All our yesterday’s.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #142560 Reply
    brydo

Was sitting thinking of how things have changed over the years, playing football in the street as there were no cars, coal delivered in sacks off a horse and cart, one/two TV channels on a black and white TV, with a terrible picture, 4 penny sweets for a penny, ten Bob notes, woman not allowed in the pub, the list goes on and on.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #142564 Reply
    Georgie

Everyone I knew had a bike and we’d disappear for the entire day armed with a cheese sandwich, a bottle of orange squash and tuppence for the ‘phone box.  We used to go miles!

#142576 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Bike? Cheese sandwich? Absolute luxury. We had wooden scooters rolling on ball-bearings and Jubblies!

#142582 Reply
    Brydo

I never, ever, had a bike, my older brother had one but not sure what happened to it.

We had an outside toilet until I was 14, it wasn’t much fun at anytime but in the winter it was Baltic.

#142587 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Tin bath hanging on yard wall. Brought in once a week to be place in kitchen and filled from the gas “copper” – a tub capable of warming some ten gallons. Emptying it was not easy.

#142617 Reply
    joss

Jumpers for goal posts. Long Sunday walks with the gang. Miles and miles. Knew where all the swim holes where on our treks.

Bikes not many had them. Those that did were hybrids made up of various other scrap bikes. No tyres on back wheel was fun. Off to Cusworth hall and a very steep hill down to the lake. Who was the bravest? an old 4 wheeled pram chassis was awesome fun going down the hill. Fishing in the lake with a bit of line on a wooden peg was always carried.

All the old games like British bulldog, Husky fusky finger or thumb. Cricket, football. Throwing arrows. to name a few. Harvest time brought stealing the farmers  peas and selling them on. Same for spuds.

Camp fires and spuds baked in mud awesome.

I could go on. I loved my childhood.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#142627 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

yes tharg, 1966 moved from sheffield to woodhouse 2 bed terrace mum dad 3 kids and one on the way.

outside lav 30 ft down the garden no outside lights so a nightmare in the dark either that or pee in a pot lol.

tin bath on  the back of the kitchen door and the copper to fill it thank goodness i was the eldest at least my water started clean.

mile and a half walk to school but out the back of the house a huge wild hill fantastic fun in the hols and an orchard just down the lane.

these days social services would be crawling all over but they were great times, everyone from those days says they were happy times.

#142630 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

This is a brilliant topic. Nostalgiafest. Love it!

“Book and skate” down Dog Kennel Hill near Dulwich Park Sarf London: take old hardback book, foolscap size or larger. Put it on single roller-skate. Put self on top of both. Point downhill. Push off. Scare living daylights out of self and people waiting at bus stop. If you had any skin left on knuckles you weren’t doing it right!

Anyone remember Mivvies?

#142636 Reply
    jamesg

Strawberry  Mivvies ?

#142637 Reply
    Brydo

Do you guys down south know the word “tick”? When you had no money and needed food from the local shop you got it on “tick”. Every Friday you had to pay the amount you owed then on Saturday it started all over again.

An early version of a credit card lol.

#142652 Reply
    joss

We had a chap called Mr Thompson who had a converted coach. He was a mobile shop. He provided a service based on “Tick” but not solely. The service he provided helped out many families put a meal on the table until payday. The Tick would then be repaid and books cleared. He only made a small charge for this service.

He truly was a fantastic, social minded chap.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#142655 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@jamesg Definitely strawberry, although it is alleged there were other flavours, orange and raspberry, but not in our shops. Don’t actually believe it but Google says they are still on sale although made by a different firm.

#142658 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Origin of “on tick” is said to derive from the shopkeeper keeping a list of who owes what amount and, when payment is made, ticking them off the list. Seems logical?

#142672 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Like most of us here, cars and driving stuff are things on which I am enthusiastic. Same applied when I was a nipper. Had a little Triang pedal car but what I really wanted was unattainable, way too pricey. I present the Austin J40 pedal car…

Proper pneumatic tyres, bakelite steering wheel, even a rocker cover and spark plugs under bonnet to simulate engine. The Porsche of its day, i.e. everyone wanted one but few had ’em. This one was up for sale on Ebay at a starting price of £3,250. Have seen them at over £5K – more than you’d pay for a real A40!

#142729 Reply
    jamesg

The  4 for  a penny  sweets  in  my  area  were  Black  jacks  and  fruit  salad .  Frys  made  chocolate  cream  bars  i  think  i can  remember  the  same  size  of  bar  with  different  flavours  what  was  it  called ?

#142732 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

try /oldestsweetshop.co.uk

ive made up “selection boxes” from here as xmas presents for my siblings of all the sweets we had as kids.

i confess i get the odd order for myself through out the year lol.

#142733 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

How very middle class, Tharg.  We used to make trollies from old pram wheels…

#142746 Reply
    brydo

We had a shop on the corner “Galbraith’s” I think it was called. They had a big mound of butter, if you wanted butter they had two wooden paddles and they cut a piece off the mound and “slapped” the piece into a rectangular shape before wrapping it and passing it to you. Actually a form of art.

#142748 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I remember the same thing Brydo. The paddles were kept in water and some grocers were very skilled at adding  water to the butter while they were patting it into shape.

#142751 Reply
    brydo

I also remember the good old days when slapping your kids was a pass time not to be frowned on lol.

I remember my mother hit me over the head with a broom, ouch.

#142755 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That explains so very much, Brydo…

#142764 Reply
    Brydo

What’s your excuse 🤪

#142765 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Birmingham, I think.

#142767 Reply
    Brydo

I think it’s good to be able to blame someone or in your case a place.

Blaming the parents is always my go to choice.

#142775 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yeah, the Austin was a bit poncey, I suppose. We too used to make our own “soap box carts” using pram wheels (although orange boxes were better, more sturdy). Looked much like this:

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: All our yesterday’s.
Your information: