Windscreen woes

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  George 5 days, 1 hour ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #98003 Reply

Imiller9
    Participant

Up to now have loved all the tech on our Skoda Octavia L&K, but unfortunately the screen cracked while overtaking on the motorway. Not a big crack, maybe 4inches but apparently it means a new screen. Auto glass say I cannot be fixed at home because all of that lovely tech includes sensors,cameras in the screen for the lane keeping, cruise control etc and once the new screen is fitted and dries, it then has to all be recalibrated to make it accurate. 3 or 4 hours in an Autoglass centre in a trading estate near nowhere .
    My wife, whose name the car is in, can drive there but no way is she physically able to sit around for that length of time. So it’ll have to wait until I’m available in two weeks time. Frustrating.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #98034 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I had to do this for Mrs Wigwam’s car two years ago. Sitting around for 2 or 3 hours in an Autoglass workshop in the middle of a trading estate with not even a drinks vending machine or a magazine to read. Autoglass know how to treat their customers when you don’t have any choice.  I complained but nothing changed.

#98040 Reply

Ian M

I just felt, and decided to post, that it doesn’t particularly seem suitable for disabled customers. We are lucky that we are able to do it on our partners behalf but not everyone has somebody available to do this kind of running around. I might have, maybe unreasonably, expected that when Motability or the Insurance chose Autoglass as their windscreen repair company they would negotiate some kind of collect and deliver service similar to dealers with servicing etc.

#98041 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

My only experience with Motability and having the windscreen changed was with my 61 plate Seat Leon 1.6 Tdi SE on the day I had finished my holiday in Dorset and just before leaving noticed a crack from the bottom of the screen and halfway up the screen.

With car loaded with suitcases and mobility scooter I decided to get the screen renewed when I got home because the journey from West Bay to Bristol is all A and B roads so no strain on the screen.

Went I got home I called Auto-Glass and they said they would come to my home and change the screen and they asked what car and model and I told them it’s the SE trim with the sensors for lights and auto wipers on the screen.

Simple enough I thought and the guy turns up less than an hour later and examined the damaged and went to his van and returned a minute later to tell he only got the standard screen and I said “yes that’s for the S trim but I did tell them it was the SE with the sensors”.

He went away and came back a couple of hours later with the correct screen so I was good to go eventually except he damaged the trim down the side of the cars screen that covers the gap there so had to come back the next day to put those in.

All I can say is lucky I did not call them before setting off for home from my holiday.

#98062 Reply

JS

in some circumstances like this if given notice Motability can arrange for a hire car to be dropped off tat the auto Glass centre, i would give them a call and explain the situation, make sure you tell them it has to be replaced which in turn deems it unsafe and your anxious with the colder weather using the car and waiting any longer than necessary. They may also be able to have your vehicle picked up, it’s a one on one situation/conversation with Motability to sort out.

#98065 Reply

Philjb

I had a nightmare with Autoglass a few years ago. The fitter turned up with the screen to our Audi A4, great I thought, we looked around the car and he noted no damage inside or out.
    I said I’d make him a coffee so went in to leave him to it.
    my wife was watching out of the window and she saw the fitter get in the car, put both boots up on the screen and boot the glass out, causing it to shatter everywhere.
    she called me as the doorbell went, the fitter said the screen broke as he tried to lift it out. I told him my wife had watched him boot it from inside.
    I went out to look and he’d damaged the dashboard, scratched the touchscreen on the radio. Cut himself and bled all over my seat and carpets and steering wheel, broke the rear view mirror with all the sensors and to top it off scratched the paint on both wings the bonnet and the uprights each side of the screen and all the vents were full of glass.
    Then it rained.

He apologised gave me his managers mobile to ring and drove away???!!

understandably I was so angry I thought I’d pop a vein.

Anyway it took weeks and several attempts to get everything sorted.

But I have to say I’ve had screens fitted since with no problems, thank god.

#98130 Reply

Andy
    Participant

I had a nightmare with Autoglass a few years ago. The fitter turned up with the screen to our Audi A4, great I thought, we looked around the car and he noted no damage inside or out. I said I’d make him a coffee so went in to leave him to it. my wife was watching out of the window and she saw the fitter get in the car, put both boots up on the screen and boot the glass out, causing it to shatter everywhere. she called me as the doorbell went, the fitter said the screen broke as he tried to lift it out. I told him my wife had watched him boot it from inside. I went out to look and he’d damaged the dashboard, scratched the touchscreen on the radio. Cut himself and bled all over my seat and carpets and steering wheel, broke the rear view mirror with all the sensors and to top it off scratched the paint on both wings the bonnet and the uprights each side of the screen and all the vents were full of glass. Then it rained. He apologised gave me his managers mobile to ring and drove away???!! understandably I was so angry I thought I’d pop a vein. Anyway it took weeks and several attempts to get everything sorted. But I have to say I’ve had screens fitted since with no problems, thank god.

I hope you didn’t make him that coffee!

#98183 Reply

Philjb

Andy no he never hung around long enough. I guess he wasn’t thirsty?

#98258 Reply

George

Is what it is……

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Windscreen woes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: