Ford Transit WAV

• Creator
    Topic
  • #188459 Reply
    Jake

Hi all,
    There’s a lot of talk about cars on here and not a lot about WAVs. I am looking for my first WAV for my son as he is getting very heavy to hold and soon will be impossible to lift into the regular car. We have been to both Big Events and seen a lot of WAVs. The only off putting thing is the APs. They are extremely high. We then realised we could get a nearly new WAV for cheaper which made us interested. After trying so many cars we have decided that the Ford Transit Independence is the most suitable. However, we are going to apply for a grant as the dealer said the APs are between £1000 – £2500 on the nearly new ones. Does anybody have any ideas on grants and/or the Ford Transit. Any advice will help

Thanks all

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #188467 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Jake,

We are WAV motability customers. We had a nearly new as our first vehicle, they are as rare as hens teeth so you you may need to move quickly. Our AP was still quite a lot of money as the vehicle was only six months old. The obvious disadvantage is that the lease is only for three years, we actually managed to keep ours for nearly seven years with a two year extension, help from a global pandemic and a wait of over a year for delivery. The massive advantage of a nearly new is that there is no waiting time. Wish you every luck in the world.

#188497 Reply
    Jake

Thanks for the response. Can I ask – which WAV have you got? And did you get a grant? If yes was it successful

#188506 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is grant information on this thread:

Motability Grant Application

#188511 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

Hi all, There’s a lot of talk about cars on here and not a lot about WAVs. I am looking for my first WAV for my son as he is getting very heavy to hold and soon will be impossible to lift into the regular car. We have been to both Big Events and seen a lot of WAVs. The only off putting thing is the APs. They are extremely high. We then realised we could get a nearly new WAV for cheaper which made us interested. After trying so many cars we have decided that the Ford Transit Independence is the most suitable. However, we are going to apply for a grant as the dealer said the APs are between £1000 – £2500 on the nearly new ones. Does anybody have any ideas on grants and/or the Ford Transit. Any advice will help Thanks all

We’ve had WAV’s in our household for the last 20 years, we have two son’s in wheelchairs and each had a vehicle due to their different conditions and equipment required at the time, one had a Peugeot partner size vehicle and the other a Renault master.

The two major key factors concerning vehicle size Is wheelchair length, and height clearance of head getting into vehicle. Then other factors like do you have a carer that needs to travel in the back of the vehicle , oxygen cylinders etc.
    there are more of the smaller size WAV’S on the market and the Peugeot partner seems to be in abundance, have you looked at that vehicle as AP prices seem fair ?

We’ve had a grant for one of the vehicles, factors like our son had no savings in a major factor, I suggest you put a grant in for a new vehicle and seen what the outcome is .
    Yes they make you jump through loads of hoops and will dictate the model of vehicle you get ….bottom line is they will always go for the cheapest model that suits your sons needs as they hold the purse strings .

If looking at nearly new have a look on Allied Mobility’s website , they are one of the biggest converters in the UK ..followed my maybe GM Coachworks .

As you say not much chat on here about WAV’s ☹️

#188519 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Good advice @Unclebob

Just a point but I do not believe Grants will fund a nearly new WAV, I may be wrong. They will look to fund a new vehicle.  The first step is to talk to Grants, the second is to call Allied Mobility and arrange a home demonstration if you feel the Tourneo Custom Independence (as it it trademarked to Allied) is the right vehicle for you.  The demonstrators themselves are a huge source of information and advice and once the grants process is underway they feedback and advise the Grants team over the best vehicle for your son.

There are many other Converters that can provide demonstrations, McElmeel have a growing reputation, they are Northen Ireland based but will demonstrate all over the UK.

#188522 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

Thanks 👍🏻👍🏻

I don’t know your son’s condition but our son is both physically and mentally disabled to we have to second guess all his motoring needs.

If getting a medium or large WAV, opening side windows and rear air/con is a priority as in basic terms, the vans are like mobile greenhouses in the summer months 😳

…and yes grants will only support new vehicles. We have used most of the conversion companies over the years.

Allied Mobility , Verso, O&H, Gowrings, all good , and Brook Miller is an excellent dealer 👍🏻

#188524 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

…just another thought, WAV’s can be restricted in multi story car parks or ones with height barriers, 1.8m and 2.1m are common , make sure if going for a transit type vehicle you have sufficient clearance 👍🏻

#188958 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Electric WAV’s are coming and they qualify for the government electric grant.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/vauxhall/vivaro-life/41525/brotherwood-elektron-new-electric-wheelchair-accessible-vehicle-wav

#189033 Reply
    Jake

They will be expensive though..  the AP will be very high

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Ford Transit WAV
Your information: