Had my first accident the other day after 40yrs driving!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Mark Strugnell 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #85062 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

Had my first accident the other day after 40yrs driving, and on our second motability car.

We live at the end of a very narrow cul-de-sac, and someone was dropping a next door neighbor off, so I parked at the end waiting for them to come out, they started to reverse out whilst I was sitting in the car, I thought to myself they are not going to stop, I was right, straight into the back of our car! they said oh we didn’t see you, I mean we have a big blue ford Kuga.

Luckily we have CCTV on the front of our house which points down the street so it recorded the whole thing, then 2hr on the phone to RSA and the repair company. not too much damage to our car and its still driveable, the other car didn’t fare so well.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Avatar lesmond.

2019. KUGA Titanium X Edition 1.5, petrol, manual in Chrome Blue

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85065 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

It’s pain isn’t it lesmond and just wish drivers would pay a little bit of attention to what their doing when driving.

I’m at about 38 years driving and have had this happen to me at least 3 times in that time, once in my Motability car when I stopped at a T-junction and someone reversed out of their driveway opposite straight into me while I waited to pull out.

Lucky for me my car only had a tiny scratch while the offender had a dent. The cheeky Monkey got out of their car and said I’d driven into the back of them would you believe but the drivers mother was there waving goodbye to their daughter who was the driver and when I said “you just reversed into me and I was blowing my horn too” her mother said, being an honest sole, said “yes, that’s right you did reverse into him and he was blowing his horn”.

LoL, Some daughter do have them. 😁

Best of luck with the repairs.

#85066 Reply
    Mark Strugnell

As it’s the other drivers fault motability should sort you out with a decent replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired.

We got an S max for a week when similar happened to us from a car hire company.

It will all be claimed off the other persons insurance especially as you have CCTV.

#85067 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

She never even said sorry to me 🙁

I would have posted the video, but has it an ongoing insurance claim I thought it best not too.

Repairers are going to call monday to arrange time and date to come and assess the car.

#85068 Reply
    Philjb

Good luck with the claim.

I’m just over 46 years and claim free, drivers have so many distractions, she was obviously concentrating on her mum and not thinking about anything else.

Im thinking about getting a camera as we are also in a culdisac and delivery drivers always use our drive to turn around. I’ve watched before and they get really close to our cars.

#85069 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

This is a view from our CCTV £50 from fleebay, our car next to the fence.

#85082 Reply
    Colin

Don’t know why people can’t reverse into their driveway or parking space the way you have done in the photo Lesmond.

Maybe they should make ‘reversing into driveway’ it part of the driving test?

#85092 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Luckily you were covered by the home CCTV. What about when you are driving? Do you have a dashcam? Strongly recommend you to get one.

Back in 2010 ish I saw footage on YouTube and found it interesting. Thought I try it out. Been using the same set up since. Only cost me £2.50. That was for the mobile holder. Mobile smartphone was old spare one. Free dashcam app downloaded. No issues since. Just remember to remove it when you leave the car. Was planning to fit in a proper one years ago but this setup is ok so why waste money?

I will see if I can find the pictures.

#85093 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

#85095 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Ignore the mirror on top. That is used when supervising my offspring when she is driving.

If you are getting a proper dashcam and are going to have it hardwired get permission from motability and RSA first because this is classed as modification. If you plan just to plug it into your cig lighter/usb then no problem.

#85096 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

Do you have a dashcam? Strongly recommend you to get one.

Yes I do have a dashcam, wouldn’t have been much help on this occasion as it points out the front.

I do like the idea of using an old or cheap mobile, will have a look into that.

#85098 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Do you have a dashcam? Strongly recommend you to get one.

Yes I do have a dashcam, wouldn’t have been much help on this occasion as it points out the front. I do like the idea of using an old or cheap mobile, will have a look into that.

I was on about if you were driving. If you for a spare phone then maybe use it to record the traffic behind you.

#85099 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

she was obviously concentrating on her mum and not thinking about anything else.

How did you know that? because that is exactly what she was doing, I never said that in my first post. (you must be psychic haha)

#85104 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

I got a front and rear one after some one decided to try and reverse into the bay I had just pulled out of hitting the rear side panel, apologise and said he was not paying attention. after a week motability phoned me and told me I had to pay excess as they had agreed that it was 50/50 with other drivers insurance and he claimed I was reversing out too, even though I pointed out even if I had been reversing out he still tried to reverse into a non empty bay.

Now I have dashcam that wont happen ever again as ill nail them to the post.

#85118 Reply
    Adam
    Participant

i write off my partner’s car off last year @ 2 years old and only 15.000 miles

but motability should sort it out for you they was brilliant with my car

#85243 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

This is what they gave us for the courtesy car Jaguar F-PACE, wonder if they will let me keep it 😉

#85245 Reply
    Mark Strugnell

Oh wow.really really jealous now.

Think I might need someone to crash into me.

That looks fantastic.

How long did they say yours would take to repair?

#85246 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

How long did they say yours would take to repair?

They didn’t say, they are coming tomorrow (weds) to get it, but I hope it takes ages 🙂

#85247 Reply
    EVman

Isn’t that Jaguar made in China? No really! I think they are!

#85248 Reply
    EVman

I’m thinking of the E-Pace

#85249 Reply
    lesmond
    Participant

Isn’t that Jaguar made in China? No really! I think they are!

Indian company built in the UK by land rover

#85252 Reply
    Philjb

The f pace is a nice car, very spacious inside.

I was in the motor trade most repairs if done well will take around 10-12 working days, allowing for parts etc.

So have you planned that trip from John o groats to lands end  yet. 😂

#85266 Reply
    Mark Strugnell

South of France for a week maybe?

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Had my first accident the other day after 40yrs driving!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: