Oh dear – FLOP 26

• Creator
    Topic
  • #167996 Reply
    ajn

Well don’t watch much BBC News, however this Morning I have, must say what a lethargic approach to COP 26…🥴

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #168009 Reply
    ajn

Borris looked fed up already, and that statement of, One minute to midnight, just seemed fed up…

Must admit to burning coal with a mix of chopped logs in the Winter, seems that’s unpopular too, yet it’s still for sale, when will the coal be banned😳🔥🥵

#168013 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Neighbour across from me is having a wood burner installed today. He’s not stupid.  Once HMG taxes every other fuel out of existence, one man and his trusty axe can get by…

#168036 Reply
    brydo

The sooner the better ajn.

This is serious and we all need to do our bit.

I’ve had solar panels for about 11 years now and although its not much in the grand scheme of things I’ve generated some 33,000 kWh in this time and I’m in Scotland, so not the sunniest part of the word.

#168042 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

No, Brydo, it’s not serious.

#168045 Reply
    ajn

I must admit for years I’ve cut, chopped and burnt logs still do, but with all this being pointed out I have eased off on my coal/log burning, however the price of the coal can be expensive so mostly seasoned logs..

I often come home to trunks and large logs, sometimes pre cut left for me from people around here, if I end up with to many I have someone who will have some anyway..

My Son must do most of the work now as well it’s a strain, however he’s been helping me since a lad anyway..

#168046 Reply
    ajn

I feel soon they could be banned anyway..

#168051 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

There is talk of banning wood burners. I think COP26 has come too late and like the flights from Ushuaia to the Antarctic we have already reached the point of no return and the risk is we will just plough on regardless accelerating the process. Put simply we have too many people on the planet.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by fwippers.
    #168055 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Saying that gas boilers are meant to be going too, I know some sort of change should and needs to happen, lots of work to change how we live today..</p>
    Is Borris committed, maybe more so than some I guess

#168059 Reply
    ajn

#168061 Reply
    ajn

Sleepy Joe seems to have had enough..

#168062 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Basically, if China, Russia and other countries do nothing we are wasting out time and money. Joe needs his afternoon nap!

#168064 Reply
    ajn

#168076 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

For an alternative view:

Home

#168121 Reply
    Daf

<p style=”text-align: left;”>We can all make a difference, every single one of the 8 billion people living on this unique wonderful planet. We should make the effort because it’s the right thing to do and because we owe it to at least try to provide a future for coming generations.</p>
    As far as alternative views are concerned they generally come from right wing climate change deniers who rely on lies or pseudoscience rather like Trump and should be treated with the same contempt.

We should all be hoping our leaders do the right thing before it’s too late.

#168122 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yes of course, DAF. Yours is the standard response to anyone who challenges their beliefs.

#168123 Reply
    Daf

Yes Wigwam mine is the standard response to inaccurate “facts” and the lies that populists like Trump made on so many occasions.

#168134 Reply
    ajn

Daf I do agree everyone can and is entitled to do what they can to help.

However when I see the response of the activist glueing themselves on motorways and roads then I lose interest in a way, how dare they terrorise the general public in this way..

Why do they start accusing and assuming everything is terrible because of others, when I reality they do the same as everyone else and have done for years, give a few things..

#168152 Reply
    Mike Cooper

Joe Biden with his 22 car entourage.Marvellous.

#168155 Reply
    Daf

ajn I much prefer to try and convince people through discussion rather than direct action. I do believe and opinion polls back this up, that the public are beginning to realise the imminent danger posed by man made climate change and pollution associated with it. But there are people still in denial and looking for excuses to continue sitting on their hands.

That option is no longer viable. We have about a decade to avert disaster. The 11 hottest years since records began have all occurred since 2000 and extreme weather events have inexorably followed.

In my opinion the real terrorism is doing nothing and destroying the future for all the living creatures on this planet.

#168156 Reply
    brydo

Because some people abuse their position it shouldn’t detract any of us from doing what we can to help. Global warming is the single biggest problem we face and we can’t say “its someone else’s problem it doesn’t affect me” because it does. We just need to have a look at those in the UK who have been flooded over the past decade and those who have died due to the very high temperatures experienced during the summer.

Take what’s happening here and multiply it tenfold to see what’s happening elsewhere in the world with highest temperatures ever recorded in California and Canada. Forrest fires in California and in huge areas of Australia.

What do we do? Do we just do nothing? No we do what ever we can whether that be using an EV, installing solar panels, doing your washing overnight when green electricity is plentiful, recycling your waste, turning the temperature in the house down.

Do whatever you can, don’t be put off by what others are doing, EVERY LITTLE HELPS.

#168166 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

There is one big issue that politicians don´t want to talk about.  Overpopulation.

#168377 Reply
    ajn

Daf with all respect you say we have about a decade to avert disaster simply because that’s what you hear from else where, from others, if they said 20 years you would be repeating that..

Its been left so long now it’s made matters so much worse, the people in the know have been stating this for years, it’s been ignored, and tbh I think this COP 26 seems a half hearted attempt, not by all but by those who have more say than you or I..

Time will tell and hopefully it will work to plan, and the planet can hopefully thrive from the out come.

#168435 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Daf with all respect you say we have about a decade to avert disaster simply because that’s what you hear from else where, from others, if they said 20 years you would be repeating that.. Its been left so long now it’s made matters so much worse, the people in the know have been stating this for years, it’s been ignored, and tbh I think this COP 26 seems a half hearted attempt, not by all but by those who have more say than you or I.. Time will tell and hopefully it will work to plan, and the planet can hopefully thrive from the out come.

Reality is we really do not know how long we have, perhaps it is already too late, maybe we have 10, 20 years. Differing opinions and differing interests are all at play.

#168439 Reply
    Daf

The top Climate scientists with much greater knowledge than I have concluded that to make sure we avert disaster we have 10 years to act. I have no reason to doubt their conclusions given that I have seen growing evidence of adverse weather and pollution incidents all over the world.

I don’t know if it’s too late or whether we have more than 10 years to act, but why take the risk? We need to act, every one of us now. This is not Science Fiction it’s Science Fact. I have no doubt we can avoid the worse effects of Man made Climate change if we all make the effort. How long is left is academic, we need to act now.

#168445 Reply
    ajn

Yes Daf something needs doing soon, 10 years to me, well sounds like breathing space to put things off like they’ve been doing for years previous..😠

The introduction of electric cars will help, however take today for instance I’ve just passed a huge pile of wood and junk which will go up in flames 🔥tonight being 5 Nov,  just that fire alone will be pollution bellowing into the atmosphere, NO ONE will go and stop that, let’s see insulate Britain go glue themselves to the pallets where this fire is built up, these kids will simply roast them if they did..

How many here will be polluting the environment tonight, even at organised firework displays, will this ever stop..

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
Reply To: Oh dear – FLOP 26
Your information: