A big win for Korea

• Creator
    Topic
  • #174645 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

I want to preface this by saying I don’t work for Hyundai/Kia I’m just a fan of their vehicles.

So I’ve just read a small opinion piece from auto express that echos my current feeling, which is that the Hyundai motor group which comprises Hyundai and Kia are currently making some of the best cars currently available at “sensible” prices. I know both the cars listed in the article aren’t on the scheme (yet, but we can hope) but the cars we do have from both companies are some of the best value for money and offer a lot of car for not a huge amount of money except for the tuscon which has a high AP. Here’s the short article https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/opinion/357107/best-car-world-korean

I’m intending to write a short review when I hand back my current Ioniq to let people know that badge snobbery is probably keeping people from some great cars.

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #174651 Reply
    joss

Spot on there Xz130 You get a lot of car for your money.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#174655 Reply
    Psuader

Korea is showing the Europeans- particularly dullard VW-  how to do it. Good for them.

#174656 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

We are seeing a changing of the guard.

#174658 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

We are seeing a changing of the guard.

I think South Korea are just holding the baton until the Chinese join the race, they are still in training but once they hit the track – new world record.

#174661 Reply
    joss

I am worried that if I get a made in china car, they may take control of it! 🤣🤣🤣

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#174664 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Korea is showing the Europeans- particularly dullard VW- how to do it. Good for them.

Indeed. I never give VW a thought when choosing a new car. Haven’t done for over a decade. Their design team should all be fired. The last good looking car from VW was the Sirocco.

#174666 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

Korea is showing the Europeans- particularly dullard VW- how to do it. Good for them.

Indeed. I never give VW a thought when choosing a new car. Haven’t done for over a decade. Their design team should all be fired. The last good looking car from VW was the Sirocco.

The only reason I was looking at the ID.3 was because of its cheap price, now it isn’t on the scheme I’m slightly glad I won’t be driving an awkward looking box.

Current car

#174667 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

The only reason I was looking at the ID.3 was because of its cheap price, now it isn’t on the scheme I’m slightly glad I won’t be driving an awkward looking box.

Having test driven the Kona and ID.3, for me the Kona was the winner. VW need to spruce up the interior of the ID.3.

#174668 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

Hi fwippers, I too drove the ID.3 and found it rather lacklustre inside and found the lack of any physical controls for the fan and heater systems to be a problem whilst driving. The kona isn’t a performance car but its seats were very comfortable whilst holding me securely and it still has physical controls. I can’t wait until mine gets delivered.

Current car

#174669 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

This must be a different KIA company from the one who built my current KIA Carens Motability car.

It’s not that there bad cars but like VW and Seat’s I’ve had on Motability, KIA have there niggles but overall the KIA, VW and Seat cars have been very reliable cars.

#174701 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Hi fwippers, I too drove the ID.3 and found it rather lacklustre inside and found the lack of any physical controls for the fan and heater systems to be a problem whilst driving. The kona isn’t a performance car but its seats were very comfortable whilst holding me securely and it still has physical controls. I can’t wait until mine gets delivered.

For me the cabin is important and I too found the lack of physical controls an issue, especially for something simple like changing the temperature. Whilst the Kona interior is nothing to write home about, it is logical, well fitted and the overall materials pretty good. Being totally honest, VW have missed a trick with the interiors of the ID.3 and 4 which are a little basic and “low rent”. It was a pity because the car drove really well and the 77KwH has a range of 336 from memory.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by fwippers.
    #174704 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

I’d definitely agree with you about the feeling of the ID.3 cabin. Maybe that’s how they got the car to a reasonable price point, by cheaping out on the end user experience.

Current car

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: A big win for Korea
Your information: