Armed Forces thread

• Creator
    Topic
  • #168853 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I didn’t realise there were so many members of the armed forces on the forum and so it would be great to find out more about you.

Army, Navy or Air force please tell us about you life experiences in the forces and anything else you feel you want to discuss.

I would like to say how grateful I am for putting yourself in harms way to protect our way of life.

Thank you!

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #168972 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ok i will start.

army, started off in royal engineers army apprentice college chepstow under the severn bridge.

transfered to royal army pay corps, command pay office hounslow, also whilst there helped out with the firemans strike green goddesses and all that 1977ish. followed by worthy down,lippstadt,detmold,lisburn,chester,hildesheim and odd bits in the falklands various n ireland tours in londonderry,belfast,hollywood,ballykelly,omagh,armagh,aldergrove. out of 17 years 8 were on various tours in ireland.

units,4 armoured workshop reme,22 signal regiment, 1 regt aac. 1 rhamps.3 r anglian,hqni,rpo chester,1 kings.cpo uklf.

shot at 4 times blown up twice. still here lol.

if it gets popular brydo you may need a translator to differentiate between tabs,yomps,remfs,craphats,brews,bashers,crabs,pongo’s,bft,cft etc etc it really is a different language at times.

#168984 Reply
    brydo

Mitch your a very worthy No1 thanks for sharing some of your service history.

#169066 Reply
    mitch
    Participant
    #169075 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

https://lionlegion.co.uk/collections/Latest-Designs/products/sennylager-unisex -hoodie @rene heres one for you lol

Haha, i might actually order one of them – very true.

Well, i didn’t serve in the UK armed forces, but i did serve in the german one, Bundeswehr – i’ll leave german names etc in and translate after, some people find german compound-words funny. Stationed in the “Generalfeldmarschall Rommel Kaserne” (name of the barracks) in Augustdorf, served in the 4./212 Panzergrenadierbatallion, or 4./212, uhm.. Probably armoured infantry battalion, or mechanized infantry battalion, not quite sure about the english translation.

Position was Bordschuetze Maschinenkanone 20mm (gunner 20mm autocannon) in the SPz Marder 1A5 (jovially known as “Das Eisenschwein” or “the Iron Pig”). The equivalent to that tank would probably be the british Warrior IFV.

Did get deployed in Afghanistan as part of german QRF Forces (quick reaction forces) in Masar e Scharif, as well as two tours to the german river “Oder” as part of flood, uhm.. “containment helpers”. Basically, shovelling sand/filling sand bags, trying to keep the river in its bed.

Our main training area is called “Sennelager” (Mitch has been there, hence him pointing out the hoodie to me), which is the best place on earth – on opposite day. British armed forces train together with german armed forces there. Served a total of 8 years, (2001 to 2009), have been shot at, and the tank i went to Afghanistan with got destroyed by a 200kg IED two years after i left.

Lots of good (and sadly, bad) memories were made in my time in the Bundeswehr.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Armed Forces thread
Your information: