Are we likely to see any corona virus benefits relating to cars on scheme?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #109910 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Many car manufacturers are shutting plants and stopping car production, is there likely to be any benefits to motability customers from this. Obviously the manufacturers are losing billions£ but will they raise prices or will they want as many cars sold as possible?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #109911 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

I wouldn’t like to guess it could go either way.

I assume many people won’t have the spare cash or confidence to be buying cars for a while after this has finished. Although there will be a considerable backlog to get back up to full capcity. This could make certain makes and models more desirable.

So will manufactures discount, try and shift more or raise prices to cover losses?

Current car VW Touran 1.4tsi SEL in Caribbean blue with storm grey interior.

#109913 Reply

martino

They dont have long till prices change

#109914 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

Not sure Q2 will reflect how bad things have got. Manufactures and motability won’t have had a chance to get together yet. I imagine the prices will have been decided some weeks ago more in line with Q1 prices.

But could be wrong.

#109920 Reply

Brydo

They will of course be able to project the loss of earnings based on what they are losing now, and for the next god knows how long.

The scheme is a safe place to do business with 600,000 soles under the umbrella of motability. Manufacturers know they can sell hundreds of cars on the scheme quite quickly, especially if they trim the AP.

#109929 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I think @NewYork01 has hit the nail on the head. It could go either way and it may not be reflected in Q2.
    My thought is that it may be weighted slightly in the favour of lower prices/discounts to keep product moving.

One thing’s for sure, it’s an absolute bloody nightmare.

Keep safe all.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#109931 Reply

Carl

I hope so! We need great offers and reduced APs to attract us onto the scheme in Q2.

One added and unexpected benefit for EV drivers with a home charging point, is that the most prevalent place to catch corona virus is at petrol station fuel pumps as everyone is touching them to fill up.  While EV cars – you are only using your own charging point and therefore there is no chance of cross contamination.

#109933 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

They are indeed Carl well said

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#109939 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

What is not going to help is the fall in the value of the UK Pound against the Euro over the past week or so.

Bearing in mind a lot of cars are built in Europe, it obviously puts up the cost of the vehicles.  Motability and manufacturers have most probably have already tied in the prices for the next quarter before this sudden drop in the Pound, but the pricing quarter after the upcoming one could be interesting.

Unless of course, they carry on with the practice of pulling vehicles off the scheme mid-quarter, re-pricing them and re-listing them again.

Dave

#109956 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Can’t see any possible benefits.

Q2 offerings will at very least be much scaled back because the car plants are shut and prices for any cars ordered will go up as pound goes down.

Only a matter of time before all car dealers shut up shop for months.

Maybe Motability will automatically extend leases and not take any new orders.

#109957 Reply

Phaedra
    Participant

I can see extended leases being an attractive option for Motability, they’ll keep their current revenue stream intact with no real financial cost to themselves.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#109958 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I hope so! We need great offers and reduced APs to attract us onto the scheme in Q2. One added and unexpected benefit for EV drivers with a home charging point, is that the most prevalent place to catch corona virus is at petrol station fuel pumps as everyone is touching them to fill up. While EV cars – you are only using your own charging point and therefore there is no chance of cross contamination.

Funny you should say that Carl, on the way to the petrol station this morning the wife said shame you don’t have your Electric car yet.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#109969 Reply

brydo

Smallcar thanks for cheering all of us up, do you always look on the bright side of life.

All together now.

Some things in life are bad

They can really make you mad

Other things just make you swear and curse

When you’re chewing on life’s gristle Don’t grumble, give a whistle

And this’ll help things turn out for the best

And Always look on the bright side of life

Always look on the light side of life

If life seems jolly rotten

There’s something you’ve forgotten

And that’s to laugh and smile and dance and sing

When you’re feeling in the dumps

Don’t be silly chumps Just purse your lips and whistle, that’s the thing

And Always look on the bright side of life (Come on)

Always look on the right side of life

For life is quite absurd

And death’s the final word

You must always face the curtain with a bow

Forget about your sin

Give the audience a grin

Enjoy it, it’s your last chance anyhow

So always look on the bright side of death

A just before you draw your terminal breath

Life’s a piece of shit

When you look at it

Life’s a laugh and death’s a joke, it’s true

You’ll see it’s all a show

Keep ’em laughin’ as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you

And Always look on the bright side of life Always look on the right side of life (C’mon Brian, cheer up)

Always look on the bright side of life

Always look on the bright side of life

Always look on the bright side of life I mean, what have you got to lose?

You know, you come from nothing You’re going back to nothing

What have you lost? Nothing

Always look on the right side of life Nothing will come from nothing, ya know what they say

Cheer up ya old bugga c’mon give us a grin (Always look on the right side of life)

There ya are, see It’s the end of the film Incidentally this record’s available in the foyer (Always look on the right side of life)

Some of us got to live as well, you know (Always look on the right side of life)

Who do you think pays for all this rubbish (Always look on the right side of life)

They’re not gonna make their money back, you know I told them, I said to him, Bernie, I said they’ll never make their money back (Always look on the right side of life)
    Songwriters: Eric Idle

#109970 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

I hadn’t considered the loss in the pounds valuation but surely as Europe is going through the same issues the euro will be dropping its value as well.

Agree that even if you could order a car at a good price there’s nobody to build them for at least 12 weeks.

The next issue for the car industry, is the UK ending its grace period with European trade market on December 31st with or without a deal (again).

#109972 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

Free pack of antiseptic wipes and a mask at Ford

BMW have really pushed the boat out and you get a 9 pack of Andrex

Its too soon, besides, footfall at dealers will be non-existent, not just Motability, everyone. I expect lots of zero% deals will be on the go on the other side of the crisis.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#109974 Reply

brydo

I am a person who finds it as easy to drink from a glass half full as a glass half empty, so I am being positive about this very negative time in our lives and saying we, on the scheme, will benefit.

#109983 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Brydo

I am by nature a pessimist, so less likely to be disappointed!

Let’s  hope you’re right.

#109989 Reply

brydo

I hope so too lol.

#110239 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

If there are any deals to be done we must be ready to move quickly.

We have seen how quickly deals are removed, so try and have your choices at the ready and, if they appear, pounce.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#110256 Reply

OscarOne

Having just read the thread, “Latest Motability operations update 24/3/20”, I doubt there will even be a Q2 list anytime soon.

For the foreseeable future, minimum as we know is 12 weeks, no new orders will be processed. I predict that the 12 weeks will be extended also. So, 12 weeks, 3 months = Q2.

Reading the said thread further, Motability Operations (MO) are extending leases by SIX months for vehicles due to be returned during the crisis. So, with MO not taking any further orders until further notice, a 12 week shutdown and six month extension, I think it will be a long time before any of us see any benefits, let alone a new car. 🤦‍♂️

#110259 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

It’d be nice if this situation could result in a lift of the current restriction with maybe more cars from the higher price brackets. Nothing to ridiculous but Hyundai Santa Fe, BMW X3, Merc GLC Volvo XC60 to name but a few.

Leather, auto gearboxes and electric tailgate start to be standard equipment in this price bracket which would be of benefit to many different disabilities.

#110266 Reply

OscarOne

@newyork1

I echo everything you’ve wrote, that would be the perfect benefit.

The Sante Fe, Merc  plus others would be ideal. Peugeot and Mitsubishi have vehicles, just to name a few, have vehicles in a higher grade, higher level that cost actually LESS than vehicles on the scheme. Take the Mits Outlander, available on the scheme, with the Shogun Sport, not available. The OTR price of the Outlander is actually way higher than the OTR of at least one Shogun Sport model. As for the price cap, Mits also do the PHEV Exceed, which OTR is £36k.

#110293 Reply

Unclebob
    Participant

I agree with a couple of guys above Motability will have no choice but to extend leases on vehicle as little or no new stock will be available for a long time after the virus has gone, production lines will take a long time to get back upto speed and have to decide if to use components from the Far East or make them closer to home. .

That’s great news and a benefit if you love your vehicle but bad if you can’t see the back of it quick enough !

#110309 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Extensions it is. The only option really.
    I had this text yesterday from Motability.
    **Please, everyone, note the point about not calling Motability unless urgent.**

“COVID-19 Latest: The latest Government announcements will have a major impact, with many dealers closing. As your lease is coming to an end in the next few months, be reassured we will automatically extend this for six months & you will continue to be insured. Please do not call unless you query is urgent as we have a reduced number of advisors & phone lines are busy. Check our FAQs for latest updates. https://www.motability.co.uk/“

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#110312 Reply

martino

i got one as well

#110313 Reply

martino

i just hope the outlander phev or more electiric cars are on in april like kia niro

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Are we likely to see any corona virus benefits relating to cars on scheme?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: