Cupra born!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169155 Reply
    72 dudes

Seat’s version of the ID3.

Not impossible, but seeing as we don’t even get the entry level Cupra Formentor 1.5 TSi on the scheme, pretty slim.

Way too “sporty” for the Motabilty scheme 🙄

#169156 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Nice looking car Mike and absolutely should be on the scheme, will it make it is anyones guess.

Nice range of colours also.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#169169 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Great looking car, would’ve ordered it over the GTE.

That said, chances that we get it? Zero. It’s not a SEAT. It’s a Cupra. Cupra, much like any other sports car manufacturer, has no interest in joining the scheme – for somewhat understandable reasons.

As was pointed out, the more “practical” Cupra, the Formentor, isn’t on the scheme either. And that’s been out for a while now. The reason for that is of course the fact that Cupras are marketed as performance cars (even a 1.5 TSI Formentor). It’s not a good look for Motability to offer “sports cars” to people who need quality seats, space etc pp.

We all remember where it ends when the media thinks we’re driving cars that we shouldn’t. Regardless of the fact that the Golf GTE for example is more comfortable than our current “luxury version” Ateca. It’s idiotic, but i definitely can see why they won’t come to the scheme. Because in the end, if you want a quick electric car, you can get the “less flashy one”, ID3. Which, as a sidenote, i’d agree with btw, at least to some degree. The Born doesn’t really offer anything over the ID3, other than slight power increase (temporarily, boost function), and sportier (imho, better) design. And potentially a stiffer suspension, but haven’t looked into the changes in that regard. Not necessarily a good sales argument for disabled people though.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#169173 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Nice looking car. Whilst Cupra’s are essentially Seat’s, and Seat is already on the scheme, they are marketing Cupra as a separate brand and it’s aimed at the sporty, young (or young at heart) market, so putting it on the Motability scheme might contradict their brand positioning! Shame though, as the ID3 and ID4 are as bland as bland can be from a styling perspective IMHO and this is about the only EV I’ve seen in recent times that doesn’t look either boring or ugly! As a general point though, I fear that we are some way off any new entrants to the Motability scheme.

#169178 Reply
    Georgie

“this is about the only EV I’ve seen in recent times that doesn’t look either boring or ugly!”  My thoughts exactly.  It’s like manufacturers go out of their way to make EV’s look as pug-faced and cuboid as possible, a few rare exceptions (imho) being the Tesla mk3, Audi Q4 e-tron GT, Porsche Taycan and the Mustang Mach-E – none of which look quite as nice as their ICE equivalents and none of which will ever be available on Motab.

#169207 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Whilst Cupra’s are essentially Seat’s, and Seat is already on the scheme, they are marketing Cupra as a separate brand

This is wrong. At least today. A few years back it was correct. Cupra is not a subdivision of SEAT anymore, it’s an independent brand. It’s not just marketed as a separate brand, it is one. That’s why they have cars like the Born, which as you will notice, isn’t a SEAT, but a VW. AMG doesn’t “tune” SMART cars, nor does BMWs M division “tune” Minis. Tuning divisions are “in brand”, not “in organisation”.

Another pointer would be the Formentor, which is a pure Cupra car with no equivalent by SEAT or VAG in general.

The rest is correct though. Although i don’t think the ID3 looks boring, especially not compared to the Kona, Leaf and other smaller EVs, that’s subjective. I certainly disagree that all EVs look boring though, there’s plenty of exciting looking ones – it’s just that those usually are way out of our price range. Taycan, Q4 e-Tron, e-Tron GT, Polestar 2, some of the Mercedes’ EQ range etc. Enyaq IV is a cracking looking car, imho, too (with the correct wheels/paint).

#169212 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Sorry to change the topic but:-

My favourite BEV is the Mercedes-Benz EQS

#169213 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’d like to see that tackle the speed bumps and potholes round ‘ere!

#169216 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I’d like to see that tackle the speed bumps and potholes round ‘ere!

No issue, you can lift it electrically.

The interior is mindblowing. I’m not even sure i could drive it without getting distracted, to be honest. That, what are they calling it, Hyperscreen or something is insane. The entire dashboard is a display.

I’d love to have one, but the price is somewhat.. restrictive.

#169220 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Whilst Cupra’s are essentially Seat’s, and Seat is already on the scheme, they are marketing Cupra as a separate brand

This is wrong. At least today. A few years back it was correct. Cupra is not a subdivision of SEAT anymore, it’s an independent brand. It’s not just marketed as a separate brand, it is one. That’s why they have cars like the Born, which as you will notice, isn’t a SEAT, but a VW. AMG doesn’t “tune” SMART cars, nor does BMWs M division “tune” Minis. Tuning divisions are “in brand”, not “in organisation”. Another pointer would be the Formentor, which is a pure Cupra car with no equivalent by SEAT or VAG in general. The rest is correct though. Although i don’t think the ID3 looks boring, especially not compared to the Kona, Leaf and other smaller EVs, that’s subjective. I certainly disagree that all EVs look boring though, there’s plenty of exciting looking ones – it’s just that those usually are way out of our price range. Taycan, Q4 e-Tron, e-Tron GT, Polestar 2, some of the Mercedes’ EQ range etc. Enyaq IV is a cracking looking car, imho, too (with the correct wheels/paint).

OK, but I thought that Seat and Cupra were both part of VAG group and Cupras have more than a passing resemblance to Seats!

I should clarify my point about bland or ugly EV’s. I was referring to those on the Motability scheme, although I accept that looks are entirely subjective. If they weren’t we’d all want the same car!

#169223 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I think im in love lol.

I’m only one decent lottery win away from this.

#169227 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

This is wrong. At least today. A few years back it was correct. Cupra is not a subdivision of SEAT anymore, it’s an independent brand. It’s not just marketed as a separate brand, it is one. That’s why they have cars like the Born, which as you will notice, isn’t a SEAT, but a VW. AMG doesn’t “tune” SMART cars, nor does BMWs M division “tune” Minis. Tuning divisions are “in brand”, not “in organisation”. Another pointer would be the Formentor, which is a pure Cupra car with no equivalent by SEAT or VAG in general. The rest is correct though. Although i don’t think the ID3 looks boring, especially not compared to the Kona, Leaf and other smaller EVs, that’s subjective. I certainly disagree that all EVs look boring though, there’s plenty of exciting looking ones – it’s just that those usually are way out of our price range. Taycan, Q4 e-Tron, e-Tron GT, Polestar 2, some of the Mercedes’ EQ range etc. Enyaq IV is a cracking looking car, imho, too (with the correct wheels/paint).

OK, but I thought that Seat and Cupra were both part of VAG group and Cupras have more than a passing resemblance to Seats! I should clarify my point about bland or ugly EV’s. I was referring to those on the Motability scheme, although I accept that looks are entirely subjective. If they weren’t we’d all want the same car!

Well yes, Cupra is part of the VAG group – but so is Audi. You wouldn’t argue that Audi is part of SEAT. Of course there’s a resemblance, as i said, until a few years ago (rather recently, actually), they were indeed basically the AMG of SEAT, “tuning” SEAT cars. I have a somewhat hard time to find an equivalent admittedly, there’s for example Brabus for Mercedes (not quite the same, but similar in the sense that they “tune” Mercedes’ which aren’t Mercedes’ anymore afterwards), or RUF for Porsche. The RUF Yellow Bird wasn’t a Porsche, even though it clearly was a 911. If that makes sense.

Nowadays, Cupra doesn’t just “tune” SEATs, they make their own cars (Formentor) and tune in-organisation (ID3).

And yeah, i agree. The to us available EVs are somewhat bland compared to what’s available on the market. I still don’t think the ID3 looks boring (again, subjective), but it doesn’t look exciting either. There really aren’t many exciting cars on the scheme, i suppose by choice – as i said, offering an MX5 to disabled people might make sense to you and me (albeit, it doesn’t actually make sense to me either), but try selling that to the yellow press. I’d have loved a GT86. One of the main reasons for the GTE over the normal golf are indeed the sport seats, because they support her (edit: my wifes) hip in the correct places to stay comfortable. Something our “comfort seats” in the Ateca don’t, she can only sit in there for an hour before it gets painful (that’s the reason why we got to terminate early).

So.. I can see both sides. The fact remains though, that the majority of people on the scheme don’t actually need a sporty car. In this case, the only thing the Born would offer to the scheme is (potentially) less comfort, more power (pointless in an already rapidly accelerating car, so not an argument when trying to sell to disabled people), and better looks. And i absolutely agree that it just looks better that way. The question remains, is “getting a better looking ID3” worth the inevitable backlash of the public, and in that regard i’d argue, no. It’s not worth it. If the Born ticks all important boxes, the ID3 does too. “Exciting to look at” isn’t really a necessity if the goal is to give disabled people an option to be less reliant on others, making them more mobile etc.

#169228 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Yeah, that interior is.. well, lets say, it’ll get some uuhhs and aaaws at the pub.

And then a bit of laughter when you tell them how much it costs.

But here’s one thing we agree on: if i’d win the lottery, i’d have one too.

#169238 Reply
    Georgie

Mercedes-Benz EQS: If it comes with a pop-out seat like with Captain Scarlet’s MPV then I’ll also have one – in Sodalith blue.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Cupra born!
Your information: