BMW cancel i4 order !!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Rowls1958
    Participant

Help…..I ordered my BMWi4 on March 5th, gkas I did as it was withdrawn from the scheme on tne 31st March. It was going to be a build car and last week BMW Genius said it was down for build week 24. However, I checked yesterday and they said my order had “dissapeared”. I spoke to the dealer and they’ve told me BMW have “cancelled” my order and stopped production on this model as they are changing to the ‘refreshed”model. As its now off Motability they’ve basically told me ‘tough’ there’s nothing they can do and my order is cancelled – after over 2 months waiting !! Anybody has any precedents for this ? Is it worth me taking to Motability ? Help ?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MIJ
      Participant

I was going to order one too but they took it off the list before I could. I’ve not yet ordered my first car, I need to sell mine and I’m worried I’ll sell mine and then get my MB car delayed or cancelled. I have seen a few posts now with delivery issues. Is this common? When my car is ready, will they wait a few weeks so I can sell mine or do you need to take delivery immediately?

billy786
        Participant

Very strange as I ordered on 16th March and have been told car is going to be built June and delivered August. Was also told by my dealer there would be no chance of getting the facelift as production was pre July and not on motability.

Rene
          Participant

Not up to date on the update cycle of BMW models, but if it’s indeed the case that a facelifted model is in the works, then you’re SOL.

It very much sucks, but there’s zero you can do. The new model isn’t on the scheme, so there’s no way for a sales rep to change your order to the newer model (which would come with potentially different AP as well).

Since the old model isn’t on the scheme anymore either, you can’t even get one from stock (which is likely what they’d have offered if the order can’t be fulfilled by the factory due to model change).

As i said, it very much sucks, but there really isn’t anyone “at fault” as such. You didn’t get screwed by “someone”, is what i mean. There’s nothing anyone can do, just the perfect storm of excrement – the only options are to order something else, or wait and see if the new I4 comes to the scheme (might, might not).

You can of course talk to MB, but they’ll tell you the same.

In regards to selling, they’ll expect you to pick the car up timely. They certainly will not hold it for weeks until you might’ve found a buyer for your old car. Which is nonsense anyway, you very much can pick up the new car while still being in possession of the old one. You can sell that while the new car is at your place.

To be clear, lot space at the dealership is at a premium. You expect them to store your car for weeks, for free. Other facilities charge you hundreds of pounds for that. But as i said, that’s an incredibly odd way of thinking anyway, taking delivery of the new car has zero impact on you being able to sell the old one off.

Prior: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
            Current: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

Rene
            Participant

Very strange as I ordered on 16th March and have been told car is going to be built June and delivered August. Was also told by my dealer there would be no chance of getting the facelift as production was pre July and not on motability.

Not necessarily. It depends on when your (or rather, his) dealer sent the order off to the factory. Dealerships have allotted slots for factory orders, if their batch is full, your order slips into the next batch. Which leads to the issue that some had, where they ordered with the dealership and had their orders cancelled because it was removed from the scheme before the order was placed by the dealership at the factory (sometimes months after order).

In this case, what could’ve happened, is that his dealership simply had all factory slots already used, and had to wait until they free up. Meaning that his order, despite being ordered sooner at the dealership, arrived later at the factory. If that makes sense.

kezo
              Participant

I would have thought it would have rolled over to the refreshed model, if your car wasn’t built by the changeover date!

Have you spoke to Motability ?

Rene
                Participant

I would have thought it would have rolled over to the refreshed model, if your car wasn’t built by the changeover date!

Why would you think that? This has never happened ever, the new car has new identificators, is likely more expensive, and most importantly doesn’t exist in the MB system.

If you order the old variant of the car, the manufacturer delivers the old variant. Either as a factory order, or from stock. A dealership knows which car you’ll be getting and they’ll tell you straight before order which model it’s going to be.

The reason he is SOL is that the car has been removed from the scheme, so he’s not eligible for a car from stock.

Rowls1958
                  Participant

Don’t want to panic you but I’d check with your dealer in the morning. I was told build week 24 last Friday and told today order cancelled…….

MIJ
                    Participant

Not up to date on the update cycle of BMW models, but if it’s indeed the case that a facelifted model is in the works, then you’re SOL. It very much sucks, but there’s zero you can do. The new model isn’t on the scheme, so there’s no way for a sales rep to change your order to the newer model (which would come with potentially different AP as well). Since the old model isn’t on the scheme anymore either, you can’t even get one from stock (which is likely what they’d have offered if the order can’t be fulfilled by the factory due to model change). As i said, it very much sucks, but there really isn’t anyone “at fault” as such. You didn’t get screwed by “someone”, is what i mean. There’s nothing anyone can do, just the perfect storm of excrement – the only options are to order something else, or wait and see if the new I4 comes to the scheme (might, might not). You can of course talk to MB, but they’ll tell you the same. In regards to selling, they’ll expect you to pick the car up timely. They certainly will not hold it for weeks until you might’ve found a buyer for your old car. Which is nonsense anyway, you very much can pick up the new car while still being in possession of the old one. You can sell that while the new car is at your place. To be clear, lot space at the dealership is at a premium. You expect them to store your car for weeks, for free. Other facilities charge you hundreds of pounds for that. But as i said, that’s an incredibly odd way of thinking anyway, taking delivery of the new car has zero impact on you being able to sell the old one off.

I need the money from my current car to pay the AP on the new one. I’m guessing there is no finance available to pay the AP. I therefore need to sell mine before taking possession of the new one.

kezo
                      Participant

Why would you think that? This has never happened ever, the new car has new identificators, is likely more expensive, and most importantly doesn’t exist in the MB system. If you order the old variant of the car, the manufacturer delivers the old variant. Either as a factory order, or from stock. A dealership knows which car you’ll be getting and they’ll tell you straight before order which model it’s going to be. The reason he is SOL is that the car has been removed from the scheme, so he’s not eligible for a car from stock.

Hi Rene, hope your well!

I was primarily going off what eventually happened to the Enyak, after it got chamged to the iv80 to iv85 but, I guess it very much depends on the manufacturer.

Matt
                        Participant

If it’s just a face lift and the model stays the same then it shouldn’t be an issue for example i4 sport eDrive 35 keeps the same model name and number then it’s no different to a car changing model year which doesn’t effect your order. It’s sounds more like BMW are just cancelling the orders or if its only happening to a few with cars on order, could it just be the dealerships taking Motability orders and changing the slot to a paying customer? I don’t know but just putting it out there

Ioniq
                          Participant

@mij

Instead of selling your current car, you could part exchange your car with the dealership to cover your AP.  Of course you would have to consult with the dealership and agree a price.

See if it works for you. Ask the dealership who is taking your order.

motabcu23
                            Participant

Hi

Was told by Bmw I would be getting facelift model in July 2024 but was wondering how would the spec etc change, I chose Sanremo green in my original order last year (taking a while) so would Bmw honour their colour or something like to like from their individual colours and spec for facelift as can see the new i4 doesn’t have Sanremo green

72 dudes
                              Participant

Hi Was told by Bmw I would be getting facelift model in July 2024 but was wondering how would the spec etc change, I chose Sanremo green in my original order last year (taking a while) so would Bmw honour their colour or something like to like from their individual colours and spec for facelift as can see the new i4 doesn’t have Sanremo green

My view is that it’s worth asking your dealer.

It doesn’t add up does it? Presumably your order is in the pipeline if you ordered last year.

You’ve been told your car will be a facelift model, but facelift models aren’t available in San Remo green! So what are they building you?

Some serious questions for you dealer I think.

P.S. new colour Cape York green is nice but completely different to San Remo.

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                                2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                                2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Rowls1958
                                Participant

I’m the OP, just for those Posters who said BMW couldn’t change a build car order to a stock car under the same Mobility order (as the car is no longer on the scheme) that is incorrect. Luckily for me they found a stock car very similar to my order and I now have it – so it can be done……

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.