Any Star Trek fans out there? One word – Picard

This topic contains 43 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Winston 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104233 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Watched the first episode of Picard last night and really enjoyed it, yes the captain is getting a bit old but hey he’s not the only one.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104568 Reply

Tharg

Back on topic, a bit anyway. As well as Picard, I also tried Avenue 5 this week. Oh, maybe it’s just me being exposed to Red Dwarf for so many years, but I found it really awful. I’ve great respect for the likes of Hugh Laurie and Rebecca Front, fine actors wasted putting on American accents in a most unamusing show.

Can anyone other than Red Dwarf and Hitch Hiker’s (and the much-missed Farscape) do SF comedy? Not yet, it seems.

#104570 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Can’t agree more Tharg, absolute rubbish.

Did you see him in Chance, Hugh Laurie that is, as Dr Eldon Chance. I thought it was really good and he was excellent.

#104572 Reply

joss
    Participant

Yep same here regarding the Avenue 5. Comedy I don’t think so. Filed under Rubbish also

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#104573 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

They have obviously spent a lot of money on it but to me a comedy should make you laugh and all I did was cringe.

#104580 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Watching episode 2 right now and the one thing which keeps making me smile is the (IMO long overdue) swearing in star trek lol. No, I don’t think you truly ever NEED to swear, but there’s no denying that, in everyday real life, people DO swear…

There was an F-Bomb!!! Not just S’s lol

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104625 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

First episode 8 out of 10

Second episode 5 out of 10, disappointed.

#104705 Reply

Tharg

Morning all…  yes, saw Lawrie in Chance. Quite brilliant, as indeed he was in Holmes.. sorry, House. Also in Night Manager. He’s one of those really annoying people who will turn their hand to absolutely anything and be able to do it perfectly, in his case from wild comedy through serious drama to jazz piano and guitar. In Ave 5 he just looks sadly embarrased.

Looking forward to latest Picard (Amazon tonight), with new added ingredient, Swearing. Surely, many centuries in future, we’d have new swear-words? How about “Snut” as a euphemism for F-word? Maybe “Scrotnig” for B****cks. Farscape did it, I think, with “Frel”.

#104786 Reply

Colin
    Participant

I wasn’t as impressed with the second episode either but, the first one was so over-expected hopes were artificially high, and it makes sense that they had to do some fleshing out of the story in the second episode – definitely won’t stop me watching more…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104789 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Me neither Colin.

#105603 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Episode 3, more meh – gotta get it’s act together if it’s going to live up to the hype or even the promise of Episode 1 – going to keep watching but at this point, it’s getting to be out of stubbornness rather than fandom…

#105641 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

Finally got to watch episode 2 (snooker and tennis got in the way) and agree that is was disappointing.  Stewart is still brilliant to watch and hear but script/plot lets it down. Seems the writers are saying “look and see all our super new characters” and just forgetting to make anything happen. Will give it another couple of episodes before giving up. Picard’s new former colleague in final scenes looks promising, though.

That said, I really like the titles score. Completely different from all the other STs but still works. I reckon the best titles ever were Voyager with Gerry Goldsmith’s music. They were like a story all of their own.

#105643 Reply

Brydo

Will be watching episode 3 tonight.

#105731 Reply

joss
    Participant

As will I

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#105757 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

I’d like to as well but, again, snooker might intervene.

#107219 Reply

Tharg

OK, finally got to episode 3. Fairly intrigued by happenings therein. Raffi seems a worthwhile character who could develop very well. The pilot chappie’s range of Holograms could do with some attention to their accents – Irish, English or what? Nearly as bad as Attenborough in Jurassic.

Worry that there might be too many plot strands bashing into one another but will see. Stewart, as ever, holds the whole thing together very well. Looking forward to Seven-of-Nine next week(?).

#107225 Reply

Colin
    Participant

It isn’t a series, and I wonder if that’s going to be an issue going forward. There is nothing episodic about it – traditionally in Trek, there was the long term purpose of the show – TOS and TNG general exploration, DS9 border protection, Voyager getting home etc. then there were sub-stories, usually complete in a single episode, occasionally a two-parter, and on the odd occasion, a flashback to something from a while ago. Picard is absolutely not done in this vein – it’s basically the longest Trek movie ever, split into bits. You can’t watch one episode without having seen EVERY episode or it just doesn’t make sense. Not sure how that’ll pan out long-term. In the world of modern tv, ratings are everything, and I can’t see how this can go up as anyone watching a random episode is probably unlikely to continue as it’ll make almost no sense. There will, however, most likely be people who get sick of it, or forget it, or who just aren’t that invested who will fade away. The very best outcome would be for it to maintain it’s ratings week on week, but I think it may gradually drop.

I was extremely optomistic for this, really looked forward to it, and while I watched Episode 5 tonight, it was only my wife asking if I had access to it yet that even made me go get it, and I can’t say I’m looking forward to episode 6. I’ll probably watch it just because it’s Star Trek and not horrible, but I have long moved on from the “can’t believe I have to wait a week” anticipation and am now firmly in the “Meh, I’ll probably watch it at some point” category – probably not what the show creators are hoping for…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Colin.

#107274 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Just watched episode four, well I say watched but I turned it off after fifteen minutes, rubbish, so disappointed.

#107946 Reply

Winston

That’s us up to episode 6, I enjoyed tonight’s one

Bit of action atleast tonight 👍🏻

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
Reply To: Any Star Trek fans out there? One word – Picard

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: