Advanced Payment and Extras Payment Method

• Creator
    Topic
    christos
    Participant

Hello friends

I’m picking up our new car (BMW 225xe) next week and the dealer wants all the money paid by bank transfer. It would really help me if I could pay partly by credit card for cashflow reasons. Do you think i can push back or is bank transfer the only usual method of payment?

thanks in advance for any ideas!

Christos

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JMC
      Participant

It shouldn’t matter to them how they get their money. Surely as you are the customer, you should be able to pay the AP how you wish! Not everyone has £4-5k in their account. I certainly haven’t 😆. I don’t know the answer but I would expect them to adhere to you!

BillyTang
        Spectator

Hello friends I’m picking up our new car (BMW 225xe) next week and the dealer wants all the money paid by bank transfer. It would really help me if I could pay partly by credit card for cashflow reasons. Do you think i can push back or is bank transfer the only usual method of payment? thanks in advance for any ideas! Christos

Just explain you are happy to pay x by transfer and y on credit card

wmcforum
          Which Mobility Car

The dealership will be charged for taking monies on the credit card. Probably around 5% (could be more). So for every £1000 it will cost the dealership £50. As the AP’s have increased less dealerships offer the option to pay by credit card. It could be worth offering to pay these credit card fees to see if they will allow you to pay by this method.

swwchris
            Participant

Hello friends I’m picking up our new car (BMW 225xe) next week and the dealer wants all the money paid by bank transfer. It would really help me if I could pay partly by credit card for cashflow reasons. Do you think i can push back or is bank transfer the only usual method of payment? thanks in advance for any ideas! Christos

Just explain you are happy to pay x by transfer and y on credit card

Most dealerships / car sales have a restriction on the amount which can be paid by credit card, some charge a percentage on top and some will not allow credit card payments at all. You are asking in the wrong place really, I would say phone them and ask the question but they are not obliged to take credit card payments (if you dont have the money you may have to either take a cash advance with the card or postpone pick up until you do).

christos
              Participant

Thank you all for the kind advice, I appreciate it! I can always ask the dealer and see what they say…

BIYT
                Participant

A couple of things to consider, payment via bacs does not give you any protections as paying by credit card does. The overriding thing with the motability system is there is no contract until the moment you enter the pin number. We are free to cancel at anytime until then.

Also why are people paying down payments on Motorbility cars?

Had 4 now, never payed a penny until pick up day and always used credit cards to pay the AP/add on’s.

The costs involved in various payment methods are a matter for the dealership and their bank, nowt to do with us.

We seem to be being dragged into the spiral of handing over money, which could be lost, if circumstances change and not forgetting the folks who negotiate the terms do it with us in mind, not the car industry.

After all do you really trust a profession that cheated hundreds of thousands of people. However I digress.

My two peneth

solent60
                  Participant

Likewise, I’ve never had to pay in advance for any of my cars… and I will have been on the scheme 30-years next year. Even when I have paid a considerable AP, I’ve never paid until day of collection.

My very first car on the scheme was a Vauxhall Tigra back in the day (1995) and had an AP of £1,600. Believe it or not, I counted out the AP of £1,600 in cash on the day & plonked it on the dealer’s desk for him to check!

How times have changed.

Glos Guy
                    Participant

Whilst I’ve never paid the AP until the day of collection, I have been unable to pay by credit card for some years (I’ve asked in order to try to get loyalty points!). Presumably (as wmcforum says) this is due to charges that the dealership would incur, whereas debit card or BACS payments don’t have fees.

kezo
                      Participant

You could have a credit card cash transfer into your bank, which works similar to a balance transfer 0% over 12 months or more 2.5% fee on the amount for example!

christos
                        Participant

thank you all for the excellent suggestions, much appreciated!

onelegleft
                          Participant

Absolutely.  Picking my 8th Motability car tomorrow and I’ve never paid a penny in advance.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.