all electric next

• Creator
    Topic
    Jonnybones
    Participant

Hello apologies as I am sure this has been posted before but I don’t get onto the forum very often.

I am 90% sure my next car in 6 months will be all electric and I am wondering what happens with the charger and installation cost do I have to pay for it?

Thanks Jon

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      tvs
      Participant

The charger & standard instalation is provided by Motability free. (subject to survey) We got our 1st EV car end of January, wouldn’t go back to anything else.

2024 - KIA EV6 GT Line AWD
        2019 - 2024 BMW X1 2.0d X Drive Sport Auto
        2017 -2019 Audi Q3 2.0d Quattro Sport Line Plus
        2005 - 2017 Honda CRV Exec 2.0d

Jonnybones
        Participant

Thank you

Participant

Got our first ev in March this year, like @tvs wouldn’t go back. Charger was not a standard fitting, needed to go from front to back of the house and cost us an extra £330, but it was worth it to be able to charge at home.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

kmb786
            Participant

Had smart meter installed last week and all working and sending updates to Octopus.

Ohme pre-installation survey guy came out last Thursday and said it’s a straight forward install and they will install their own seperate fuse box.

Had a call yesterday to confirm charger install next Friday 30/5/24.

Our car (bZ4X) will be available to collect first week of June so good timing with everything.

Once it arrives hopefully will move to Octopus Intelligent Go tariff.

MFillingham
              Participant

As said a standard install is part of the Motability package.  They say a standard install is through one wall and up to 15m of cable and attach the charger to an existing wall.  Anything beyond standard is for you to pay and Ohme will expect their installers to do the whole job, so you’re paying their prices even if you could get some done cheaper.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

DumfriesDik
                Participant

I’d never go back either. Had to pay £700+ for a non-standard installation.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Rich44
                  Participant

Got messed about by BP as it was back the, they lied to motability too so I got a Hypervolt charger installed for £700 and MB paid for it.

Whilst waiting it’s worth checking you house fuse see if it’s 100A or not and you can ask the DNO to upgrade it free whilst you’re waiting some with u looping if you and a neighbour are fed off one cable it’ll speed up the install.

If you’ve already got 100A then install is pretty straightforward only takes a few hours

kezo
                    Participant

Whilst waiting it’s worth checking you house fuse see if it’s 100A

You can’t check the fuse just by looking at the rating on the fse carrier mate, as this just indicates the “maximum” fuse the carrier rating.

Some DNO’s may have their own label over the carrier stating the fuse rating but these are often older labels pre privatised, however labels stating the size of the fuse are starting to make a return, with some DNO’s, since upgrades were required for chargepoints 🙂

Tosher
                      Participant

Hi, can I ask what a non-standard installation is? I’m about to get my house rewired and they asked if I wanted to include the wiring for an EV (not the charger)

at a cost of £150. Not sure if this would be included in the standard charger installation?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Tosher.
                        Jonnybones
                        Participant

Thanks for all the info from everyone, to be honest I certainly cant pay up to £700 extra on top if it comes to that. I guess the final price would be in a survey before I committed?

kezo
                          Participant

Thanks for all the info from everyone, to be honest I certainly cant pay up to £700 extra on top if it comes to that. I guess the final price would be in a survey before I committed?

Is your meter box outside or is it in a meter cupboard inside the house and on an outside wall?

From where your meter is how far away would you want th charger fitting?

Rich44
                            Participant

@kezo ours was labelled up depends on your DNO I guess or who fitted it etc, i know the marking can mean the max rating ours was proper labelled up even got voltage drop etc written on it. What I meant was phone the DNO to check, that’s how you find out. They’ll also be able to tell you if your supply is looped and if they don’t have records they can send someone out to check.

Participant

@Jonnybones Motability will arrange for a pre survey with Ohme, I had one as I needed to know it was okay as electric meter at front and park at the back, they gave us a ball park figure, ended up being a bit more but that was okay, was an all day job. Also on a loop with next door but we are first, and that wasn’t a problem either, Ohme is set at 60 amp, main fuse 60/80 amp, if next door want an ev will have to be unlooped then.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

northwales1
                                Participant

Negotiate and don’t be afraid to complain to motability/Ohme if the installers give you a quote that’s really high too. First company we had out to quote kept changing the price (went from ‘about £60’ to ‘maybe £130’) and couldn’t give a date for installation, Ohme cancelled them and moved us to another installer who quoted £500 which I thought was sky high as we needed an under 15m run and just two holes drilled through wooden door frames and maybe 8m of trunking – Ohme accepted it was a high price and had a third company come out, they quoted £177 which I was happy with paying.

The process still isn’t perfect as there doesn’t seem to be a set of guidelines on pricing which clearly means some companies will offer inflated prices – the company that quoted us £500 had very generic things on the invoice like ‘ladder hire’ which I had to query as our entire install was going to be at skirting board level with the fuse box and charging port both about 5 feet up the wall!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.