Pip renewals

• Creator
    Topic
    Nannieree
    Participant

Good evening, can anyone tell me how long before your pip runs out do they send you the papers to start renewal proceedings and can you get it for longer that 3 years if your condition isn’t going to improve but is getting worse.

any help is very much appreciated.

marie

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DumfriesDik
      Participant

I’d consider going to Citizens Advice, they may well help with the form filling.

I have the benefit, whatever it is called, for life. Can’t help with when the forms are sent out sorry.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

tvs
        Participant

Marie, it is the DWP who decide the term length of the PIP. They send forms out automatically, so don’t worry about when they will do that.

For expert guidence would go to – https://benefitsandwork.co.uk for filling out the forms. They will be a great help. Am myself on a ’10yr soft review’ as they called it as my Osteoarthritis will only deteriate more over time.

2024 - KIA EV6 GT Line AWD
          2019 - 2024 BMW X1 2.0d X Drive Sport Auto
          2017 -2019 Audi Q3 2.0d Quattro Sport Line Plus
          2005 - 2017 Honda CRV Exec 2.0d

Phaedra
          Participant

Unfortunately there’s no longer any “Lifetime” award, those were phased out some years ago.  Most were put onto an “ongoing award” with a soft renewal at 10 years or a fixed 10 year award.  I’m currently in year 4 of an ongoing award and my Autistic son is in year 3 of a 10 year award.

There’s nobody near enough to the end of those awards yet to know what will actually happen at renewal.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

DumfriesDik
            Participant

Unfortunately there’s no longer any “Lifetime” award, those were phased out some years ago. Most were put onto an “ongoing award” with a soft renewal at 10 years or a fixed 10 year award. I’m currently in year 4 of an ongoing award and my Autistic son is in year 3 of a 10 year award. There’s nobody near enough to the end of those awards yet to know what will actually happen at renewal.

I hadn’t fully appreciated that, thanks for the heads up. I have dug around for ADP and it seems Scotland will review every 8 years. I wonder what they hope to find?!

VW ID3 Max is my DD

ChrisK
              Participant

I originally had one of the DLA, till you die awards, excuse my wording there, but when I / we had to change to PIP the award was changed to a 3 year one although at that time I’d been disabled for 9 years with no change.

To cut a long story short they reduce my award to standard for mobility so I took the DWP to court and although the judge in my case has no say over how the DWP go about award lengths he reinstated my full mobility award in full and made a note to the DWP that it would be inappropriate to award me a short term so today I have the maximum 10 year award.

Not looking forward to 2027 when I get reviewed no matter how soft the renewal may or may not be as I’ve lost all faith in all governments when it comes to looking after the disabled.

Phaedra
                Participant

@ChrisK Everyone I know who’s on PIP or DLA feels exactly the same 🙁

There was a time when you could get a fair assesment, usually from your own GP but for at least the last 15-20 years it’s been a nightmare for a lot of people.  I also lost my high rate DLA when moved to PIP, took two years to get a re-assessment and the enhanced mobility re-instated for 3 years.  For my last review I added 2 pages detailing all the mistakes and outright lies the assessors had listed in my previous assessments.

I added multiple photos of damage to me from frequently falling and 2 letters from my physio confirming my ongoing mobility problems.  This time I got an “ongoing award” (basically 10 years with a light touch review).  Still keeping records of anything that happens so when time comes I’ll have more evidence to send in if needed.

It really shouldn’t be like this but I’m afraid that with the new changes they’ve announced it’s only going to get a lot worse.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Nannieree
                  Participant

Tvs

my problem is my car runs out in Oct and pip is due for renewal in Nov so just hoping that my renewal comes through in plenty of time .

Phaedra
                    Participant

You’ll be eligble to choose another car in July (3 months before the end of your lease) Motability are well aware of the amount of backlog and delays PIP are still having and will take that into account so you should be OK to re-order or extend your current lease if it won’t be 5 years in October.

Ele
                      Participant

Original post

Good evening, can anyone tell me how long before your pip runs out do they send you the papers to start renewal proceedings and can you get it for longer that 3 years if your condition isn’t going to improve but is getting worse.

any help is very much appreciated.

Marie

In Answer and only based on my own experiences whilst having to navigate what was and continues to be a very fluid system of benefit entitlement

I have gone onto expand and explain some additional things that may be of some help to others

Expect to be contacted by the DWP  12 months before an award ends ( official line) in reality this can/has varied depending on the DWPs workload and priorities at any given time

I personally have in the past waited yrs past award end date to have my award reassessed

Award lengths’ can be given longer if the condition and the way it affects you most of the time are more stable/has strong medical support and is deemed to be a lifetime condition as is my case

Even my own ongoing award (usually given for 10yrs ) could be reassessed at anytime the DWP feels it wants to.

My 10 yr award is due for review and I have been told and expect this to be a light touch review

Be aware that

Any reported change of condition can result in the whole of any given award to be looked at again from scratch/afresh ( not just the changes reported)

Be aware that

CAB are funded huge sums by the DWP and imo/experience have found them all but useless,this may vary

Suggest seeking the best one to one individual help possible

Remember its best to hand in a well written and supported award application from the onset as a poorly written/supported application can be hard to distance yourself from at a later date

Any application should be detailed/medically supported because nothing must be left to misinterpretation as to do so will enable the DWP to award on their own interpretation of events which may well differ greatly from your own

Remember keep a detailed diary of all events calls/times/dates/letters/GP/hospital visits also photocopy everything sent to the DWP and only do this using recorded delivery

Term life award explained

In the past, the use of the term “Life Award” proved to be confusing amongst people who
                        received Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Attendance Allowance (AA). It was taken by
                        many to mean that once awarded, benefit could not be taken away. That is, and was never,
                        the case: in order to receive benefit the conditions of entitlement must be met and continue to
                        be met. Benefit recipients, therefore, have a responsibility to tell the Department about any
                        changes that may affect their entitlement and which may lead to their benefits being increased,
                        reduced or disallowed.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/109255/response/269693/attach/html/2/FOI1159%20Response%2030.03.12.pdf.html

This above is based on my own personal experience and is intended as a guideline only and advise everyone to seek their own legal advice

Sorry as this started off as a short reply lol

Nannieree
                        Participant

Well that’s a coincidence had a text message from DWP  this morning saying they are now reviewing my pip so that’s solved my query really.
                          Thank you for helping 😀

Ele
                          Participant

Hi Nannieree

Can I ask when your end date was/is as wondering how long others may have to wait

Nannieree
                            Participant

Bugerman 333

my pip isn’t due for renewal until November 2024 but car is 7th oct24

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Nannieree.
                              Ele
                              Participant

Thanks for that info

So they are now pretty much back on time now

As I said above

Expect to be contacted by the DWP  12 months before an award ends

Not too sure how they review now

phone/paper/face to face?

Best wishes

Marc
                                Participant

I also had a text this morning from DWP saying our daughters PIP renewal will be processed as soon as they can. The award expires in July 2024, we sent the forms back in September.

Daughters motability car Vauxhall Grandland 1.5 diesel automatic Ultimate.
                                  My car SEAT Ibiza SE Tec 1.2 petrol TSI 2017.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.