One Big Day Events

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Unclebob 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85435 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Having been to both the ‘Big Event’ at the NEC and the One Big Day at Harrogate this year, I think they are worth visiting, mainly so you can ‘test climb’ into and out of the many/various cars on display without having a car dealer hovering over your every move, trying to press you into buying ‘x’ car.

Also, there are generally adapted and automatic cars available to test drive – try getting one of those at a dealership in a lot of cases. The test drives maybe brief but do allow you to ‘rule out’ or ‘rule in’ vehicles to look into further.

My top tip for visiting is know what vehicles you want to test drive (they list them on the ‘one big day’ part of the Motability website) and book the test drives as soon as you get into the event.

If you wait and try to test drive a popular car later in the day, you could be waiting hours for your turn, or even unlucky if all it’s slots are booked.

Incidentally my stock of ball point pens always increases after visiting these event!

Dave

#85438 Reply

JS

Lol the things we’ll do for a free Pen.

#85445 Reply

Wheezyfreespirit
    Participant

We went to our first One Big Day event at Harrogate on Saturday. We need a vehicle large enough to fit a wheelchair so looked at WAVs too.  We found that there weren’t enough large cars for us but enjoyed having them on site, all at one time to compare. Didn’t test drive. It was definitely quieter by 2.30pm.

The WAV section was fantastic and very informative. Could ‘drive’ the wheelchair up the ramps, on the lifts etc. Although we had to queue to do this at times. We learnt a lot and probably came away confused as to what to do but definitely more informed. Would recommend and will definitely try to  get to the Big Event. We got a token for a free drink each too (only tea, coffee or soft drinks mind!).

#85454 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

I went to the Manchester event a few years ago. It was good being able to get in and out of several vehicles and have a good old poke around without having to slog around multiple dealers.

That’s pretty much the only positive thing I can say about it. Apparently I’m not very good at being surrounded by lots of other disabled people lol.

#85465 Reply

callmejohn

We in the West of Scotland, don’t tend to get the Motability Big Event, it tends to be held in Edinburgh for the east of Scotland.

However we do get the annual Arnold Clark Motability show at Glasgow’s SECC exhibition center, with most makes of cars, but not all makes, only the ones that Arnold Clark has a dealership for. I have never known them to do test drives of their cars at the show.

I did not go this year, as I had just changed my car in October and don’t plan to change it for another four and a half year’s,

I have thoroughly enjoyed the shows over the year’s, especially if it is within the last year or two, before being ready to pick a new car. Unfortunately as someone who needs a large estate car as apposed to a SUV or people carrier which are two high for me to get in and out of, I was disappointed to find that last years show  did not have any of the five estates I had short listed and had  only two of the equivalent hatchback’s to test for boot size and getting in and out off. Loads of SUV’s and several people carriers if that is what someone needed and as SUV’s have become so popular in general, lots of Motability customers would be quite happy with the overall choice.

What they also did have each year was some excellent discounts from Motability’s AP price, such as Mazda 6 saloons for £399 AP, but sadly if you wanted/needed an automatic estate it was £2,400 AP.

But, If anyone is looking for a Motability car or just likes looking at cars, then it is an enjoyable free day out, with bags of goodies, without any pressure to order a car from Arnold Clark.

#85486 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Having been to both the ‘Big Event’ at the NEC and the One Big Day at Harrogate this year, I think they are worth visiting, mainly so you can ‘test climb’ into and out of the many/various cars on display without having a car dealer hovering over your every move, trying to press you into buying ‘x’ car. Also, there are generally adapted and automatic cars available to test drive – try getting one of those at a dealership in a lot of cases. The test drives maybe brief but do allow you to ‘rule out’ or ‘rule in’ vehicles to look into further. My top tip for visiting is know what vehicles you want to test drive (they list them on the ‘one big day’ part of the Motability website) and book the test drives as soon as you get into the event. If you wait and try to test drive a popular car later in the day, you could be waiting hours for your turn, or even unlucky if all it’s slots are booked. Incidentally my stock of ball point pens always increases after visiting these event! Dave

Hi Dave, good advice, I went to the Exeter show year before last, arrived at 12:30PM and asked to test drive a Ford Kuga and was told the cars were booked for the rest of the day so four and half hours to close of show and no more test for the day.

Was not too impressed to say the least.

#85488 Reply

callmejohn

Can you pre-book a test drive when the show is announced, by contacting Motability and reserving a time slot. .

#85518 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Can you pre-book a test drive when the show is announced, by contacting Motability and reserving a time slot. .

That is something I’ve always wondered about John and I know they publish what cars can be driven at an event and even what adaptions the cars have fitted I don’t think there’s an option for pre-booking but not 100% sure and no one coming back to your post leads to the conclusion that you can’t pre-booked.

It’s a shame though because its the only time I can test drive a car but on the other hand its also a rare event for the model, gearbox, engine size, type and so on all come together at the same time.

#85528 Reply

Footloose

In 2017 I attended the Motability show in Glasgow and prior to that I was offered £150 off my current golf gtd but when I attended the show I stated to the same dealership however from a different location that a dealership further south was offering better than the £150 offered from their company so I stated £300 off the AP and £150 off the upgraded alloys and within seconds and the customary “I’ll speak to my manager “I had been given £450 off the AP and better still when it flagged up on their system the dealership closest to me who initially offered £150 then offered £450 so a happy result and all thanks to the roadshow and not being embarrassed to ask ?

#85543 Reply

lesmond
    Participant

I went to the NEC show, was well stocked with cars, WAV and scooters on display, and helpful people on each stand, even had transport from the car parks to take you to the hall.

The free drinks was an added bonus, my son being cheeky went out and asked for another token, and the lady gave him “6” lol

Just dont buy food from there, I looked at the prices, Fish and chips (which looked like a fish finger) was £11.60!! we did take sandwiches with us so we were OK.

2019. KUGA Titanium X Edition 1.5, petrol, manual in Chrome Blue

#85547 Reply

JS

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere you can only book when you arrive I guess if you pre booked and for some reason couldn’t turn up it would throw the whole schedule out. From the comments so far it definitely sounds worthwhile going to one is close enough, I was lucky enough to live in an area that has a motor park with most manufacturers represented all in one place, however now I’ve moved apart from one dealership close it’s a separate trip to see different options, these events seem a must and very useful especially if needing a wav or adaptions as I guess there is not usually the opportunity to view the options.

maybe WMCForum should have a stand giving out stickers “don’t follow me follow WMC”

#85656 Reply

Unclebob
    Participant

They use to have them in the southeast and we when to the Bluewater one 3 years back but nothing local anymore☹️

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: One Big Day Events

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: