

Do you have it yet? I’d be really interested to see some pics and a review of how you’re getting on with it. 👍👍

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#104346 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Golf SV if it is still being made then.

#104355 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

One of the things that I really appreciate is the leather seats and the height as getting in and out is noticeably easier than with cloth. 1st leg in, slide and spin – a lot easier 🙂

Here are a few pics… not very sunny today 🙁

As for a (brief) review, this is my 2nd X-Trail, manual this time as the CVT box is awful!

This is the 7 seat 4WD version so I lost the Bose sound system but the grand kids love the back seats.

Driving/parking is easy thanks to responsive controls and 360 camera plus sensors.  Blind spot monitoring is good, as is emergency braking, traffic sign recognition, lane departure etc…

Seats are comfortable and access (especially passenger) is excellent. Electric adjust on both front as well as all seats (except Grand kids) heated along with the steering wheel.

To top it off, hands free boot opening, pano sunroof with blind and ‘intelligent’ 4WD. You may just be able to see a nextbase duo cam and echo dot auto 😉

All in all, very happy with it (best mpg so far – 1.7 diesel – 47 mpg) roomy, stylish (outside) and practical.

Anything specific, just ask 🙂

#104356 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

#104357 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

#104358 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

#104359 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

#104361 Reply

Speedy James

Thanks for update. I was discounting the xtrail because of the CVT gearbox and I cannot drive manual.

Sounds like a wise move.

#104366 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Looks great Hammer Head, is that a personalised number plate lol.

I think white is a great colour for big cars, the leather seats look good are they comfortable?

Never seen your compass built into the drive way what was the thinking behind that?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#104374 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

Hey Brydo,

Storm white (Pearlescent at no extra cost), the seats are comfortable, the compass is simply an optional feature and yes it is oriented correctly (before you ask) – 😉

#104380 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Looks like a nice estate as well 👍

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#104406 Reply

Landyman

Looks really good hammerhead.
    Never thought about a x trail because of the cvt box but a manual might be a option.

#104408 Reply

Georgie

I like your drive and I like your drive. 😀

Interior looks very classy.

#104459 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Hi HammerHead,

Thank you for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it. She looks amazing, especially in that colour. Great pics.
    I love your comments about the seats. I’ll need to sit in one for 20 mins to know if they’ll suit as I’m a bit odd. I think I’m one of the only people who loves the X1’s std seats.
    And the spec bits that you quote are just perfect.
    One thing you have said that scares me is regarding the auto. What’s wrong with them? I actually need an auto.

The X1’s ‘box is sublime. My wife has a GLA and that is terrible. It crashes around.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#104461 Reply

HammerHead
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

CVT box’es are ‘continuous variable transmission’ as averse to dual clutch variants and the most noticeable difference between the 2 are lag or delay.

Imagine you are at a roundabout in fairly heavy traffic and a gap appears and you think ‘i can get in that – just’. You put your foot down, the engine howls and you don’t move. After a second, the car jumps forward BUT that gap that was safe is now downgraded to buttock clenching.

Believe me, I have been there on more than one occasion. Never again.

The other auto box’es do not suffer from this anywhere near as bad.

Try a google search on….

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) …
    Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT) …
    DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) …

for a full technical breakdown.

Good luck with whatever you choose mate 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
Reply To: Bang for your buck

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: