Bang for your buck

This topic contains 62 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Speedy James 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104171 Reply

Speedy James

Car change due in August so I may ask again next quarter but requirements are:

Small/medium SUV or slightly raised height

Flat as possible load area for wheelchair (maybe with small hoist)

Petrol  (probably)

Automatic gearbox essential

Electric leather seats (so can adjust easily and slide in)

Interested in ideas and particularly biggest bang for buck.  Will do circa 15,000 miles a year including city so reluctant to go diesel. Interested in electric but sadly seems a way off and need a real range of 200 miles. May have to come off the scheme  and wait. Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104177 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Same here James. I change beginning of September.

I’ve started a list and I also need electric seats to aid entry/exit.

I could write for hours on this but to keep it trim:

Elec seats as standard is only found on an XTrail Tekna and Mitsubishi Outlander Exceed as far as I’ve discovered so far.
    BMW for X1 want £1,000,

VW for Tiguan want £1,430.

SKODA for the Kodiaq want £575 but it’s only the drivers seat.

The X1 XLine has leather

No Tiguan has it as standard (I’ll accept to be corrected)

Hope this helps. We’ll be picking up at almost the same time 😃

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#104178 Reply

Speedy James

Have to say X1 looking like a strong contender. Yet to do a price comparison with X trail but looks very big.

Had thought about Seat Alteca but unsure it will be as good value once electric leather seats are added.

#104179 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Tucson has both driver and passenger electric seats in Premium and Premium SE Specs

#104180 Reply

Speedy James

Interesting about Tucson. Like Ford Kugs I thought it was diesel only will check.  Thanks.

Also wondering about new Maxda CX30. If only you could search the Motability site via features.

#104181 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Its leather too in the Tucson top two specs :

https://mobile.hyundai.co.uk/brochure-request/download#

#104182 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Obviously your choice at the end of the day but expecting to do 15k per year isn’t what I’d call a reason to avoid diesel… I know people are talking about renaming this forum WhichMotabilityTiguan lol but when it comes to bang for buck, I think it’s hard to touch the R-Line so many of us are ordering, especially with the deals being offered around the country…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104183 Reply

Speedy James

Colin. Completely agree. My fear is if 2 years into the lease diesels are banned from city centres- which I  need to access for work, will I be allowed to change early due to need????

#104184 Reply

mitch
    Participant

juke tekna+ but boot may be too small but its bigger than the old model.

likewise mini countryman with the comfort/nav+ pack,leather is standard in the exclusive trim. both have adjustable boot floor have a board that makes it flat with storage beneath.

stratstone mini chesterfield have £500 off the ap.

#104186 Reply

Macca
    Participant

The Tucson is available in a 1.6 petrol turbo. Some complain about fuel consumption but average seems to be about 35mpg which for that size of car is fair I suppose

#104187 Reply

Colin
    Participant

If the vehicle is no longer suitable, Motability are usually pretty good about early changes, on top of which I’m sure I’ve seen exemptions to the rules for Disabled badge holders left, right and centre. On top of that, I wouldn’t be too surprised if the restrictions slowed down as the country reacts and adapts to non-EU membership so less rules forced on us too, although I know the UK govt may well implement similar rules

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104189 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

James at that type of mileage diesel is preferable especially if you are looking for bang for your buck.

If you can get the £500 discount on a Tiguan and a good condition bonus of £600 spending another £1400 on electric seats might look a bit more achievable.

The Tiguan is the stand out SUV on the scheme with regard to bang for your buck and it’s a very good car and I haven’t even mentioned the tech.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#104190 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

And you will be able to get into cities with diesel if you have a blue badge so don’t worry

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#104191 Reply

Philjb

Yep all diesels on the scheme are euro 6.2 compliant so are allowed in low emission zones and congestion charge zones for free.

The other thing going for the Tiguan is it feels just like a golf to drive and will do 550-600 + miles to a tank for the 2.0 tdi Auto.

#104192 Reply

Speedy James

Interesting to hear about blue badge exemptions.

Just looked at Hyundai Tucson and ser it’s now diesel hybrid so I guess more city friendly too.

Around 50 mpg £3200 AP but it looks like leather electric seats included. Am I right to think new version on the way though?

Also I have to ask how the Tiguan spec and prices compares and why many consider it better? Is there a new one soon too?

#104193 Reply

Macca
    Participant

A 2021 Tucson is on the way, and is expected to preview later this year.

I was surprised that Tucson AP’s went up for Q1 but fully expect them to drop as the quarters go by and Hyundai want to clear stocks. Still a good motor, and is probably my second choice at the minute.

#104194 Reply

Macca
    Participant

The Tiguan is pretty loaded with kit, and there are good AP discounts to be had at the moment. I was disappointed to find that electric leather is a £1400 option. But that aside, my wife didn’t fit in the seat due the seat squab being too long so we couldn’t consider it anyway

#104195 Reply

Speedy James

So unless you can get the top of the range Tiguan for about £1600 plus £1400 for leather electric I guess Macca you are suggesting Tucson is a better deal. Especially if price goes down due to old model.

Looking like a  strong contender but then a shame to get an old model.

Perhaps one step forward.  One back. Helpful comments though thanks everyone

#104196 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Well I think a car is more than just the money aspect, it has to be ‘right’ for you as you’ll ideally live with it for 3 to 5 years. Go check em out, plus any others that take your fancy and you’ll find you’ll whittle em down as you go.

So far we’ve discounted Mazda CX5, BMW X1, BMW Active Tourer, VW Tiguan, Seat Ateca, Nissan XTrail, Nissan Qashqai, Honda CRV, Citroen C5 Aircross, and DS7

Plus Mrs Mac has discounted the Kia Sportage, Skoda Kodiaq, Skoda Karoq, and Toyota Rav4 for being “too fugly” 🤨

All good cars in my eyes but dropped off the list for one reason or another.

We’re looking at XC40 or Tucson at the minute.

New Kuga will be around soon so that may be of interest to you.

As for old model / new model depends if that sort of thing bothers you or not. Run out models can be bargains, look at how Ford pulled the price down on the outgoing Kuga to clear stocks, that didn’t make it a bad car. Too small for us otherwise I may have had a closer look at one

#104197 Reply

Colin
    Participant

The potential problem with waiting for the new versions of models is that new usually means more money AND less likely to be on the scheme immediately.  Look at the Skoda Superb for example, much less choice now than with the last model. It was top of my list this time around after coming a very close second last time, but the smaller, petrol only engine choices, plus the standard trim levels didn’t come close to the toys in the Tiguan.  I have to admit a part of me wanting the Superb was wanting to deny my disability and that I could still get in and out of a lower car but after a couple trips in my sons Seat Ibiza, I had to admit that, while I COULD get in and out, it wasn’t anywhere near as easy as getting in and out of an SUV.

#104199 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Well said Colin, plus I guess there are always the new model gremlins to be ironed out in the early months following release too.

#104203 Reply

Speedy James

Wise words both. Thanks

#104204 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

You could try a Kia Niro for size, either the PHEV (smaller boot due to 2nd lithium battery), or either the “3” or the “4”, all these have leather seats, all are petrol hybrids. MPG mid-high 50s.

#104208 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The Nero’s boot is tiny!

#104209 Reply

Philjb

That’s the problem we face sometimes there isn’t a suitable vehicle for everyone.
    I only need to take a short journey in my kids sporty cars and I need a day or two for my body to recover. Something I never thought I would ever even have to think about.
    When you have a degenerative condition or are not the average size or body shape.
    So for me my car is still a compromise but so would any car regardless of budget.

#104215 Reply

Speedy James

Thanks for all the ideas. I haven’t given up hope that something electric that works well may still arrive soon. At the end of day a compromise will have to be made but hopefully I can make a better informed choice due to this forum. Motability may have niggles but still offers a  lot of choice.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
Reply To: Bang for your buck

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: