Waiting On A Part

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Jojoe

My partners car has gone in for a repair, it needs a part which they don’t have. Motability have arranged a rental car, but her car has hand controls and she can’t drive the rental. I usually do all the driving anyway but she does drive to the shops and visit friends and family. She now has no independence until the car is fixed. What is a reasonable amount of time before we should be pushing for either a new car or a loan car with hand controls? Any advice or experience appreciated.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ajn

Joejoe I’ve waited a while on a courtesy car whilst needing a repair on mine, could be a simple fix, however if a ordered part is needed (if even available) how long is the will this be..

So I’ve held out for a replacement car just incase..

Hopefully your partner gets something sorted if it drags on to long ..

Jojoe

Update, Motability will indeed put temporary hand controls onto a loan car if your car is of the road for a period of time.  They are a make called Lynx that are a simple two rod push pull system. They bolt directly onto the brake and accelerator pedals and don’t require any hard wiring or screwing into panels so they are ideal for loan cars.

ajn

Great news Joejoe so hopefully your partner will be out and about again👍,

late update too,  to my car went in and new part fitted, courtesy car returned late the same day..

Just be careful with those Lynx Hand Controls.

my late brother also drove with Hand Controls like myself and he had a couple of hire cars with these Lynx Hand Controls and I had to keep tightening them as they came loose easily.

I preferred it when they got cars from Adapted Vehicle Hire as they had proper Hand Controls.

Here they are on one of the hire cars we had.

I would store it like that so it wouldn’t be lying on the seat on the way when getting in.

ajn

Well that’s the first time I’ve seen the set up for this type of driving, Thanks for sharing Lee

@ajn no problem was back in 2013 but still had the photos luckily.

They ok for temporary use and my brother was grateful for them as he was without a car for 6 weeks back In 2002 as they didn’t do adapted cars back then.

ajn

👍

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.