what about pick ups?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #174191 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

given the long waits etc at the moment could mota bring in pick ups to fill the gap.

do they have fewer chips as they tend to be less techy than cars?

i for one they would suit 2 seats an a load area.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #174228 Reply
    rico

I think 60% of the customer base could do with a pickup especially in cab form (front and rear seats and bed).

#174232 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Yes please, would suit me perfectly 🙂

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#174233 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

60%, Rico?  Surely you jest.

#174259 Reply
    rico

For me, anyway Wigwam, front room, space for son, and enough room to through anything I need in back tbh, I mean I dont need a hoist as of yet though, but could you image how easiy to fit any type of chair into a bed. its perfect, its not a fake suv, has enough room for chairs and shopping and (the in laws in the bed…. I  am jisting of course)

#174260 Reply
    Huffpuffin

If members feel that this is an option (as I do), then perhaps they could do what I did and actually let Motability know this. I spoke to an agent and asked for this request to be pushed to higher management, as it could be one way to add further choice to an already significantly depleted choice.

If enough voices are heard then maybe, eventually, someone might just have to sit up and take notice.

#174265 Reply
    struth
    Participant

be better with one of the van types i’d have thought.  if i have another car it will likely be one.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#174271 Reply
    mike lannin

I have just emailed them re this – will let you know the response.

#174272 Reply
    Riggers92

I have just posted the following to motability

“With the currently limited availability of cars, and the long lead times.
    Myself and a few other customers had a discussion of what we feel could fill the gap and that would be suitable for our needs in terms of boot space for chairs etc.
    (I play wheelchair sport so require a significant amount of space for chairs.)
    which led us to thinking, has the scheme ever considered the addition of a more commercial vehicle such as a pick up style body. a double cab would accommodate the passengers required with ample space on the load bed.
    A ford Ranger is estimated to depreciate by 14% compared against a Seat Ateca which would depreciate by 22% (BMW X1 30%) over a 3 year period.
    As the WAV vehicles are derived predominantly from commercial vehicles which are on a 5 year contract, if it was required to go to a 5 year contract for a pick up style im sure other customers would also take this option to ensure the vehicles suitability.

With the few points of rationale above could this be considered by motability? if this consideration has been made already could you please let me know why it was dismissed?”

Will see what comes back..

#174286 Reply
    Spenno
    Participant

Would be a perfect all rounder for me and my family! We can only hope 🙏

#174354 Reply
    X

Thought this was gunna be about girls

#174363 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

Thought this was gunna be about girls

That tickled me X :-))

I’m another who would choose a truck over anything else on the scheme were they available.

On the subject of them being technically simpler than most cars; I personally am starting to loathe all the “driver aids” included on modern cars and active by default. I’ve been a professional commercial driver for over 30 years with an excellent safety record, I don’t need to be told if the A.I. thinks I’m too close to another vehicle or white line. For all of it’s benefits it has no ability whatsoever to anticipate near future events such as the car you’re passing turning off the road or that you are hitting an apex to get a more stable line through a bend. I know these systems can be switched off but it’s too much hassle to do via multiple screens every time you cycle the ignition.

Are there any technically simpler cars on the scheme? I doubt that trucks would be any different even if they were available.

Not due to renew until November so we’ll see what transpires in the coming months. As things stand I’m leaning towards an exit and buying a second hand car for a bit of good old analogue driving.

#174364 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i agree with you there wardygtc.

#174366 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

As I’ve said before in posts I’ve created, would love to see pick-ups on the scheme.

#174600 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

For the last week, I have been running around in an Isuzu DMax DL40 4×4 auto double cab pick-up with an Isuzu fitted canopy (hard top over the load bed), which we had on loan for a couple of weeks (it saved me putting miles on the Discovery)!

So, as pick-ups seem a hot topic, I thought I would post a few notes I mentally made.

For starters, it is quite comfortable to drive. It had an electrically adjustable leather driver’s seat with an electric lumbar support. Also heated front seats. It did lack both lumbar support and electric adjustment on the passenger side though.

The driving position was quite high up (but not as high as the Discovery). Smaller people may however struggle to climb in though. A warning though, avoid side steps on them. The Isuzu had them fitted – as my right shin and left prosthetic will testify to! They just get in the way!

The leg room in the rear was, shall we say, limited. For anyone over 5ft 6ins it maybe uncomfortable on a long journey.

It had plenty of toys – Apple Car Play and Android Auto (although not wireless). Bluetooth etc. The built in sat-nav was be a bit slow though.

The 4×4 system was a good old-fashioned type with a rear diff lock (think series 3 military Land Rover’s). It is simple, but not refined like on the Discovery. I doubt you would get stuck anywhere in it though.

The auto-box, although an old style ‘torque converter’ type which should have been very smooth, wasn’t. It was a little laggy and quite jerky.

The load bed was huge albeit the wheel arches protruded into it a fair way. It could however get two ‘air portable’ sheepdog kennels in side by side with a bit of room to spare. However, access to the load area to the rear of them (i.e. the forward load bed) is very much impeded and was usually left empty as there is no side or front entry to this area with something loaded near the tailgate.

This could be an issue of you have a large wheelchair/scooter or two stored near to the tailgate as the area to the forward of them will be inaccessible without removing the wheelchair/scooter.

Incidentally, I don’t know if a wheelchair hoist could be fitted without some degree of re-engineering. The structural sides of the bed are only 50cm deep and the canopy hard top is made of resin type material with no hard points for a top anchor to be securely fitted.

The height of the load bed floor maybe a problem if manually lifting a wheelchair in as well.  Also, although the tailgate is damped when lowered, it is somewhat heavy to lift up. Not only it’s weight but you are in effect lifting against the tailgate dampers.

Other points:

Rear visibility – no rear camera and rear visibility is mainly from door mirrors only. Even though the hard top has a polycarbonate rear screen, it is very difficult to see through it using the interior cab mirror.

Also, the heated rear windscreen works only on the cab, not the hard top rear screen – this froze over a few times and needed scraping!

Also, remember the load bed area with a hard top is not heated, nor cooled in summer if thinking of keeping pets in the rear on long journeys.

The actual mpg overall was only 25.2 mpg in mixed driving (town/farm/A roads and some motorway).

It is badly affected by cross winds at speed due to its ‘slab sided’ body.

Scheme wise, I do wonder if the vehicle would actually come with a canopy (load bed hard top) as these are actually classed as an accessory on such as the Isuzu and Ford Ranger etc and are generally in the range of £2k+ extra. If you want electrics etc in the rear bed these are again extra.

Overall, there is no getting away from the fact that the vehicle is designed as a commercial vehicle and thus not as refined as a normal ‘car’ type vehicle. Whilst this type of vehicle may suit some, there are some drawbacks.

I hope the above may help if a pick-up should ever appear on the scheme.

#174896 Reply
    Mike

Here is the reply from Motability

Good Afternoon Mr Lannin,Thank you for your recent enquiry.We aim to make leasing a brand new car affordable for our customers and provide a wide variety of choice. This means that we negotiate with all our manufacturers to secure new models at an affordable price to create choice for our customers. While it is not possible to negotiate on all model types to provide affordable options, we do look to ensure that we cover a wide range of choice to meet our customers needs. At this time there are no new expected models that met your suggested description and while it is appreciated that this would be something you consider as a stutibile option we are not able to provide it on the scheme. We would hope that you are able to find an available vehicle on the scheme to suit your needs. If you would like to discuss stutibile of available vehicles or anything else please contact our customer service team who are h

#174902 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

If we were able to find “an available vehicle on the scheme” we wouldn’t be asking about pickup’s in the first place 🙁

Most of my driving in on my own with the rest just myself and my son or daughter.  The large flat load area would also be a welcome bonus.  I’m not due to renew until July 2023 but I’m not encouraged by what’s available/affordable in medium/large SUV’s currently (access requirements and I’m almost 6′ 6″)

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#174905 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

I used to think like that but having had 4 years in a rline tech with all the whistles, and lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, I can tell you depsite being ready for anytthing that happens and despite their being two foot rests in the car left and right side of pedals (is till hold over brake) after a 60+ trip you certianly dont feel like you have done 60+ miles and that makes the difference to me and I rate the tech. Dont get me wrong, I would never get in a car that drove itself as I would not trust it fully. But the current tech if applied well does wonders for tiredness on long journeys.

#174906 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Whilst I don’t doubt that, for a tiny proportion of Motability customers, pick up trucks would be a useful option – and I’m a great fan of having as much choice on the scheme as possible – I can understand why Motability are reluctant.

As has been pointed out, these are essentially commercial vehicles not cars and there would undoubtedly be people who would order them through Motability and then use them for commercial reasons, regardless of what the rules say. Before you know it there would be photos in the press of a “supposedly disabled” motorist manhandling large and heavy loads in his “tax payer funded pickup truck”. I think that the reaction to that would be even more damaging to Motability than the faux outcry that the Daily Mail generated about “luxury” cars that ultimately resulted in a cull of half the cars on the scheme, from over 4,000 to 2,000.

The chip shortage and other factors have further reduced the choice down to significantly less than 1,000 cars, leaving a large number of Motability customers without a suitable option for replacing their existing cars, and we are all hoping that the choice starts to increase dramatically asap, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath for pick up trucks.

#174980 Reply
    Mike

I know I’ve slept since then but didn’t the mitzy L200 pickup make a brief appearance on the scheme late naughties early 10’s?

#174983 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

I know I’ve slept since then but didn’t the mitzy L200 pickup make a brief appearance on the scheme late naughties early 10’s?

In Q2 2008:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q2-CPG.pdf

#175085 Reply
    Mike

Thanks Big Dave I thought it was.

#175242 Reply
    sif

I have an isuzu rodeo. We have had it a long time, its indestructible. I love driving it. My wife hates it  and its murder to park around town, simply because most spaces are too small. The turning circle isn’t great and the ride is agricultural, If you cruise around in it its great, drive in a leisurely fashion and its brilliant. Off road, bad roads, great. But as a vehicle for everyday, it you go shopping, multi stories or tight supermarkets you will always end up searching for places. Most important of all it would fail the Daily Mail test.

#185703 Reply
    Royston Matthews

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I for one would love a double cab pick up, ideal to get the scooter in the back, also my leisure fix is taking my caravan away, trouble now particularly with the style of new cars hybrid petrol or electric most if them , no in fact all of them can not pull a caravan referring to motability available vehicles, so with a double cab Mitzi or Ranger auto that can pull 3000 kgs no problem.</p>
    That would be me sorted in fact there is a number of people on motability that would jump at a chance of double cab pick up, it is a high ride easy to get into, load area for chairs and scooters, what boxes can it not tick,?ok is not so many bells and whistles but lots if folks are getting fed up with nanny state car design.

#185756 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

It’s never going to happen.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: what about pick ups?
Your information: