Why so many electric things on EVs?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #137588 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

Am I the only one that ponders why makers seem to want to make as many operations and items on their EVs as possible electrically operated?

Now I appreciate that within this particular forum things being done automatically for you, at the push or flick of a switch, might be more appreciated than on average etc. But let’s be realistic, we’re a minority within the overall market.

So when I see reviewers showing powered tailgates, powered this that and the other, even a powered sliding center console on the Nissan Ariya, I think, surely we’re better to eliminate battery need, not increase it?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137592 Reply
    Landyman

Good point. I also think that’s why ev’s seem to be more expensive compared to ice cars.

#137593 Reply
    Dellboy

Yes take out the heating system too no need for that …save you miles  😆

#137594 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

They have to do something to persuade people to buy them!

#137632 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

They’re more expensive because the manufacturers make them so through choice. Many evs cost less to produce than their petrol counterparts but of course most of their profit comes from petrol/diesel car sales. As things stand manufacturers are not too keen to steer consumers away from this sector.

#137637 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That’s quite an assertion, Richard. I’d be interested to see any evidence you have to back it up.

#137647 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Well one example would be a video from the guy on ‘The fully charged show’on You tube. Not saying he knows everything but he is a well known, respected advocate of evs. He made this very statement when testing the Corsa E.

#137657 Reply
    Southamman

It’s what the buyers want. Of course, you don’t have to use them.

#137661 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Richard, I watched the YouTube video.   I don’t agree with his conspiracy theory at all.  It’s known that EV production is limited by battery manufacturing capacity and there is ongoing massive investment in new production facilities. Manufacturers may well be pricing high to limit demand but as soon as there’s a free supply of batteries, prices are sure to drop, as you would expect in a competitive market.  Let’s hope so anyway.

#137674 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Maybe it’s to take your mind off constantly worrying about running out of charge?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Why so many electric things on EVs?
Your information: