AP in advance

• Creator
    Topic
    Markymate
    Participant

Got a call today from the dealership asking me to pay the full AP up front, I flatly refused, saying that until I’ve seen the car and making sure all’s fine with it, I won’t be paying a penny. He said they needed the payment as they had to arrange the vehicle tax!!  When i pointed out that as a registered disabled vehicle no road tax was needed.  It wasn’t my normal dealer as he is off today.

As I’ve never been ask for AP up front I checked with Motability to make sure where I stand, and was told that it is entirely between the dealership and the customer.

I’ve emailed my normal dealer to contact me when he’s in tomorrow to talk it out, it’s been a really good relationship and don’t won’t it soured by this demand.

Anyone else refused to pay before seeing their new vehicle?

• This topic was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Markymate.
    Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

Been told the same by a Skoda dealer that they would need payment couple of days before handover.

kezo
        Participant

I have been told the same today by Hyundai, that they require a bank tranfer prior to collection.

mitch
          Participant

i have only ever paid on collection day.

MLH
            Participant

Been the same for me with every car I’ve had on the scheme, which has been with Vauxhall.

Told the same for the one I have on order now with VW, too.

warpig
              Participant

Had Motability cars for over 30 years and have never paid a penny before collecting the car.  Currently waiting for a Skoda Enyaq with over £2000 of extras and the dealer has already said he’ll collect the AP at handover.

joss

Like wise, I have never been asked to Pay AP up front from Ford, Bmw,Peugeot, etc etc. I have always paid by Direct debit card, which is instant payment for the dealer, near enough.

Joss
                  Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

kezo
                  Participant

Been the same for me with every car I’ve had on the scheme, which has been with Vauxhall. Told the same for the one I have on order now with VW, too.

This is the second time I have used the same dealer. The first time cash was no problem. This time the same person said payment need to be by bank transfer. I requested that I wanted to pay cash again and in all fairness he went to ask the manager, who just told me they can’t do it anymore sorry!

MLH
                    Participant

Been the same for me with every car I’ve had on the scheme, which has been with Vauxhall. Told the same for the one I have on order now with VW, too.

This is the second time I have used the same dealer. The first time cash was no problem. This time the same person said payment need to be by bank transfer. I requested that I wanted to pay cash again and in all fairness he went to ask the manager, who just told me they can’t do it anymore sorry!

Think I paid cash for one of my Astras, but that would have been 7-10 years ago now.

I might ask if I can this time, just to see what the VW garage policy is.

DumfriesDik
                      Participant

Think I paid something on ordering for a BMW but it did have a few options (it’s BMW after all) on it.

I have paid on the day – how can they take into account the £750 and GCB??

I’d be happy to pay something, but not everything.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Participant

I paid 4 days before I collected my Chr it was Vertu Toyota policy he explained

Steadyhorse
                          Participant

I was asked by Honda for £500 up front when ordering back in January with the rest to be paid on delivery. First time had to pay anything but didn’t mind. New car day fast approaching with the car due to at the dealer next week. Can’t wait.

Participant

Paid on pick up, rang dealer two days before as my card had been cloned, said no problem, organised a cocoon payment on the day for me Vantage Toyota, fourth car on Motability and never paid up front.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

Participant

I paid with debit card over a free coffee and hob nob

John Newton
                                Participant

Just a thought but are MB made to pay early as well? Just a thought

From April 2024 Toyota BZ4X

kezo
                                  Participant

Just a thought but are MB made to pay early as well? Just a thought

Motability state:

You’ll pay it directly to your Motability Scheme dealer, either before or on the day you get your vehicle. If you want to pay by cheque, you need to allow seven days for it to clear first.

How you pay your Advance Payment depends on your dealer:

Bank transfer: every dealer accepts this, but you’ll likely need to send the payment one or two days before you get your vehicle
                                    Debit card: some dealers accept up to £1000 this way, but not every dealer does
                                    Credit card: only a few dealers accept this
                                    Cheque: dealers do not accept these
                                    Cash: most dealers do not accept this, but this is down to each dealer’s discretion

Your dealer will let you not what payment methods they except.

https://www.motability.co.uk/how-it-works/payments/

Robert88
                                    Participant

7th vehicle on scheme and Always paid on day Always been given choice of paying with debit card or cash. I suppose it depends how much AP is because there was probably a limit on how much cash they would accept.

Rich44
                                      Participant

As rare and unlikely as it maybe if you pay that AP over and said dealer ceases trading unless you paid at least £100 by credit card you could easily lose the whole amount.

It’d be different if you pay the AP then get the car days later but when you’re talking 6 months like the Enyaq why should the dealer get to sit on that money they’re only doing it to prop up their bottom line and get the interest.

No way I would pay it up front I’d drive to the next nearest dealer if need be. Too much to lose potentially and Motability should put a stop to it as it leaves us the vulnerable customers exposed.

Again it’s really unlikely yo happen but dealers have ceased trading before so why should bear the risk?

des
                                        Participant

There was a big thread about this sometime ago. Lots of information on it regarding why they may ask for payment upfront.

FiestaRed
                                          Participant

I have had a similar message from my dealership this morning although delivery of my new car is over three months away. If the dealership want payment up front, am I OK to go ahead and cancel my order?

I have always been able to check my car making sure what I ordered is what I’m getting before making any payments at all.

Mother Nature don't draw straight lines, We're broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds..........

Kjid5
                                            Participant

I paid the day before pick up

kezo
                                              Participant

I have had a similar message from my dealership this morning although delivery of my new car is over three months away. If the dealership want payment up front, am I OK to go ahead and cancel my order? I have always been able to check my car making sure what I ordered is what I’m getting before making any payments at all.

Yes you are in your right to cancel however, you can arrange check over the car a day or two before making payment.

You are also protected upto the point prior to entering your PIN. If you choose not to enter it and walk away and the dealer will have to refund your payment within 5 days. How much of a faf this will be if the dealer plays funny buggers is another matter!

FiestaRed
                                                Participant

Yes you are in your right to cancel however, you can arrange check over the car a day or two before making payment. You are also protected upto the point prior to entering your PIN. If you choose not to enter it and walk away and the dealer will have to refund your payment within 5 days. How much of a faf this will be if the dealer plays funny buggers is another matter!

This is more or less what I have done in the past. As soon as the car has arrived with the dealership, I’ve been and checked it over before the they did their PDI. Then, when I’ve agreed, I’ve paid by bankers order and taken delivery a couple of days later.

Mother Nature don't draw straight lines, We're broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds..........

kezo
                                                  Participant

Yes you are in your right to cancel however, you can arrange check over the car a day or two before making payment. You are also protected upto the point prior to entering your PIN. If you choose not to enter it and walk away and the dealer will have to refund your payment within 5 days. How much of a faf this will be if the dealer plays funny buggers is another matter!

This is more or less what I have done in the past. As soon as the car has arrived with the dealership, I’ve been and checked it over before the they did their PDI. Then, when I’ve agreed, I’ve paid by bankers order and taken delivery a couple of days later.

I have arranged to check before PDI this time and will give it a quick once over before entering PIN as usuall 🙂

Rich44
                                                    Participant

Whilst we’re protected from the povof not being committed to taking that vehicle until you enter that pin there’s asfar as I’m aware no protection for return of any deposits it’d be up to us to fight a dealer for a return.

Markymate
                                                      Participant

As some of you have said, I’ve now arranged with my normal dealer to inspect the car when it arrives and if all’s good I’ll pay then. The PDI will already have been done at Stallingborough before transporting to the dealership, so that shouldn’t be a problem.   Don’t think they are too happy, but tough luck.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.