Tiguan 2.0 Elegance added

• Creator
    Topic
    George

I see the Tiguan 2.0 Tsi has been added to the scheme l still have time to cancel

my BMW X1 order and reorder the Tiguan should l ?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

I would, VW is a nicer more modern car if you ask me. And that is just my opinion nothing wrong with the beemer just getting on a bit and looks a little bland, that said the VW isnt really exciting to look at but i`d have it from the two choices.

----------------------------
        KIA Soul EV First Edition
        Scale modeller in my spare time

Speedy James

I would guess the VW offers more bang for your buck. Personal choice really as both similar.

George

Yes the Tiguan has the Sunroof, Reverse camera, Electronic dash, Adaptive cruiser control and a few other extras the BMW does not have.

trevor

Have a BMW X1 2.0D sport, great car to drive. The 8 speed auto box is the best on the market. Sips fuel rather than drinks it. Drove both before ordering, felt more connected in the BMW.

The choice is yours, peoples needs vary.

Dante2
              Participant

I test drove the Tiguan  1.5 dsg in life trim this week – it was a great drive, albeit a short 20 minutes.

even as the basic  trim, the fit & finish, quality & driving dynamics were great.
                I can only imagine how wonderful the 2.0 litre is to drive & the elegance trim  is comprehensive but alas the AP beyond my means (despite being very good value against the numerous £3/4k plus AP SUVs on the scheme).

kbfern

I ordered a Tiguan 1.5 DSG Elegance 3 weeks ago and whilst the 2.0 may have a bit more power I don’t think the lower mpg and extra £850 would temp me to change tbh.

Glad you liked the drive of the 1.5, I currently have a 2.0 Diesel DSG Tiguan SEL and have been very pleased with it.

Glos Guy
                  Participant

I see the Tiguan 2.0 Tsi has been added to the scheme l still have time to cancel my BMW X1 order and reorder the Tiguan should l ?

Hi George. Both are very good choices and it really boils down to what you want out of a car. I am very familiar with both cars and, in my opinion, the comparison between them (Tiguan Elegance 2.0i versus X1 xLine 20i is;

Tiguan scores over X1 – Quite a lot of extra equipment as standard (panoramic sunroof, keyless access, adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise, blind spot warning), 3” taller driving position, slightly more interior space, bigger boot capacity (floor area slightly bigger in X1 but Tiguan has more volume due to extra height).

X1 scores over Tiguan – Leather trim as standard, interior quality noticeably more premium, more car like handling, better auto (Tiguan has some lag), more refined engine, better mpg versus comparable Tiguan, iDrive ten times better than the dire Multimedia system VW uses, bigger fuel tank which with better mpg gives much better range.

In summary, if kit count and space are the most important factors, the Tiguan is the better bet (if leather isn’t needed). If a more driver orientated, refined and more premium feeling car that is also more fun to drive is preferred then it’s the X1. As I say, both are good choices so it boils down to which way you lean in these respects. Although the Tiguan has had a mild facelift, both cars are a bit dated now. An all new X1 is due next year and an all new Tiguan is probably a couple of years away.

George

Yes if the X1 had a sunroof, reverse camera, digital dash, adaptive cruise Etc there would be no contest.

Participant

That’s why I went to Toyota so much equipment even park assist standard

Glos Guy
                        Participant

Yes if the X1 had a sunroof, reverse camera, digital dash, adaptive cruise Etc there would be no contest.

George – Just a few thoughts on the equipment deficit of the X1. By way of background, we currently have a Tiguan 2.0 TDi 190PS 4Motion DSG SEL. When we ordered it in 2018 we looked at the X1 and discounted it due to the comparative lack of equipment versus the Tiguan, the poor (too small) front seats and the fact that it looked like a budget BMW inside compared to higher range models (I’ve had a dozen or so BMW’s over the years from 3 to 7 series so am very familiar with them).

The Tiguan is very well equipped but I find them incredibly dull cars to drive (we’ve had 4 of them, including an R-Line). Also, many of the features that the Tiguan has don’t work as well as the comparative BMW systems. Just three examples I would give are the Sat Nav & Multimedia system (I could write a post just on my frustrations with this system versus the class leading BMW iDrive), adaptive headlights (the VW setup is too slow to react versus the BMW version) and DSG gearbox, which has a tendency to have a very slight delay when you need quick power to overtake – a problem that you never have in the BMW autos. I have always driven BMW’s in Eco Pro mode and never found them lacking in power, so you get a perfect blend of performance and economy. In the Tiguan I have to leave it in the default standard mode as in Eco mode there is just too much lag.

We have just ordered a BMW X1 xDrive20i xLine to replace the Tiguan. The X1 had a facelift a year or so ago and as well as exterior styling improvements, a lot of its former shortcomings have been addressed. The front seats are a different shape now and slightly bigger (still very slightly smaller than the Tiguan though). The iDrive screen has been made bigger (also worth noting it is much higher up than the Tiguan screen, so easier to use and safer too). Cabin quality has been improved. As well as the standard leather on the xLine, the dashboard and other trim areas are leather-look with contrast stitching which gives it a proper premium class look and feel that it lacked before (and a big step up from the austere Tiguan).

We have opted for a Technology pack that includes a rear view camera and adaptive headlights with High Beam Assist, as we would miss those. It also adds enhanced Bluetooth, Wireless Charging although we could live without them. In terms of the key features that we will lose versus the Tiguan, my views are as follows;

Sunroof – won’t miss it. Never really use it and it causes a greenhouse effect in the summer (even with the thin blind closed). Also, you don’t even see it unless you are sat in the rear, which we never are! We are opting for the Oyster interior on the X1 which will lighten the interior anyway.

Digital Dash – Our current Tiguan is the first car we’ve had that has one. I went through all the different options when we got the car, found the one that I liked most and have never changed it since, so we might as well have had a normal dash! You can get a small sat nav map to appear, but I prefer to have the map on the main screen and turn by turn instructions on the dash, which the X1 can do anyway.

Adaptive Cruise – Again, our current Tiguan is the first car we have had it on. I’m not a huge fan of it. The VW system is over sensitive and if a car you are following slows and turns off, you can find the car slowing quite sharply and more than you would do yourself. Also, on a motorway, I set cruise at say 79mph and then after a while you suddenly realise that you have slowed by 10 mph for a while due to traffic ahead that you needn’t have done as you could have overtaken them! With normal cruise, you realise that you are closing the gap so naturally move to overtake. So, again, I won’t really miss it.

There is only one feature that the Tiguan has that I think I will miss and that’s keyless access. It will seem odd having to press the remote again! I also like the foot operated tailgate opening that comes with it. The tailgate on the X1 can be opened and closed via the remote however and it does have keyless go, so you can still have the key in your pocket whilst driving. Whereas I was prepared to pay extra for the pack with the reversing camera and adaptive headlights etc I couldn’t justify the pack cost to get keyless access, as it includes other features that we don’t need. Hope that all helps.

Glos Guy
                          Participant

That’s why I went to Toyota so much equipment even park assist standard

Both of the cars that George is considering have Park Assist as standard.

Glos Guy
                            Participant

George – One other thing. If you decide to go for the Tiguan I thoroughly recommend the Storm Grey two-tone interior. We have it on our current Tiguan (although we have the leather version of it) and you can now get it as a no cost option in cloth trim in the Elegance. It really does lift the interior from the oppressively dark and drab all black interior.

Tim

Is the entire top half (pillars and headliner/electric blind) completely beige/white on the black cloth version?

George

I have decided to continue with my X1 order reason being is that the Tiguan sounds OK on paper but having see one in the flesh it doesn’t impress me. The extras l think are just gimmicks. I know what you mean about the software on these cars I did have a Skoda Superb that had a LCD screen that looks very similar to that on the Tiguan it was terrible everytime l set it up it would loose its settings it’s one of the reasons l changed the car. So as l already have a BMW X1 l will stick to what l know and trust.

Glos Guy
                                  Participant

Is the entire top half (pillars and headliner/electric blind) completely beige/white on the black cloth version?

Hi Tim. Assuming that your question relates to the Tiguan, all Elegance versions have the light headlining, pillars and blind, regardless of seat colour choice. With the R-Line all those areas are black, also regardless of seat colour choice. I hate black headlining, but this was never a problem in the previous R-Line as it had a large panoramic sunroof. Unfortunately, the facelifted R-Line has lost a load of kit that is standard on the Elegance and the panoramic roof is one of the casualties. If you play around on the VW Configurator you can see the huge difference that the different interiors make.

Glos Guy
                                    Participant

I have decided to continue with my X1 order reason being is that the Tiguan sounds OK on paper but having see one in the flesh it doesn’t impress me. The extras l think are just gimmicks. I know what you mean about the software on these cars I did have a Skoda Superb that had a LCD screen that looks very similar to that on the Tiguan it was terrible everytime l set it up it would loose its settings it’s one of the reasons l changed the car. So as l already have a BMW X1 l will stick to what l know and trust.

To be fair, I haven’t had any faults on the VW system George, it’s just rubbish! Quality of mapping isn’t as good as on the BMW, you don’t have an iDrive equivalent controller (so it’s all touch screen, which is more difficult to use on the move), the zoom in / zoom out works the opposite way to the way my brain says it should (still get it wrong after 3 years!) but worst of all, on a journey it regularly wants to divert me off motorways or A roads due to ‘problems’ that don’t exist. I have learned to ignore it, but it’s infuriating as one day there will be a real problem that I run into. By contrast, the Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) system that BMW uses I have always found to be faultless and incredibly accurate and you can always trust it. I asked the dealer to look at it and they supposedly updated the software and it made no difference.

The only proper fault I have had with the Tiguan is the front assist system (the same camera that works the over sensitive adaptive cruise control). Even though I have it set on the least sensitive setting, I had 3 instances when it slammed the breaks on when there was nothing ahead of me. Once was on a motorway when I went under a bridge (the shadow triggered it) and another time in driving rain. That time was scary as moments before I had a van tailgating me and he had just turned off. If he hadn’t, he would have rear ended me. I had to disable the system every time that I started the car until it went into the dealers, which wasn’t great. The issue apparently is that dirt can get behind the lens of the camera, which is a design fault IMO.  No other faults in 3 years but I’m ready to move back to a BMW!

Participant

I see the Tiguan 2.0 Tsi has been added to the scheme l still have time to cancel my BMW X1 order and reorder the Tiguan should l ?

I have driven them both, having the Tiguan SEL with full KESSY inc tailgate with foot release etc., and and the reversing aid,
                                        For a full 3 years on the 7.th June, and I have arranged to keep it for up to a further 2 years.

I was thinking of changing it, potentially to an EV ,or even the BMW X1 which my mate swears by, but on the odd occasion that I have driven it, I find that overall I prefer the Tiguan, but it is clearly down to individual taste .

As we get older, raw power as a criterion, and even a keener drive, seems to fall by the wayside in favour of comfort and kit ( I never thought that I would say that ) , but my wife loves the convenience of the boot opening, and the sliding ,reclining rear seats, and we both love the sliding sun roof , which is included in the SEL.

The grandkids really are taken with the picnic tables , and the room in the back – small stuff maybe, but it all counts.

With ‘sports mode’ and paddle change as well as the ability t change gear manually via the stick, I don’t find any problem with response, no worse than many others which I have driven/ owned, but some might I guess.

I don’t really use the Active Cruise and Lane assist or the auto lights, except on the motorway, where they certainly do ‘come into their own’, and give an overall more relaxed and comfortable drive.

A Police Inspector mate of my daughter , who drives a Ford Eco, but now needs a bigger car, took a look at my Tiguan on the weekend, and has placed an order this afternoon, rather than stay with Ford.

There are plusses and minuses to any car, but I find more plusses to the Tiguan, than most others, and I used to be a Volvo XC ( xc 70, 2x xc 60, xc 90 and a V 60 )
                                        owner!

George

I think that the BMW X1 is a nicer car to look at if that is important to you my only fault with the BMW is with the dashboard it is very hard to position the steering wheel without masking part of the instrument panel.

Richardw
                                          Participant

I’ve got to be honest, we’ve had a BMW for the past 3 years and my problem with choosing a new car now is that lots of cars seem a little ‘low rent’ in comparison. I’d be sticking with the BMW if I were you, far superior in terms of build quality and driveability.

George

One thing l do like on the X1 is the information screen if l go to an unfamiliar area a couple of button presses and the screen gives you the history and local attractions etc, do other cars have this facility?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.