What Is The Most Important Thing To You When Driving…

• This topic has 24 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Bandit.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #84212 Reply
    Duggie

Apart from your passengers of course, what is the most important thing to you when driving?

With all the technology at your finger tips, the press of a button on the steering wheel and leccy handbrake there is a lot of spec to get use to every three years. I am heavy built and so for me the most important thing is a a good seat for driving in which can be hard to find on modern cars as they don’t seem to cater for the larger frame. Any recommendation would be warmly welcomed. I also like the leccy handbrake and the hill hold but one thing I think should be standard on all cars is the HUD (head up display) which keeps the eyes and concentration on the road.

What’s the most important thing for you when looking for a car now or in the future?

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #84213 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Didn’t realise how useful the digital Speedo is to me. I just love reading the speed in numbers and not looking at a dial.

Automatic transmission and cruise control is a must.

#84214 Reply
    Macca

Definitely Auto and Cruise, but would ideally want Adaptive Cruise on the next.

#84216 Reply
    Macca

Plus sat nav

#84219 Reply
    Ian

Tunes and air-conditioning……

#84220 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

I would say the wife, but since she doesn’t read this forum I don’t have to.

Current car: VW Tiguan R-Line Tech auto in nice shiny black. 🙂

#84221 Reply
    Landyman
    1. Auto box but I would miss the head up display I have fitted to the X1, all the info you need is there speed, Sat nav and lesser stuff like radio, phone.
    #84225 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

A must have. Gary Moore, Queen or meatloaf blasting through good speakers ?

#84236 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Duggie your making me cry? ??

Electronic hand brake plus Auto-Hold was a must on my short list last year and was told without doubt that the car I ordered had it but it turned out it didn’t, long story.

It’s something I can get by without but it really is God sent in the VAG cars and my last car with EHB was a VW Golf and in the 4 years I drove that car I must of only ever touched the handbrake 10 times if that.

Next time around I will just refuse the car if they pull that stroke again but to be honest I’m not 100% sure the dealer simply did not know that the MY19 model I should have had with EHB was dropped from KIA’s line up because of WLTP so I had a MY 18 model delivered instead that never ever had EHB but that’s another long story.

I’ve got used to the old twentieth century handbrake technology again now but I still curse every now and again having no use of left hand and having to reach over to release that massive lever thing. ?

#84240 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

Duggie your making me cry?  Electronic hand brake plus Auto-Hold was a must on my short list last year and was told without doubt that the car I ordered had it but it turned out it didn’t, long story. It’s something I can get by without but it really is God sent in the VAG cars and my last car with EHB was a VW Golf and in the 4 years I drove that car I must of only ever touched the handbrake 10 times if that. Next time around I will just refuse the car if they pull that stroke again but to be honest I’m not 100% sure the dealer simply did not know that the MY19 model I should have had with EHB was dropped from KIA’s line up because of WLTP so I had a MY 18 model delivered instead that never ever had EHB but that’s another long story. I’ve got used to the old twentieth century handbrake technology again now but I still curse every now and again having no use of left hand and having to reach over to release that massive lever thing.

If you drive an automatic, you don’t really need a handbrake at all. Putting the lever in park will lock the transmission and you won’t be going anywhere.

I’ve driven auto’s pretty much exclusively for over 20 years and the only time I’ve ever used mine is when changing wheels or during an MOT.

#84253 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

automatic gearbox and sat nav usually.

but if they cant sort my back, a high seating position easy to get in and out of and comfortable to sit in.

#84254 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Auto, hill assist/autohold, cruise control, digital speedo, comfy seats, sat nav, BT, EHB, folding mirrors, could list lots more but not specifically tech orientated.

#84277 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

I love the adaptive cruise control on my current car. It speeds up/slows down according to the distance of the vehicle in front that I set it to. Infact, I’ve never had a car before with so much tech in it in 40-odd years of driving. It even parks itself in a parking space although I have never tried this function. If the day comes when I need to push a button in order to park a car – that’ll be the day I give up driving!

#84278 Reply
    BigB

There are a lot of people listing tech they must have in their cars but there are a lot of things (mainly younger drivers) will take for granted as always being in cars; power steering- remember the workouts you used to get manoeuvring prior to power steering, disc brakes – remember try to stop in the wet with drum brakes, abs – youngsters hav’nt a clue what cadence braking is, powered screen washers – remember having to pump the old skooshy button to get a trickle of water out, decent lights we take xenon and led for granted, adjustable seat – at one time forward or back was the only option, I can even remember when some manufacturers charge extra to fit sun visors.

Yes we have all this new tech today but in a few years we will just take it for granted and never give it a second thought.

#84284 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Duggie your making me cry? Electronic hand brake plus Auto-Hold was a must on my short list last year and was told without doubt that the car I ordered had it but it turned out it didn’t, long story. It’s something I can get by without but it really is God sent in the VAG cars and my last car with EHB was a VW Golf and in the 4 years I drove that car I must of only ever touched the handbrake 10 times if that. Next time around I will just refuse the car if they pull that stroke again but to be honest I’m not 100% sure the dealer simply did not know that the MY19 model I should have had with EHB was dropped from KIA’s line up because of WLTP so I had a MY 18 model delivered instead that never ever had EHB but that’s another long story. I’ve got used to the old twentieth century handbrake technology again now but I still curse every now and again having no use of left hand and having to reach over to release that massive lever thing.

If you drive an automatic, you don’t really need a handbrake at all. Putting the lever in park will lock the transmission and you won’t be going anywhere. I’ve driven auto’s pretty much exclusively for over 20 years and the only time I’ve ever used mine is when changing wheels or during an MOT.

Hi DougieB

I’ve only driven automatics since becoming disabled and never ever paid any attentions to auto’s but I always thought, may be wrongly, that the “P” parking gear put a lot of stress on the mechanics of the gear box especially on steep hills however reading up on this just today after this thread it seems most folk use the “P” while waiting at lights or in stop go creeping tailbacks.

Still have to reach over for the gear lever though and like I said I could jump in the old VW, drive a hundred miles in heavy traffic and not touch gear lever or EHB when used with Stop/Start, can’t say that with the bog standard brake but if the wait in traffic is to long I slip the lever into neutral while holding on footbrake to save wear and tear on the double clutches even though its not my car and needn’t worry about repair cost, but then, may be I’m just getting the mechanics of DSG boxes wrong.

#84288 Reply
    Philjb

A Yorkie bar and the open road.

Oh music of some kind and comfortable suportive seats, Automatic box ( not cvt ) intelligent cruise. Self park as i find its so much less likely to kerb an alloy. lol

Intelligent main beam, lane assist, sat nav with digital cockpit, Aircon, my massage seat, Auto wipers and lights, voice control, remote tailgate for loading and unloading, I’ve not said the wife as she generally only talks to say your driving to fast, when I’m doing 22 in a 20  ?

The joys of living in London  ?

#84293 Reply
    Fred flinstone

An engine I’ve had enough of pedaling

#84303 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Autohold on the alhambra is such a great thing with the dsg, pull up to a stop anywhere and take your foot off the brakes and it doesn’t move a muscle, at all, clutches disengage slightly so no creeping and it just sits there(maybe the stop/start kicks in but it’s crap on mine), waiting, forever I would assume until you touch the gas and it’s off instantly, super easy driving, especially in heavy traffic.

#84309 Reply
    Georgie

A comfortable seat (Sports seat to stop any upper body side-to-side motion, but also easy to get in and out of) and good suspension (soak up the bumps but not spongy, and no dipping or wallowing).  After that, a brisk and responsive engine because I enjoy the physical act of driving as much as getting to where I want to go.

#84385 Reply
    wonky

Hi Vinalspin,

I’ve got the auto Alhambra also.  If the stop /start doesn’t kick in when held up in traffic for whatever reason,  do you put it in neutral and apply hand brake?

Ive started doing this as I read that holding for long periods in drive puts wear on clutches.

I know you are technically minded so I thought I’d pick your brain.

Regards, wonky

#84390 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

HAHA park assist is something I thought I would never thought i would say i need but errm I do, when I saw it was std my first thoughts were I would never use that… then went to see some relatives, there was a space I would of never thought I could of got into but the park assist said yes… it took a total of 9 forward and backwards changes on leaver… but it saved me parking over 100 meters away from where I was so… well…. erm I am sold on it now.

ACC is absolute must

Adaptive cruise is amazing

and on VW side assist is cool too, no more bending neck round to look in blind spot (which on a bad day is quite painful) so another must for me.

#84430 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Hi Wonky,

I suppose if I’m going to be stationary for a while then I pop it into park but rarely ever use the EHB as it’s not going anywhere for that relatively short time once in park, about the clutch myth, don’t give it head space, these new DSG boxes don’t suffer from that as they partly disengage when stationary for a few seconds with no driver input, I’ve kicked the living crap out of mine for over 36,ooo miles and it’s still fine so don’t worry.

Use and abuse is my motto, if a car can’t take what it was build to do then it shouldn’t be on sale, they make these pretty bullet proof so long as they have a gearbox service when they should, my mate has one with 250bhp in it and lord knows how much torque but it spins the wheels at 70mph on full beans and his has 80 k on it and still the original clutch.

#84431 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

Use and abuse is my motto, if a car can’t take what it was build to do then it shouldn’t be on sale, they make these pretty bullet proof so long as they have a gearbox service when they should, my mate has one with 250bhp in it and lord knows how much torque but it spins the wheels at 70mph on full beans and his has 80 k on it and still the original clutch.

That sir, is a great motto to drive by.

#84447 Reply
    wonky

Hi Vinalspin,

Thanks for that, your input is appreciated.

Regards,  wonky

#84475 Reply
    Bandit

Other than the (usually) inherent reliability of new cars these days, I think ease of entry/exit, comfort (especially over long distances) and reasonable economy are the only musts for me. Oh and a dual clutch auto rather than a conventional slush box (but that would be overlooked for a “omg I’ve gotta have one!” vehicle.

S/S annoys me, especially in crawling traffic jams, I always turn it off. Unless I set off at like 3am I’m never on a dual or m’way quiet enough to use CC ( though I’ve not had ACC yet)

Decent stereo is always a plus though.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: What Is The Most Important Thing To You When Driving…
Your information: