should motability give use incentives to lease EV

• This topic has 24 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by machoco.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #137715 Reply
    martinod

maybe wishful thinking ,

should motability give use incentives to lease EV over ice car , with car makers moving to electric to save the planet , should motability offer use incentives to help us move,( i know the government give incentives but we dont see it on the cars available )

i think the bhp on ev is higher so could increase that , they could and may have to increase the CAP(thanks daily mail) as EVs are more expensive or they could

reduce the advance payment

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137716 Reply
    Russ

Insurance, tyres, mot, services etc.

I think they do enough already.

#137722 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Not sure about incentives, do the math, that should be a big enough incentive!

First thing they need to do is get move EV’s like the e-Niro and bigger battery Leaf, the e208 etc on the scheme and leave them on!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury

#137729 Reply
    martinod

im a great fan of motability but we dont get a free car , motability make a lot of money from us there customers

Russ thanks i read that and it made me laugh a lot , they don’t give use the the stuff you mention , we pay for these things as part of our payment every month

#137737 Reply
    crippleddad
    Participant

In my own humble opinion the only cars available on the scheme should be EV. I am not enforcing my own beliefs on others here but I’d love to know the benefit of a fuel v battery powered vehicle other than the obvious higher initial costs and semi lack of variety.

#137739 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

The benefit of a fossil over an EV is all about charging, where chargers are hidden in narrow parking spaces or require you to climb super high curbs in your wheelchair, but petrol pumps are usually far easier to use. Set that off against those who can charge at home with no need to visit a petrol station ever again and you see a split picture on EVs for disabled people.

Effectively, once the providers of chargers stop discriminating against the disabled, EVs can work.

There’s also the problem of finding large enough EVs on the scheme, although with the arrival of EV vans I hope this will be addressed.

So, we’re not there yet for EVs only, but that day will come.

#137748 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Cannot wait to pick mine up, just wish this bloody virus would go away as its preventing things from happening.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#137749 Reply
    JohntheLeg
    Participant

@Stuart. Any news on when the car will appear? Did your home charger finally get fitted? Can’t wait to see your pics.

Not sure whether to go for the ?Kia Soul or the Citroen E4.

#137750 Reply
    crispy

The idea that all Motability vehicles will be EV is fact by 2027 as they have to move them on 3 years after the start of contract. As from 2030 they will only be able to supply EV.

#137751 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I would see giving incentives to lease EVs as a political move and outside the remit of Motability Operations.  I would think any decision to providing incentives would have to come from and be justified by Motability the charity.

#137762 Reply
    Daf

I don’t see wanting to breathe clean air being political. I can see where you are coming from but the fact is we need to replace ice cars by ev’s to combat climate change and cut down illnesses and deaths caused by pollution.

Given that Motability the charity is there to serve its disabled customer base and still has massive cash reserves its a no brainer.

#137789 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

@Stuart. Any news on when the car will appear? Did your home charger finally get fitted? Can’t wait to see your pics. Not sure whether to go for the ?Kia Soul or the Citroen E4.

Hi Johntheleg

The car has landed at the dealers but unfortunately the earliest i can collect is the 9th Feb as that is when the lease officially expires but i have a feeling this maybe delayed further due to the lockdown. As for the charger i have sorted out the communication issues with BP and got that going, all my documents and photos have been submitted but im still awaiting an installation date, again delayed due to Covid19 and this lockdown. I looked at the Citroen in the pre release press before i test drove the Soul, not seen one in the flesh but it looks a nice car. Only thing that put me off was the more realistic range of 155 miles on the EV database plus i prefer the funky styling of the soul if im honest. I would drive both before making your mind up but the drive in the soul will swing it for you i think.

#137812 Reply
    JohntheLeg
    Participant

Thanks for that Stuart.  I am being swayed by the better range of the Kia, my wife and daughter thinks the styling of the car is great. Hopefully at the end of Feb or beginning of March I’ll be able to get a test drive.

Hopefully your hand over will go ok on the 9th.  Is Click and Collect still an option?

#137815 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Crispy, the ruling on all cars being EV in 2030 only applies to new cars and given the infrastructure to support them is very unlikely to be in place by then, the date is bound to be postponed.

#137818 Reply
    Southamman

Why should they? The choice us yours not Motability.

perhaps they should increase the ap of ice cars instead lol

#137820 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

To answer the original question, no. To ‘incentivise’ one fuel type over another means that, by default, those driving other types of car would be subsidising them. The aims of Motability are to provide an easy solution for disabled drivers to run a new car every 3 years, not to force people into one type of car over another, or to be eco campaigners. That’s not their core purpose. Of course, there should be plenty of EV’s available through Motability (more than at present), but those wanting one should pay an AP appropriate to the lease cost and do the sums of any extra AP versus the cheaper running costs.

#137823 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Thanks for that Stuart. I am being swayed by the better range of the Kia, my wife and daughter thinks the styling of the car is great. Hopefully at the end of Feb or beginning of March I’ll be able to get a test drive. Hopefully your hand over will go ok on the 9th. Is Click and Collect still an option?

Not sure TBH, at the moment most of the staff are on furlough so i doubt that will be an option. He did say he would ring me when he is back next week so i will take it from there. The car really is exceptionally well built, not seen the citreon but it would really have to go some to beat the Soul for quality. will be sure to post plenty of pictures once i get it lol.

#137826 Reply
    Daf

We now know the harm that the pollution caused by ice cars is causing. We need to ensure that as a matter of urgency we switch to the lowest polluting options. It is the responsibility of all of us, Motability included, to cut back as much as possible on greenhouse gasses and pollution. If that means incentivising ev’s then in my opinion it is money well spent.

I have great memories of my previous ice cars but their day has come and gone. It’s not just a case of choosing one fuel over another, it is about reducing the poisons we pump into our environment. We are fast running out of time so for the futures not just of ourselves but of our children and grand children we must bite the bullet. I know that wont be popular with many but the writing is on the wall.

#137827 Reply
    Mmoreton5

If a 7 seat suv came on within the next month I would go ev

#137828 Reply
    JS

If a 7 seat suv came on within the next month I would go ev

why cram people into a SUV when you can go for the Vivaro-E life

#137829 Reply
    72 dudes

Daf, I agree with you to an extent.

But until China, India, Russia, the USA and other massively polluting nations start to act, our efforts over here will have little effect on the situation globally.

Having said that, I’d be happy to go with an EV next time.

I’d like a real range of 300 miles (not a claimed range), and hundreds more charging points. Here in semi rural Suffolk, I’m not aware of any charging points nearby. Oh and an AP of under £2500 for a medium sized SUV.

Maybe by March 2023, there will be a choice of such vehicles.

#137834 Reply
    Daf

72 dudes I agree with the points you’ve raised, but we can only do our best with what’s available. China is ahead of the game when it comes to EVs but of course that is compromised by its use of coal. But we must still do what we can and if that means incentivising EVs then so be it. I have been as much of a petrolhead as anyone and if the choice had been on simple practicality or looks I would have gone for perhaps a Seat Atteca, or Skoda Karoq or a VW Tiguan. But I went for a Kia Soul because it was the best compromise between what I needed and what the Environment and future generations need.

I’m not trying to be holier than thou I just think we all have to do our bit.

By the way Stuart it’s a great car, well built and with a nice turn of pace when required.

#137856 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thinking about it, you could argue that Motability are already providing some incentive towards electric or part electric vehicles, as they seem to be exempt from the normal bhp and price caps. The Volvo Recharge PHEV has come back on the scheme today. It’s over 250 bhp and with metallic paint thrown in that’s a car worth over £43k. Yes, the AP is high (£5,499 for the Inscription Pro) but comparatively that’s much better value than the petrol XC40’s.

People often forget that the actual cost to the customer of running a car through Motability is the AP plus optional extras plus (and this is the important part) around £10k in sacrificed benefits. There are many petrol and diesel cars of around £25k with AP’s of around £2k and £30k cars at around £3k AP. Once you factor in the cost of the sacrificed benefits that’s an outlay of £12k or £13k, which is 48% and 43% respectively of the price of the car. The XC40 recharge will cost £15.5k (£5,499 AP plus £10k sacrificed benefits) which is just 36% of the price of the car.

As a general point, people often balk at cars with high AP’s (as evidenced in the threads showing old price lists when you could get Range Rovers etc) but the fact is that, as a rule, the more expensive the car, the better the deal is, as the same £10k sacrificed benefit applies whether you get a zero AP city car or the £43k Volvo. Those choosing some zero AP cars could be paying over 60% of the cost of the car!

#137883 Reply
    Daf

I agree had a real shock when I saw the Volvo on the scheme. I’m not complaining but we are told there are caps and limits but then we get models on that seem to break all the rules.

You never know perhaps Teslas will be a choice after all 😆

#138006 Reply
    machoco

Motability will still be supplying bev and phevs until 2035 so will have lots of choice @crispy so your points are not true unfortunately

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: should motability give use incentives to lease EV
Your information: