Any Star Trek fans out there? One word – Picard

This topic contains 43 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Winston 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104233 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Watched the first episode of Picard last night and really enjoyed it, yes the captain is getting a bit old but hey he’s not the only one.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104278 Reply

joss
    Participant

Voyager’s Janeway was always my favourite I have to say. While Picard came a very close second.

I have not seen the new Picard as I don’t have Amazon Prime.

\\// live long and prosper

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#104280 Reply

Tharg

Will be watching Adm Picard soon. Post thoughts when done. Just home Cllr Troi (Marina Sirtis) puts in appearance.

Hope Picard is better than ST: Discovery which, despite good thesps, flapped around looking for a heading for 2 or 3 episodes then seemed to take off into all-action-crash-bang-blowing-thing-up universe.

#104283 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Tharg I really enjoyed it last night, its clear a lot of money has been spent on it.

Its early days but for now its a thumbs up.

#104284 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Joss you need to get yourself an android box.

#104293 Reply

Colin
    Participant

I am rarely one to be quite so confrontational but Janeway? Really? Can I have some of what you’re smoking??? lol.  Maybe, possibly as an ambassador but I think she was very lacking as a Captain.

In my opinion, she was, BY FAR the worst Captain ever. I was actually a big Sisko fan, with Picard coming a close second.  I always felt Picard was a little too cerebral, Janeway way too PC, and Kirk was almost laughable at times.  Regarding Discovery, well that was never ABOUT the captain really so I don’t think it counts for this purpose.

As for the new show, I loved it, loved getting to see it a day early thanks to the wonders of internet piracy lol, and just gutted that it’s on Amazon, not Netflix because now I have to wait a week every time for my next fix instead of just locking my wife and son out of my bedroom and disappearing into the show for 18 hours straight lol.  I have both Netflix and Amazon but didn’t want to wait the whole 12 hours before it was officially available, so waiting a week is going to drive me bananas…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104298 Reply

Winston

I grew up watching the Next Generation and still watching if it stumble upon on when I’m channel surfing

in this day of streaming, a million boxed sets etc I can honestly say I’ve never watched one, not Breaking Bad, not Game of Thrones and nothing in between I tend to watch Gold during the day lol , football or documentaries at night and the odd old classic horror/sci fi movie in between

but I did watch Picard and really enjoyed it, as Brydo says he is getting old , but we all are lol

i was pretty excited to hear they were making this series and with Amazons cash I knew it wouldn’t be a half arsed attempt

looking forward to the next one!

oh and my vote for best captain?

Picard all the way 🙌🏻

#104322 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

I enjoyed Picard too, and it seemed to paint a reasonable storyline.

However, will it compare well to The Expanse?

#104331 Reply

Tharg

Watched last night. Well impressed. Probably the best Trek production since TNG. Stewart is a seriously good actor and brought out Picard’s dilemmas and feelings really well. It also has a Proper Story – not just a lot of stuff getting blown to bits. Intriguing – I want to know more about Data’s offspring et al.

Production values exceptional, only to be expected as Winston says, with all Amazon’s dosh. Some lovely touches as well: opening with Crosby’s Blue Skies was just so unexpected, and powerful when the ship pulls overhead. Love Number One, Picard’s dog – breed a bit difficult to ID but since he’s a vineyard pooch perhaps he’s a Chatueauneuf du Pup? (Sorry, couldn’t resist it).

Shall watch more with enthusiasm and hope to see more of the librarian, like to be her friend!

#104334 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Pretty sure the dog is a Pit Bull – I watched the official aftershow programme hosted by Wil Wheaton (The Ready Room – available on youtube and Facebook if you do some digging) and he made a point of talking about the dog as he is connected to a Pit Bull rescue setup

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104337 Reply

Tharg

Thanks, Colin. Mrs Tharg (dog expert) thought pitbull also, perhaps with a touch of mastiff. Nice looking chap, anyway. Pleased to hear that someone is running a rescue for them. Cliche, I know, but it’s the owners who are the villains, not the dogs.

We have a lovely Staffie bull terrier bitch. She was scheduled to be destroyed not because she’d done anything wrong, just because she’s a bull breed. Luckily we got to her in time and she is really the softest, soppiest, most unaggressive pooch ever.

#104340 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I don’t know if I’m just old school Colin but I like the week long wait, it is the way it should be.

In this day of excesses it is just another one of the many to get all episodes of a season in one hit.

Waiting with excitement and anticipation for the next episode builds the anticipation and the overall pleasure of a series.

#104360 Reply

Colin
    Participant

The thing with me is, I am always running around like a lunatic (well wheeling if there’s any distance lol) and I don’t have the flexibility to watch at the same time every week kinda thing. I don’t actually watch ANY broadcast tv at all, it’s all stream or download for me. If it wasn’t for the wife who NEEDS a tv on ALL THE TIME for background noise (grumble mumble) I’d scrap my TV licence.

I don’t binge watch for hours and hours lol, despite my earlier post but if I do get a couple free hours I like to be able to make use of them which is when I do watch a few in a row.  I’m currently re-watching Voyager on Netflix and I’m just into season 4 after nearly 3 weeks, so definitely not massive sessions.

Another note about the dog for those interested, the director mentioned it’s a badly trained (screenwise) rescue – apparently it was dropped from several scenes just to save hassle lol

#104388 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Going slightly off topic but still with sci fi, anyone ever watch “Fringe”?

#104415 Reply

joss
    Participant

Ahem my daughter says we have amazon prime on telly. so I will watch Picard this evening.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#104419 Reply

Noel

@brydo

used to love Fringe, gutted when it ended

#104425 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Haha joss are you getting past it lol.

Noel I am watching season 1 again just now it’s amazing how you forget lots of the story.

#104430 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Joss, not sure how to respond lol – I guess the question that comes to mind is “Are you the one paying for it?” or does your daughter have a Prime account and has set it up on the main TV? 😛

#104431 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Source: IGN.com

“Star Trek: Picard star Patrick Stewart has shared the story behind his new Number One, explaining why Jean-Luc has a canine companion in the new series and how they settled on a pit bull for the pint-sized part.
    Speaking to StarTrek.com, Stewart opened up about the creative decision of adding a dog to the cast line-up of the Star Trek show, as he suggested Picard’s four-legged friend serves to reveal something deeper about the retired captain of the Enterprise.

“I wanted a dog because I have, only in the last four years, renewed my acquaintance with dogs,” Steward confessed in the interview. “I had a dog, a border collie, when I was little and nothing since then. I thought all we need to do is to have a dog at Picard’s side. And that, without any dialogue or any dramatic reference, will say a lot about this man, that he now has a dog always at his side.”

As an avowed pit bull rescue enthusiast, Stewart revealed he had some influence over the decision of which breed was going to be selected for the Admiral’s pet, admitting his strong association with pit bulls helped to determine the outcome.

“Well, I am obsessed with pit bulls. What a dog, and how ill-used they have been, appalling used,” he explained. “In England, they’re a banned breed. I adopted my first pit bull and we already were excited about the thought of taking her back to England, and we couldn’t do it. They won’t be let in the country. I even talked to the British Embassy in Washington about it and they said, ‘There’s nothing we can do.’

“I’m now part of a campaign working in the UK to get this legislation changed because they are the most sensitive, the most loving, the most giving, the most affectionate creatures that you could ever possibly hope to meet.”
    In the new series, Picard awards his pooch the affectionate nickname of “Number One”, as a reference to the informal title of a second-in-command officer aboard a Starfleet ship. In the original Star Trek: The Next Generation, William Riker (played by Jonathan Frakes) starred as the second-in-command to Picard and was frequently referred to as Number One.”

#104432 Reply

Tharg

Also off-topic, a bit, but has anyone come across a sci-fi writer as good as the late and much lamented Iain M Banks? His work, particularly the Culture series, was simply amazing – inventive, intriguing, full of wonderful characters and never afraid to indulge in a witty sense of humour. The latter being terribly lacking in almost all modern “worthy” SF.

#104433 Reply

Noel

Corny I know but I used to love “Grim” too

#104434 Reply

Colin
    Participant

In my teens, back when you had to go to the library and read a book made out of PAPER of all things…. I read insane amounts of Heinlein

Not so much an Author recommendation as a series one (although admittedly he didn’t publish a lot outside of the series), I have read the entire Hope series by David Feintuch at least a dozen times. I tend to go back and re-read them every couple of years and I still have paper copies of those (although I have bought them on the Kindle which is how the last couple of read-throughs were facilitated)…

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Colin.

#104447 Reply

Winston

I’ve never been a massive reader , and ill admit that I’ve not read a book in about 10 years 🙈

but one of the first books I read as in chose to read was Complicity by Iain Banks, I must’ve been about 20 and a fried gave me a couple of his to read , thoroughly enjoyed

reading is something I did enjoy on the rare occasion I picked up a book ( usually on holiday )

but I have the attention span of a midge, and motivation of something much smaller lol

but maybe one day I’ll stick a few lumps of coal into my ears and try get the old grey matter fired up again 🙈🤣

#104464 Reply

Tharg

Thanks, everyone. Noel – not corny at all. Not read ’em myself but a good idea in there.

Colin – I remember those book-place thingeys, yup, libraries. Did the same as you with all the greats, inc Heinlein; found his early stuff great but recently came across a bunch of later work which seemed to be all pan-galactic shagging and poorly done. Will try the Hope series – Hornblower in space?

Winston – will take a look at Complicity. Love Banks’ SF work. Tried a few of his “conventional” novels and was disappointed

#104519 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Honestly, the Hope series is the least sciency science-fiction I’ve ever read – the spaceships and alien planets are little more than the place the stories take place.  I’m not going to put up any spoilers but ONE of the books contains a sub-story, and one line of it is the only time I can ever remember being absolutely stunned and shocked by a line of text in a book. I was on a train when I read it and I actually dropped the book…

#104550 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

In a short answer to the thread, No!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
Reply To: Any Star Trek fans out there? One word – Picard

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: