What have I done.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #162992 Reply
    Ian Price

Well after much shall I or shall I not I am going to order a kia soul EV 1st edition. My lease runs out in March 2022 after 5 years with the X1. I was asking myself do I wait for a decent sized EV to come on like the X1 or go all in now. The concern I had was if there was one to come on I expect the AP would be very high. So the choice was kona or soul for the price and spec. The issue was the 1st edition is fully loaded but the maxx which is replacing this has a lower spec and can’t be ordered yet. Although the soul has a smaller boot I can live with it. I did not like the drive of the Kona, I could wait in the hope that the e Nero comes on but how long do you wait. So the hunt was on for the 1st edition which was like hens teeth. In the end managed to bag a white/red one. Not ideal choice but alternative was to wait until something comes on with less spec and higher AP. Hopefully will save £ in diesel 18,000miles a year. I have made the right decision???????.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #162993 Reply
    Georgie

In the current car manufacturing climate I would say “Yes”.  Even in normal times, waiting for the e-Niro, or any other specific vehicle, could be ‘A long wait for a train that don’t come’.

The Kia Soul EV has great reviews, too, so if you’re happy with the car and willing to accept the colour, I’d say you’ve made the right decision, Ian.

#163007 Reply
    Ian Price

Hopefully in 3 years there will be more EV’s on the scheme and at reasonable APs.

#163008 Reply
    Rhodgie

Too risky to wait any longer and if it suits your lifestyle then it’ll save you a good few quid in diesel 👍

Let us know how you get on with it 😁

#163019 Reply
    Mark Holland

Well our EV arrives on Wednesday and I opened a new savings account to put the diesel money in just to see what we save and could be the best AP  money ever in 3 years

#163020 Reply
    Psuader

Shrewd and rational choice- well done.

#163022 Reply
    Ldc7080

Are you sure you’re going to order a first edition.  My dealer told me that they are only taking orders for the Maxx now.

new trim looses
    HUD

heat pump

wireless charger

electric seat

the white/red combo is gone just plain white now but a new red black combo is available

#163024 Reply
    Ian

Yes it is the first edition. Last one left from their stock of 4. The car was sitting in their showroom. So not factory order. Sorry for the confusion when I said order.

#163036 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Congratulations you are going to love it, had mine since Feb and i cannot believe how much money i have saved. Gone from £110 a month in Diesel to £15 a month in Electricity and you will be surprised just how much you can actually fit into the boot, its like a little Tardis. BTW i came from a top of the range VW Tiguan and i dont regret it one bit.

I still get people in car parks wanting to look inside and asking loads of questions about the car and i just love driving it especially in sport mode lol

Enjoy your car and dont forget to post some pictures, here is mine.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#163042 Reply
    Ian Price

Not collecting it until the end of September. Dealer has agreed to keep it until I have my charger fitted. I will post pics and let you know how I get on with it. Especially going from the X1 Msport to this.

#164749 Reply
    Ian

Just had my Anderson A2 charger installed. Looks pretty smart. collecting the Soul on Friday. I must admit having had the X1 for over 4 years I am staring to doubt myself. But I keep telling myself, think of all that diesel you going to save, there might be nothing suitable in March, the AP will be ££££££, but the doubts persists, it’s like saying good by to an old friend when you don’t want to.

#164750 Reply
    Intranicity

14k miles in the Kona and I’ve saved nearly £1200 in running cost compared to the BMW diesel, and 2/3rds of my charging has been on DC charging, I reckon you’ll be saving nearly £2000 a year on your 18k mileage, hope you love the experience and the savings!!!

#164761 Reply
    Clipped wings

Congrats on the Soul, the Koreans are producing some great EVs.

my concern over cost savings, in the medium term, is that our fiscally incontinent government cannot afford to lose the £20+ billion it rakes in from 58p per litre fuel duty plus 20% vat on top of that. Road charging is inevitable, imho.

#164894 Reply
    Ian Price

Collected car yesterday. So far so good. Still trying to workout how to set and work things. Only one disappointment. And that is there is no closing of windows when you lock and hold the button. So if you forget to close the windows before locking, they will be left open would have thought that with a high tec car like this it would be standard.

#164996 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Collected car yesterday. So far so good. Still trying to workout how to set and work things. Only one disappointment. And that is there is no closing of windows when you lock and hold the button. So if you forget to close the windows before locking, they will be left open would have thought that with a high tec car like this it would be standard.

I have zero knowledge of the Kia Soul Ian, but that does seem like an odd omission. Just a thought, but have you had a look through all the menus as it seems that nowadays most manufacturers have long lists of features that you can enable, configure or switch off via the computers? We’ve had our new X1 for a month now and I’m still finding new features on iDrive!

#164999 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Congrats on the Soul, the Koreans are producing some great EVs. my concern over cost savings, in the medium term, is that our fiscally incontinent government cannot afford to lose the £20+ billion it rakes in from 58p per litre fuel duty plus 20% vat on top of that. Road charging is inevitable, imho.

That will only happen if night follows day.

Most manufactures call it “global opening and closing” and it’s something that KIA seem reluctant to put in there cars as I was surprised when my 2018 KIA Carens never had it.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: What have I done.
Your information: