Colour change

This topic contains 50 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Olpk 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104210 Reply

Tommy

Hi we have ordered a vw tiguan allspace for 28th March which is our handover date, I ordered it in platinum grey but changed my mind and asked my dealer if he could change the order to deep black pearl, he said we are stuck with the grey as its a factory order and when he checked for me he said  it went through last week so I can’t change colour.

Is there anything I can do about this, the first dealer I went to said if AP was lowered before car was due he would just cancel it and re order it at new price so was wondering if its same for colour

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104211 Reply

Rhodgie

I’ve got no idea on that but unless the dealer is happy to switch it cause he can sell the grey one easily then I think it’s a poor show to consider cancelling the order… different if the dealer has made a mistake but you picked it?

If the AP had changed the dealer would be re ordering the same car already being built not a different one.

#104221 Reply

Dave h

Plus if you cancel the build time on allspace is longer than the normal tiguan so you wont be getting it for March and blacks a bitch to keep clean

#104276 Reply

Clipped wimgs

Agree with Dave, stick to grey. Black hot in summer, grubby in winter. Due to the location of the ex Beetle factory, do Vw offer Mexican orange or manjana mauve.

#104281 Reply

Macca
    Participant

Black looks fab in showrooms, but takes a lot of work to keep it well in the real world.

Grey hides dirt for longer and looks great in the sun when its polished

#104282 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Tommy you will have the car for a long time so you want to be happy with it, there’s nothing worse than coming out in the morning looking at the car and thinking “I should have gone for black”. I don’t like change for the sake of it but colour is pretty fundamental to you liking and enjoying your car.

I would decide on your colour, we are on our third black car, and if you want to change, change now. Apologise to the dealer, explain how you feel and if he won’t budge cancel and go elsewhere.

If you’ve been keeping up to speed with the forum you will know there are a couple of VW companies doing deals so you might be financially better of also.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#104313 Reply

Adam
    Participant

keep the grey blacks a bitch to keep clean

#104315 Reply

Colin
    Participant

In answer to the original question, yes, you are 100% free to cancel your order at any time, for any reason, until the point where you enter your PIN number at collection.  Personally, with the demand and backlog of Allspace orders, I don’t think the dealer would have a problem moving the car so I personally wouldn’t be too worried about the morality of cancelling for a “minor” reason.

All that said though, as someone already said, the Allspace is a 5-8 month build time so if you DID change by cancelling and reordering, you’ll have to wait for the car.

My last car was a Black Peugeot 407SW and while it was hard to keep gleaming clean, it didn’t look that bad when it was just a bit dirty, but there are definitely easier colours to keep clean. I think someone already said this but I’m going to reiterate the sentiment. Every time you walk up to the car you’ll see the colour so if you’re really set against the grey, then you need to make the change or you’ll potentially have 3 years of regret and trust me, you don’t want that. I’m hopefully in my new car Friday and I’ve never been happy with the car I’ve had for the last 3 years – I should have stood up and refused to be convinced otherwise back in 2017.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104327 Reply

Ricos

Black looms nice but yo keep looking nice is harder than white, black shows swirls from  washing so unless your prepared to pay a detailer for every clean, it will never look as nice as the day you picked a black car up.

#104328 Reply

Tommy

I got the car on q4 price so if the have to reorder it do you think I’ll have to pay q1 price?

#104335 Reply

Colin
    Participant

If you cancel and re-order then yes, you will be subject to the prices at the point of re-ordering.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104343 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Don’t think it is on asking to change colour after the order has gone through. The facility to change your mind up to the PIN number going in is surely provided for the situation where mobility problems/requirements have altered.

#104347 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The PIN is for our protection just the same as a private buyer wouldn’t hand over payment unless they were 100% happy, we have the PIN system that gives us the same choices.

#104365 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

A private buyer would have paid a deposit and would not be able to reject the car and get deposit back at the last minute just because of a change of mind on colour.

#104375 Reply

rox
    Participant

blacks good but it shows up every flaw. after washing it in a day you can see a layer of dust all over, so i’ve given up as you can see..It’s off to vw tomorrow for it’s mot and they’ll clean it, i’d not get a black pearl again way to much hassle to keep clean. looks good on a sunny day but when do we have many of them.

My next cars gonna be blue but if i did get a tig would of been in the grey.. like On my last 2 before the golf..

both gun metal grey

#104378 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Maybe not but it’s due on 28th march so not last minute, I have changed my mind on a car I bought private before, wasn’t happy with a spec change between order and build, I was charged an admin fee and they just swapped the deposit onto another order.

With the way car manufacturers build cars to the J.I.T. system these days they will have no problem shifting any stock they can get their hands on especially the Allspace as there’s a long waiting list.

#104393 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Vinal

With due respect to your views, if you are correct why don’t dealers keep  popular cars  in stock? I am sure it is because people want to order cars to their own particular spec. and colour.  A buyer would undoubtedly be able to haggle for a far greater discount for an ” in stock” car that didn’t quite match their requirements.

I believe motability is an excellent scheme and dealers usually will bend over backwards to assist with problems you may have – but asking for a colour change on an ordered car is, to me, a step too far.

#104394 Reply

Tommy

Tbh guys the order only went in 1 week ago, considering like people say there is a 4-8 month wait for these cars then I assuming the build process won’t have even started yet, I’m not asking to change the colour on a car that’s already built just change the colour on one that’s due to be built

#104399 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

If the order is a week old then it will not even have been given a build slot so just call and change the colour.

Regarding keeping popular cars in stock you need to google the way car manufacturers make cars today, they use the Japanese system called “Just In Time” where they only hold parts in stock for the cars they have orders for up to 6 hours prior to the actual build, ring round a few dealers and ask what cars they have in stock like the Allspace.

#104483 Reply

Tommy

Vinalspin the dead lership said its a factory order and as its gone in already I can’t change colour

#104488 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Rubbish, ask for confirmation of the build date in writing then and speak to Motability, I bet it hasn’t been built yet otherwise it would be ready for collection in the next 2-3 weeks.

You can cancel anytime and place another order as it’s only a week ago you won’t have much of a delay.

#104496 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Vinal

Tommy’s hand over date is 28 March so it wouldn’t be available for collection in two to three weeks. The dealer has ordered the car in good faith and will be stuck with it unless someone else buys it.

#104498 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

From Motability site:-

Can I change my mind after I have made a car application?
    If you have placed an order for your car through a Motability dealer and have since changed your mind you must speak to the dealer directly to discuss changing or cancelling the application. Please note that your dealer may charge a cancellation fee in these situations.

#104505 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Do you work for the dealership?

#104507 Reply

Colin
    Participant

He original question was a simple “Can I?” not a request for opinions based on peoples personal moral attitudes.

The question “Can I?” has one answer  – “Yes” irrespective of anyone’s personal opinions.

The colour can be changed, as far as I am aware, at any point before the actual painting takes place, so if the car is pre-build, there’s no reason for the dealership to say no other than “Can’t be arsed to do the work.”  I can’t speak for the Mexico facility where the Allspace is built, but having just watched a documentary about the german plant where the standard Tiguan comes from, the paint part of the process is simple enough as they don’t paint in colour batches,  just about every car that goes through is a different colour to the last one.

The comment earlier about dealerships bending over backwards for Motability customers is one which a lot of people here will take issue with, I personally have had 3 or 4 good experiences but just as many ignorant “couldn’t really care less” attitudes from dealerships. There are, absolutely, some “good eggs” but a LOT of dealers do the absolute minimum they can get away with as the financial reward for Motability scheme cars is substantially less than for retail sales. A LOT of the salesmen get a substantial amount of their income from the commission so, a lot of the time they just want the Motability customer dealt with quickly and easily so they can go try to get a “proper” sale.

#104516 Reply

Tommy

29th March is just the date my current lease finishes, I haven’t even had a build date yet nor a order confirmation number so still can’t see why they can’t change colour

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Colour change

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: