First EV charge

• Creator
    Topic
    Footloose
    Participant

Hi all,

Collected my Cupra V3 e boost Born yesterday and love it.It didn’t take me too long to set up and my home charger gets fitted in a fortnight so I decided to use one of the many public chargers near to me using the Motability go charge card and have to say it was quite easy though I was apprehensive at first but there’s 200kw chargers recently added and it didn’t take long at all to top up as I did a fair run yesterday.One setting up wasn’t so bad as I had a Formentor but one thing was the V2 Formentor had keyless entry but V3 Born doesn’t even though foolishly I was faffing about for ages yesterday thinking it did but was informed today that it required a tech pack 🙄 and I took the demonstrator model so it was from stock.Anyway i hope you’re all well.Safe driving 👍

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      joss

Happy car day to you @Footloose  Look forward to your review on it.

Joss
        Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Rhodgie
        Participant

Happy New car day 🥳

I haven’t used my Motability Go card as the only time I tried it wouldn’t connect, I’d recommend getting the Electroverse card as it’s very handy when charging away from home

Adrian
          Participant

Happy new car day! To anyone reading this though, the charging speed is limited by your car and not the charger.

I know this isn’t you @Footloose (yours is .. 175 right?) but seems to be largely unknown and it might save folk a few pennies

"Come on BYD Seal!"
            Participant

Happy new car day, enjoy 😉

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

Footloose
              Participant

Hi Adrian

thanks ..sound advice to everyone.

i was trying to understand the model description as in V3 58kw but also 169kw which forgive me I didn’t quite understand as an EV beginner.

if anyone can explain to help my EV journey please?

Also thank you to everyone for their replies as your advice and help is priceless 👍

Footloose
                Participant

Hi all

My Born is at 89% and says 133 miles..does that seem right?

72 dudes
                  Participant

Hi all My Born is at 89% and says 133 miles..does that seem right?

That’s low but don’t worry, you’ve probably only done short journeys so far. It should comfortably do 200 miles between charges at this time of year

The 58 kWh is the capacity of the battery which is what gives you the range.

The 159 kw is the power output of the motor (in this case VC around 231 BHP)

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                    2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                    2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Footloose
                    Participant

Hi

I meant to say the low mileage reading was on the app and vehicle was parked overnight but I’ve been in the vehicle for a short trip and the dash and app now read 87% and 199 miles 🤔.

Technology 😫

Rene
                      Participant

Hi I meant to say the low mileage reading was on the app and vehicle was parked overnight but I’ve been in the vehicle for a short trip and the dash and app now read 87% and 199 miles 🤔. Technology 😫

That’s normal.

All these indicators (not just EVs, same goes for petrol vehicles) are based on an average of your last “insert X amount of miles (dependant on the manufacturer/software)” driven miles.

As an example, in our GTE, if i drive like a bit of a loon electric only, then put it on charge, the fully charged car will read like 29 miles range (both dash and app). If i then go for a drive, it gradually adjusts that estimate, usually happens by driving two miles, but the range only dropping by one. If i drive sensibly and fully charge, range goes up to around 39 miles in dash and app.

Kinda has to be that way, since consumptions and efficiencies change over a drive (especially in an EV, where you use exponentially more charge at higher speeds).

Prior: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
                        Current: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

Adrian
                        Participant

The 58 kWh is the capacity of the battery which is what gives you the range. The 159 kw is the power output of the motor (in this case VC around 231 BHP)

I think the charging speed of the 58kWh battery is 125kW

So even if you plug in to a 500kW charger, you’ll get 125kW max .. peak .. on a good day, if the battery is warm.

I do wish they’d tell people this, it’s important – as long as you’re not paying extra for the more speed though 🙂

Ooh nerdy charge curve for your car here:

Source is the Fastned app.

But don’t let the nerdiness discourage you from the fun pedal!

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                          DumfriesDik
                          Participant

Hi all My Born is at 89% and says 133 miles..does that seem right?

On my ID3 you often have to multiply by 1.6 to get the correct mileage.

So 133 X 1.6 = 213 miles which sounds about right.

It’s an endearing feature I fear.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.