Volkswagen Sharan scores four stars in crash test despite rear door detaching

• Creator
    Topic
  • #98570 Reply
    Brydo

Latest Euro NCAP results reveals Sharan’s rear door falls off during side impact test; questions raised over car’s four-star rating
    The Volkswagen Sharan has received four stars out of five in its Euro NCAP crash test, despite its rear passenger door detaching during impact assessments.

NCAP’s side pole impact test is the organisation’s toughest assessment, and sees a car propelled at 20mph into a 25cm-diameter pole designed to mimic a tree or telegraph post. NCAP says the types of collisions this simulates “are severe and the frequency of death or serious injury is high.”

• Safest car on sale in the UK 2019

During the Sharan’s side pole assessment, the rear nearside passenger door almost entirely detached from the car’s body, presenting a “risk of occupant ejection”, according to assessors. Despite this, the Sharan was awarded four stars overall, meaning it was judged to offer “overall good performance in crash protection”. The Sharan was rated 89 per cent for the protection if provides adult occupants, and 78 per cent for child occupant protection.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/sharan/108582/volkswagen-sharan-scores-four-stars-in-crash-test-despite-rear-door

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #98586 Reply
    Craig

It’s an old model though and hasn’t properly been updated.

#98959 Reply
    James Aitken

Shocking to see and not acceptable in the 21st century I have spoken to 2 owners who both have mobility Seat Alhambras they have watched the NCAP tests and find it shocking to say the least . One mother found it so distressing she was in tears as she has 2 years left on her mobility contract and is now  afraid to put her disabled son in the back seat..I do hope motability has the decency to help their poor customers who must feel shortchanged by the failure inbuilt within this vehicle. VW group MUST remove this vehicle from sale. NCAP are failing in their duty awarding any stars as this is an extreme and fatal flaw. The press should have a field day with this one…

#98990 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Looks like VAG group have been building them to the tests rather than to be safe… standard VAG group sharp practice.

I’ll never have another VAG group car after my Alhambra goes back in 2020.

#99009 Reply
    Just2Fish

I am as delighted with my second Seat Alhambra as my first and will endeavour not to wrap it around a tree.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Volkswagen Sharan scores four stars in crash test despite rear door detaching
Your information: