Going manual from automatic.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #189218 Reply
    PjL

Looking to order this week to avoid AP hikes. Hyundai Tuscon in Ultimate meets all our needs, but only available in manual. Current car is my first auto, but think I might regret switching back. Experiences of others who have gone back to manual would be welcomed.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #189221 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

There was a time when I hated automatics but then with knee problems I more or less had to switch over. Both of my cars now are automatic but from time to time I drive my son’s car which is a manual. I absolutely hate driving it and there is no way I could go back to a manual.

#189222 Reply
    Jojoe
    Participant

Main car, my partners Motability car is auto. I drove manual for years. Absolutely hate using manual these days, automatics are great around town and manoeuvring in car parks. Only time I’d be happy with manual is on a long motorway run.

#189223 Reply
    rox
    Participant

whenever I now drive a manual, it’s usually a loan or hire car and I cannot wait to get my auto back.

#189224 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Ive had the new Tuscon Ultimate manual on the scheme since March. The clutch is light and easy, however if  you have bad leg/knee problems you may be better sticking to an auto as Ive found out and when something more suitable comes along will be looking for an early termination.

The car itself is nice, drives o.k and seems to have every gadget under the sun when compared to others. even its constant bings and bongs reminding you to do something. One negative in my opinion, its not very fuel efficient with an average of 29-33mpg around town and on a run is is a bit better at 42mpg.

My best advise is to see if you can get a demonstrator for 24-48hrs and try to judge for yourself.

Oh and the ventilated seats were a godsend in the recent hot weather 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by kezo.
    #189234 Reply
    Paul

Thanks all for the comments. I’ve previously said I’d never go back and think I am now kidding myself. Kezo, really appreciate your honest comments on the model I’m looking at. Fuel economy is a concern in current markets. I will continue to look. Kuga STX and Karoq Spirtline give me the essentials we need, but I just find the cabin experience very boring. The Tuscon does put a smile on the face.

#189236 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Kezo, really appreciate your honest comments on the model I’m looking at. Fuel economy is a concern in current markets. I will continue to look. Kuga STX and Karoq Spirtline give me the essentials we need, but I just find the cabin experience very boring. The Tuscon does put a smile on the face.

Yes the cabin is different and that’s what I liked about it., plus its roomy.  The rising fuel costs are a concern, how long they will last is another thing.

One thing to bear in mind how much higher are the advance payments if any on the others you mention against offsetting the difference with higher fuel costs depending how many miles you do.

#189240 Reply
    Westdev
    Participant

The AP on the Tuscon is noticeably cheaper  –  1300 below the kuga and around 800 below the skoda. Most of my mileage is out of towns. The car is for my daughter, so I have no physical issues around manual, it’s just an ease and convenience thing. There wouldn’t be much difference on a 3 year cost basis.

Around 65% less cars on the scheme from 3 years ago, and I’m still indecisive!! Now steering back to the Tuscon. The no cost option of a light leather interior is another big uptick.

#189243 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

If you have any sort of knee problem that impacts your left leg, then believe me the first time you find yourself in stop start traffic for any length of time, you will regret giving up the auto.

I switched to auto in 2016, and will never go back to manual

#189248 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

After 20 years of driving auto I opted for a manual a few years ago to get the car I wanted with a lower AP.

I really couldn’t get used to it again after so long and I ended up changing it after 3 months for an auto.

In hindsight it was a smart move as my arthritis got much worse quite quickly and I couldn’t physically drive a manual now.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Mercedes Benz B180 Premium Plus.

#189260 Reply
    tinytim
    Participant

I used to hate Automatics as i always thought a manual was more exciting but since having more than nine Automatics with the first was a Citroen C2 VTR auto which although the press did not like it i loved it, i had a Fiat Punto Sporting 1.2 Dual Logic Auto and to be fair got really used to it and at the time was quite a nippy little car and then i went onto a Seat ibiza 1.4 dcg and a Skoda Fabia 1.4 vrs dsg what a great car that was.

tim

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Going manual from automatic.
Your information: