VW Tiguan Elegance ordered!

• This topic has 20 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by John Morris.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #147303 Reply
    eleanorsvoice
    Participant

Finally bitten the bullet and we have gone for the following to replace our 66 plate Audi Q3 :

VW Tiguan Estate 2.0 TSI 4Motion Elegance 5DR DSG
    Exterior: Dolphin Grey Metallic (metallic paint free with Motability)
    Interior: Storm Grey-Titanium Black

Extras added…
    • Winter pack including heated outer rear seats
    • Driver Assistance pack plus
    • Tyre pressure monitoring system

Extras considered…
    Area view including rear view camera
    Space and weight saving spare wheel

14 to 16 weeks wait now!

Any tips / input from existing Tiguan owners appreciated!

The VW ticked all the boxes as far as we were concerned, being the closest we could get to our Q3, with a fairly reasonable AP. Two of the most important features for us were the panoramic and the 4WD (although appreciate 4Motion isn’t a permanent 4wd). Something similar in size to the SUV we already have was a good start too.

Having test driven the following beforehand…
    Volvo XC40 – AP too pricey, even before extras. Nice dealer but staff movements meant difficult communications, almost had to explain our whole situation again!
    Kia Sportage – Easily ticked ALL the boxes but cheap feeling car compared to what we have and unfriendly/unhelpful dealer. They almost had a deal before the Petrol Tiguan popped up on the scheme.
    Honda CRV – Didn’t like it. Dealer uninterested.

I think dealer relations speak volumes, the first VW dealer we approached were let’s say, completely disinterested in supplying us with any information whatsoever and literally ignored emails. The second VW dealer we approached couldn’t have been more helpful and accommodating – so we ordered it there and then!

Motability cars owned...
    01. 66 Plate - Audi Q3 S line Plus 2.0 TDI quattro 184 PS S tronic
    02. ???

Please feel free to search social media for #eleanorsvoice or visit www.eleanorsvoice.com - to help us raise awareness & to follow our daughter's journey, nothing more!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #147314 Reply
    Mike

Excellent choice – such a lot of car for the AP.

#147322 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Congratulations! A lot of car for the money. You will find the interior space to be a lot bigger than the Q3. The Tiguan is almost Tardis like! I think you’ve made a wise choice re colours. We have a grey Tiguan SEL (forerunner to Elegance) with Storm Grey interior (albeit leather). We chose grey exterior as the grey plastic trim around the side sills cheapens the look of the car IMO and makes it look a bit ‘entry level’, whereas with grey exterior paint they blend perfectly and become invisible. The Storm Grey two tone trim really lifts the interior and  makes it feel bigger. It’s also far less oppressive and bland compared to the all black interior and looks more upmarket as a result.

Re the 4WD, it’s actually very good. When we had quite a covering of snow a few years ago I had to go to work and the car park was causing people major problems. Lots of cars stuck and sliding around. I popped the variable selector into ‘snow’ mode and it didn’t miss a beat. Very sure footed. Also, on icy and snow covered roads I maintained full traction. I hadn’t expected it to be as good as it was.

You get a rear view camera as standard. It’s not great definition but is OK. It gets covered in muck in no time at all and I didn’t know until very recently that if you wash your rear screen when reversing it also washes the camera lens. The tyre pressure monitoring is a bit of a pain as you get warnings regularly in very cold weather (tyre pressures fall when very cold, so it’s not a problem). We wanted a change from the Tiguan so have ordered a BMW X1 but if we had ordered another Tiguan we would have opted for the space saver spare wheel as it raises the boot floor to the flush level we have now. Without it the boot floor is recessed quite deeply which would have been a pain loading and unloading my wife’s wheelchair.

Final tip with VW dealers, which I have learned the hard way. Make sure you get an order tracker number. Until you get one there’s a good chance that your dealer hasn’t ordered the car and is awaiting build slot allocations. Once you have it you can check progress online. We waited 5 months for ours and that was pre-pandemic, so patience is a virtue! Enjoy the car.

#147334 Reply
    Des

Great choice and it would have been my choice if I had not electric.

#147342 Reply
    kbfern

I ordered our new Tiguan 1.5 TSI DSG Elegance end of March to replace our current Tiguan 2.0 Diesel DSG SEL. I have ordered it in Moonstone grey with storm grey and have seen this combo and it looks very nice.

I did want a different colour something bright and cheerful but the colour choice on the Tiguan range is very limited.I have ordered no extras as I did not fancy anything that was going to cost any extra as the Elegance it pretty much fully loaded anyway. It has a few extras over the SEL we have now like electric boot opening and rear camera and heated steering wheel which are great options for free.

I have had no issues with the current car and whilst true drivers might find it a bit uninspiring, for me it is comfortable and has more than enough get up and go if required.

I have the works order number and about 2 weeks after ordering checked on the ap and it had moved to order at works, the next stage is a build week but that could be a few weeks before it moves to that stage.

We were told early July for delivery but I somehow doubt it will be that quick as all car companies seem to be late, with chip supply being the reason.

#147343 Reply
    Simon

My dealer told me last week there is 30+ Tiguans available to dealers. They are already built and in the UK  and I could get one within 7-10days.

#147345 Reply
    kbfern

That’s interesting I wonder what models they are and what colours.

#147346 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

That’s interesting I wonder what models they are and what colours.

That’s the issue with ‘in stock’ cars of course. If they have the exact model that you want in the exterior and interior colour combination of your choice then that’s great, but all too often they either don’t have options that you might want or have factory options fitted that you don’t want, but still have to pay for! Handy to have the option though, especially if you have some flexibility over colours and equipment and/or don’t want to wait for a factory order.

#147471 Reply
    eleanorsvoice
    Participant

Excellent choice – such a lot of car for the AP.

Thanks Mike, it was you and another member from my Sportage thread, that guided me in the right direction on this one! So glad I found this forum!

Tiguan elegance. Has panoramic roof , digital dash, electric tail gate , dsg as standard.

Motability cars owned...
    02. ???

Please feel free to search social media for #eleanorsvoice or visit www.eleanorsvoice.com - to help us raise awareness & to follow our daughter's journey, nothing more!

#147472 Reply
    eleanorsvoice
    Participant

Congratulations! A lot of car for the money. You will find the interior space to be a lot bigger than the Q3. The Tiguan is almost Tardis like! I think you’ve made a wise choice re colours. We have a grey Tiguan SEL (forerunner to Elegance) with Storm Grey interior (albeit leather). We chose grey exterior as the grey plastic trim around the side sills cheapens the look of the car IMO and makes it look a bit ‘entry level’, whereas with grey exterior paint they blend perfectly and become invisible. The Storm Grey two tone trim really lifts the interior and makes it feel bigger. It’s also far less oppressive and bland compared to the all black interior and looks more upmarket as a result. Re the 4WD, it’s actually very good. When we had quite a covering of snow a few years ago I had to go to work and the car park was causing people major problems. Lots of cars stuck and sliding around. I popped the variable selector into ‘snow’ mode and it didn’t miss a beat. Very sure footed. Also, on icy and snow covered roads I maintained full traction. I hadn’t expected it to be as good as it was. You get a rear view camera as standard. It’s not great definition but is OK. It gets covered in muck in no time at all and I didn’t know until very recently that if you wash your rear screen when reversing it also washes the camera lens. The tyre pressure monitoring is a bit of a pain as you get warnings regularly in very cold weather (tyre pressures fall when very cold, so it’s not a problem). We wanted a change from the Tiguan so have ordered a BMW X1 but if we had ordered another Tiguan we would have opted for the space saver spare wheel as it raises the boot floor to the flush level we have now. Without it the boot floor is recessed quite deeply which would have been a pain loading and unloading my wife’s wheelchair. Final tip with VW dealers, which I have learned the hard way. Make sure you get an order tracker number. Until you get one there’s a good chance that your dealer hasn’t ordered the car and is awaiting build slot allocations. Once you have it you can check progress online. We waited 5 months for ours and that was pre-pandemic, so patience is a virtue! Enjoy the car.

Thanks for such an amazing response GlosGuy, really appreciated.

Noted on your points about the Tyre pressure monitor; I guess I figured with the extra boot space that not having a spare gave us, the Tyre pressure monitors would be a safe bet, we have a KwikFit around the corner from us and had occasion to visit them a couple of times with the Q3 (the first time they replaced a bad tyre with another make/different tread, which is a big no no on a 4WD – one to watch out for). I’ll also make sure to carry one of those cans of tyreweld  too! Thankfully no issue with loading unloading a wheelchair, I can totally understand how you wouldn’t want to be lifting that in and out everyday, sliding it out at level is much easier. I guess if we find the boot to ‘deep’ for whatever we use it for we could always pay to have a space saver afterwards… in fact that’s something I’ll check with the dealer!

I got the order tracker number today… again thank you, had no idea about this.

We are very happy with the Q3 which we’ve had for way over the initial 3 years now, in fact I think it might hit 5 years by this October… all due to being messed about with cars that were initially available and then not, then the pandemic! So being patient is no issue!

Enjoy your X1 – I hope the change is welcome!

Motability cars owned...
    02. ???

#147474 Reply
    eleanorsvoice
    Participant

I ordered our new Tiguan 1.5 TSI DSG Elegance end of March to replace our current Tiguan 2.0 Diesel DSG SEL. I have ordered it in Moonstone grey with storm grey and have seen this combo and it looks very nice. I did want a different colour something bright and cheerful but the colour choice on the Tiguan range is very limited.I have ordered no extras as I did not fancy anything that was going to cost any extra as the Elegance it pretty much fully loaded anyway. It has a few extras over the SEL we have now like electric boot opening and rear camera and heated steering wheel which are great options for free. I have had no issues with the current car and whilst true drivers might find it a bit uninspiring, for me it is comfortable and has more than enough get up and go if required. I have the works order number and about 2 weeks after ordering checked on the ap and it had moved to order at works, the next stage is a build week but that could be a few weeks before it moves to that stage. We were told early July for delivery but I somehow doubt it will be that quick as all car companies seem to be late, with chip supply being the reason.

Thanks kbfern

I might be mistaken but our VW dealer told me the lead time on the 1.5 was a lot longer than the 2.0, although I think we are looking at 14 to 16 weeks wait, so it kind of tallies with your wait time.

For us the Panoramic is the killer feature as our daughter requires as much light as possible, the contrasting interior will also hopefully help her too… for example if she placed an object on a dark grey/black seat she may not see something is there to pick it up again, but if placed on a lighter background she may see it – makes all the difference, and the car is for her after all.

Didn’t even realise it has a heated steering wheel! I look forward to that.

Agree on the colours, again the darker colour choice is a must for us so our daughter can pin point which direction to be walking in when headed to the car unaided.

Motability cars owned...
    02. ???

#160915 Reply
    eleanorsvoice
    Participant

We took delivery on the 27th July and by all accounts are very lucky to have done so with the Tiguan having recently been moved off of the scheme (I hope it comes back soon for those that were considering it).

Very very happy… it has lived up to its expectations and more! Now just to find something to protect the seats as my partner and I usually wear blue jeans and I fear this will rub off on to the cream seat colour!

Motability cars owned...
    02. ???

#160920 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi eleanor

I drive using one hand on a steering ball and my current car came with a heated steering wheel.

It’s an item I’ve never ever even given it a thought about but can honestly say its been a real plus for me on cold Winter days, more so than the heated seats though my none driving wife will disagree.

I can only use the wheel while driving in a straight line or slight corners but it keeps the end of my old finger tips toasty and think you too will find it very useful in the darker cold days.

Have fun with the car and one day I hope to join you in the Tiguan club too.

#160937 Reply
    Dougie Brimson

I’ve had a Tiguan 2.0 diesel R-Line for 18 months now and it’s a phenomenal vehicle.

#167437 Reply
    Donald Clark

Ordered a 2.0 litre petrol Elegance with some extras on May 3rd. Got a tracking number and a provisional build week which has now changed twice. No word of the build actually being confirmed. At least I have a dealers delivery date of 30th September, which commits then to producing the car one month after this date or I can cancel and get my deposit back. Nice to see VW disabling their tracking system. Very customer friendly.

#167438 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Donald

The VW tracking system is having a IT moment and nothing to do with keeping us in the dark, honest. 😁

My order for an R-Line Tiguan, the only one currently available to order on Motability apart from the Life trim, has gone on order today with a so say delivery of next May.

I’ve told them if the Elegance turns up on Q1 2022 or before a build date of the R-Line I will cancel my R-Line and reorder an Elegance as its better value for AP though of course the R-Line looks better but I don’t judge a car by it’s cover and prefer extra goodies over looks.

I’ve added the IQ lights as an extra but that comes as standard on the Elegance so a bit peeved about that but a worth while car any-ways.

On the lack of the Elegance model on Motability I was told by the VW Motability salesperson at my dealer last week its off because it has two more micro chips than the R-Line so sort of tells me they don’t want to waste the chips they do have on we disabled folk. 😁

#167446 Reply
    wadey1457
    Participant

my golf gtd order as moved that money times am fed up with it now.orded april dont think i will see this year why put the gtd and the tiguan back on the scheme when they carnt supply the cars .

#167470 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I wonder how long it will take for VW to upgrade the Tiguan R-Line to an R-Line Tech, given the kit that the current R-Line now lacks versus the Elegance? Pre-facelift, the R-Line Tech had everything that the SEL had, plus the styling tweaks. Now, in return for the styling tweaks you lose a few grands worth of kit. Makes no sense.

I can’t help but wonder if the sole reason that we can’t order the Elegance is more likely due to the fact that private and other fleet customers have shunned the R-Line in favour of the Elegance and we are being palmed off with the model that they are now struggling to sell?

#167472 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I can’t help but wonder if the sole reason that we can’t order the Elegance is more likely due to the fact that private and other fleet customers have shunned the R-Line in favour of the Elegance and we are being palmed off with the model that they are now struggling to sell?

There is that and considering the retail price differential for the Elegance and R-Line is only about £400 makes you wonder.

I think it may be a young man’s thing too as I’ve asked my grandsons to look at the specs for the Elegance and R-Line and what what they would choose if they were buying one and there answer is “R-Line without any doubt”.

I don’t get it, must be my age. 😀

#167473 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

There is that and considering the retail price differential for the Elegance and R-Line is only about £400 makes you wonder. I think it may be a young man’s thing too as I’ve asked my grandsons to look at the specs for the Elegance and R-Line and what what they would choose if they were buying one and there answer is “R-Line without any doubt”. I don’t get it, must be my age. 😀

Must be Chris 😂. We’ve had both an R-Line and an SEL (forerunner to the Elegance) and the R-Line has always been the winner for me as I really dislike the plastic side skirts on non R-Line models. I also really liked the alloys on the pre-facelift R-Line. However, I don’t like the new R-Line alloys anywhere near as much, nor the 1980’s retro check seats and the touch sensitive steering wheel controls have had poor user feedback. It could be that I am becoming an old f@rt but they do say that with age comes wisdom 😉

#167512 Reply
    John Morris

Exactly the same with our Ateca. Had to go for FR Sport because the plastic on the Experience looks cheap and nasty. And the only things we missed out on were safety stuff (no lidar/radar/ camera) and the electric boot but got an electric heated drivers seat and digital cockpit which the experience hasn’t got.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: VW Tiguan Elegance ordered!
Your information: